Potential Se…, Home Seller in Old Fourth Ward, Atl...

Doing a lite kitchen remodel. Not replacing new white applicances w/stainless, so what's the best resale value for replacing our countertops?

Asked by Potential Seller, Old Fourth Ward, Atlanta, GA Thu Mar 10, 2011

Granite? We're basically just refacing the existing cabinets to white, redoing the lighting fixtures, resurfacing the popcorn ceiling, adding crown, etc. We have all white applicances. Fridge and stove are very recent additions and nice (gas stove and french door fridge), which we bought before we decided to fix up our house for potential sale in a couple of years. So, we're not replacing them with stainless. However, the countertops are granite tiles, and we will be replacing those. I would prefer maybe silestone, but since we don't have stainless applicances, maybe we should just go w/granite as it might appeal to more buyers. Any thoughts on what would be best for resale at this point? Again, we are not replacing brand new white applicances, I don't care what the resale value would be. Thanks.

Answers

18
Hello Potential Home Seller,
Yes, I'm in agreement with you that granite counter tops might be the route to go as most buyers prefer them nowadays and they seem to be what builders are installing in new construction (at least in my area). If possible, bring a piece of your cabinetry when making your selection so you have a good idea of what the finished product together will look like.
Good luck on your remodel!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Thanks for everyone's responses. We went with Absolute Black leathered granite countertops (a suggestion from my realtor who helped me buy the house) and it looks great with the sprayed white cabinets w/updated hardware. The whole kitchen looks really fresh. My other favorite additions are the new crown and side panels on the cabinets, a couple of new glass door cabinets, the under cabinet lighting, built in wine rack and custom chalk/message board to cover the side of the fridge. And since we're not selling for a couple of years, we get to enjoy our new kitchen ourselves in the meantime. The best part - doing the work ourselves saves us thousands of dollars!

Now, on to the bathrooms . . . .

Potential Seller
It is a great idea to get rid of the granite tiles and just go with granite slab. Even though in my honest opinion there are materials that cost much less than granite and are just as good; when dealing with buyers just the sound of "granite counter tops" causes buyers to drool a little bit. It's a psychological thing. And I see you are in the Old Fourth Ward area so it is a good idea to have what people want. Now of course stainless steel appliances are a nice feature but not exactly a deal breaker. Keep in mind the appearance of your cabinetry as well. Get rid of any out of date hardware that may be there and make sure they look nice and are in good condition. Research other kitchens as well to get an idea of what people love when it comes to cabinetry.
Without seeing the home, since you're going to have white cabinets and white appliances, I would some get some contrast going with a deep colored granite, maybe something in the brown or black family....
Web Reference: http://OurHomeAtlanta.com
How about allowing the buyer to pick their counters out by giving back that amount at closing. Get current pricing on all types of counters pick a between price range and in your listing let it be know that the buyer picks the counters just like a "new build". Same money but their taste and you don't have to spend it untill it's sold. win win

Good Luck
Maggie Quinn
Crossroads Realty
Jackson/Millstone Office
Cell 732-299-1502
Granite is always a seller because it is considered an upgrade to most buyers. When you are shopping, maybe consider what is on clearance so your not spending too much that you may not recover in the sale of your property.
Hello Seller and thanks for your post.

Personally, I have to agree with Mack on this one. There is no such thing as "design from a distance"--at least, not successfully designing from a distance. So much will depend on the style of your home, the trends in your neighborhood, and, of course, your budget. To maximize the "bang" for your buck, there's no substitute for professional help, and it can be had for surprisingly reasonable fees.

While I do agree that the white "European" look is currently being featured in many architectural magazines, such a plan would be woefully out of place in a, say, Victorian or an older home in which the more saturated colors within the home would not be complimented by the starkness of the white. Also, attempting to "off set" or diminish the white of the appliances by making everything white seems very drastic. Many people don't fancy painted kitchen cabinets, and sometimes the better method to addressing the white appliances are reasonably priced stainless steel face "covers" for the frontsof the appliance that are stainless (manufacturers make these--check your appliance supplier). Also, changing the stain on the cabinets to a darker color can add richness to the overall appearance of the ktichen while diverting the attention from the white appliances. The best way to address the appliances will depend greatly on the colors within the kitchen, the color of the walls, and the amount of cabinets.

So, again, your best advice is to talk with a professional designer for assistance!

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty
Potential Seller, there is no such thing as good decorating advice from afar.

The materials do not matter as much as color, texture, line and light - all things that we can't see. I recommend taking on an interior decorator - they work really cheaply - to put together an integrated package that will really make your kitchen POP to prospective home buyers.
Well I think the value of the new kitchen is up to the buyer not the seller. You may like the kitchen but i the buy may think it is not atrractive at all...Its not what you want it is what will sell....
Dear Potential Seller: Silestone or Ceasarstone wins my vote but it also depends on the age and price range. Get the price right and hopefully your updates will be the "swing vote" when buyers are comparing your home to others in the area in a similar price range. Good luck.
I shopped hard late last year for the best countertop value. Granite tile, granite slab, silestone, butcher block, concrete...all for my 45 sf counter redo.

I bought 2cm Espresso Caesarstone. For the turnkey money, it was my best buy.

Let me know if you want my notes.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com
Kitchen updates and remodels are always good investments and when done properly well yield good results. In your remodel do your best to make the kitchen more function if possible. Remember the kitchen triangle; which is clear paths and easily access to the sink, stove, and refrigerator with as few steps as possible. White appliances and cabinets are ok. Just be mindful when selecting your countertopps and back splash whether they be granite or silestone to provide some contrast to give the kitchen some charm and charatcter. If at all possilbe you should also add glass to a pair of the cabinet doors. Finally if you the budget allows coordinate the flooring with the countertopps if not allow the flooring to guide your countertopp selection. Good luck! You may also view kitchen remodels by visiting http://happilyeverafterhome.blogspot.com/ and clicking on My Favorite Kitchen.
what's the price range of your home? are you not selling for a couple years or selling now? if selling now, what is your percentage of cost for granite to your price range? i would suggest hiring a local realtor who has connections to a home stager and get some local opinions on who you are going to hire to list your home. There are too many variables unknown here to answer online.
Reduce the sales price by a little more than the amount the remodeling will likely cost you. Be the best bargain in your neighborhood. We probably will all have differing opinions on this thread. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org
Hi There,
White kitchens are BACK. So, if you intend to paint the cabinets white, be sure not to use a high gloss paint. In regards to the appliances, stainless steel will ALWAYS be a better solution, but if you're set on not doing that, you may consider giving the buyer an allowance. Its a very hot commodity right now.

Finally, if you're going for a bright, cheery look, I would do a venetian gold or St. Cecilia for the granite color. I have a guy that can do it for .29 cents a square foot, which, to my knowledge, is the lowest price I've seen in Atlanta.
Let me know if you have any other questions, 678-463-3173
Winter Baserva~As Featured on HGTV's House Hunters!
More info - the floors are the original heart pine and not in bad condition, so probably won't be doing a whole lot to those. The cabinets are currently maple and have clean lines, so we're having them sprayed white to blend better with the current appliances. We'll have new hardware on all of the cabinets, a new sink/faucet, and we're putting glass in the doors for a couple of the upper cabinets. The house is a 1918 bungalow near downtown Atlanta.
Greatquestions but not so easy to answer without seeing the kitchen itself. You seem to be worried about the stainless and while they look nice (we have them) they can be a pain to keep clean and smudge free. I don't think they will be a huge issue if the rest of the kitchen looks appealing. Try to keep it bright, airy and inviting. My personal preference fot the counters would be granite. If you select the right style they look wonderful and very rich.
You made no mention of the floor. The popular trends today are hardwood or ceramic tile. If you go with tile you have to keep the color coordination in mind.
I hope this helps.

Dave Miles
RE/MAX
401-225-7418
dave@davidpmiles.com
Preferred Styles vary so what I recommend is for you to go to some open houses in your area. You will quickly see what will work best for you. Here in Southern California granite is very popular and of course holds up well. Nevertheless, take a sunday to explore and look at many kitchens, take photos of what you liked since you will have to show it to whomever you hire to do the work, and don't forget to ask yourself "why" does this area look and feel so good. The combination of materials, styles and colors put together well make things look good so be sure to take a photo of your kitchen as it is to see if a counter for example, will go with your flooring. Good luck.

Connie De Groot
http://www.buyorsellahomeinlosangeles.com
Ph 310 913-1184