Home Selling in Scottsdale>Question Details

Cari-lee Ste…, Real Estate Pro in Gilbert, AZ

Doing a fix and flip and have some either or questions.

Asked by Cari-lee Stevens, Gilbert, AZ Wed Feb 12, 2014

I have a 4 bed, 2 bath home in McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale that I am going to do a fix and flip on. I have been told conflicting information & think that a realtor would perhaps know best as you will know what clients are looking for.
1. I have been told quartz is more expensive than granite but perhaps a better investment. Then I heard the opposite today - that people don't know that quartz is a superior product and think it isn't as good. I have found good prices on both.
2. I was going to put dark engineered hardwood in the home because I prefer it over the look of tile. I was then told that generally people prefer tile for a family home because the hardwood would get scratched and that is a deterrent.
3. It is an open plan, w a kitchen with an island. The idea is white cabinets, dark hardwood floor. I was told that this is not a desired look anymore yet someone else has told me that where she lives in BC she sees it all the time in new homes.
Your input is appreciated. C-L

Answers

5
Cari-lee,

Doing a fix and flip I would recommend that you focus on budget, as long as it's in line with the neighborhood. Granite will work for the cost, because most won't know the difference. Regarding flooring, wood floors are pretty popular now as well as the tile designed to look like wood. Have you given that any thought? White cabinets are back in style now. Check out the builders, HGTV, Houzz.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 14, 2014
Thank you and thanks for the link.
Flag Sat Feb 15, 2014
1. Quartz or Granite? Choose the one that fits your budget, or the one that has demonstrateable superiority (no radon) or the one that is most embraced. (buyers don't like to be confused)---------------2. dark wood or tile? Where's the pool? What is the traffic pattern? What is the natural light situation? Are you going for the library feel or the Sedona look? Choosing neutral classic tile provides the durability value plus allows the buyer the option of any area rug their little heart desires. Could even be an incentive!................3.. White cabinets? Pecan? Resurfaced? I like that red and hammered steel look on wheels you can buy at SEARS. If you are looking for that WOW (and everyone is) recess the refrigerator so you have beautiful flush look. Remove that wart in the kitchen called the protruding fridge and you will create that Wow!!. How you finish the kitchen and the other touch-points in the house depends on the price point. One grade above the price range is your goal. Stay out of Lowe's and Home Depot.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 13, 2014
Thank you Annette!
Flag Thu Feb 13, 2014
A great idea be to preview a few properties that are similar to the home that you are going to be renovating. Then you will know what the condition is of the homes that will be your competition. Just remember, buyers want to get the biggest best deal for the amount of money they spend so when you preview homes--look at them through the eyes of a buyer.
Hello Cari-lee,

Between Quartz and Granite is there a lot of up keep one over the other? If not pick one you prefer since they are priced about the same. You may want to talk with a Fabricator to find out if the cost to cut and hone is more for one than the other. Wood flooring in wet areas is not a good idea or near entrances or exits. There are a lot of wood looking tile that you may want to consider. Regarding cabinets that is an individuals taste since this is a flip property you may want to stay with something more neutral like Alder or Maple. Have you looked at other homes in the area that are for sale so you can see what they have done? I live and work in Scottsdale and have helped several Investors with their properties so if I can help please contact me.
Have a GREAT day!
Vivien L Biggs PLC
602-615-9137
Prudential Arizona Properties
Thanks Vivien.
Flag Thu Feb 13, 2014
Cari-lee,
I won't pretend to know what's selling in AZ, but I can tell you who does. You're local builders. Check out some new construction sites and see what they are using. Part of a fix & flip is keeping your costs down and appealing to the broadest possible market. Builders pay designers good money to stay on top of trends. You can benefit from seeing their results and not have anyone trying to sell you a product. Make sure you look at homes in a similar price range to where you expect to be and realize new construction often has an appeal to many buyers, so you may want to be priced a little less to get it sold quickly. Best of luck.
Thank you Dan. That is great advice.
Flag Wed Feb 12, 2014