Tanner, Other/Just Looking in Deerfield Beach, FL

Does the location of the selling agent make a difference?

Asked by Tanner, Deerfield Beach, FL Thu Jul 17, 2008

I really like this realtor. I think I want her to list my home. But, she lives 35 miles from me, and her office is even further. She said that local buyer agents will bring their buyers so her location does not matter. My friends tell me I should list with someone who is local. I interviewed 4 agents and the one from 35 miles away provided the best and most complete plan.

Answers

15
Definitive , local seller agent is able to give more accurate info and fast response for your buyers. If do you need something right away he is just steps from you .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2014
Hi Tanner
I agree with the mind set of going with the one you are comfortable with regardless of the 35 miles difference. If she brought you a plan you like, you communicate well with her and believe in her abilitites..these qualities are what count the most in your "team" approach to marketing your home for sale. You and the agent have to be on the "same page". Good luck with it - Geri
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 22, 2008
You should choose your agent because of their ability to market effectively, but more importantly, be able to communicate with them when needed and get your questions answered promptly and accurately. Where they personally live or where their office is located should have no relevance. If you feel like you can work with this agent, and they seem like they have the ability to get the job done, thats what matters.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 20, 2008
Hi Tanner,

If you like the agent and feel she will do a good job for you, use her. There is no reason the agent needs to live close if she is good at few things. Times have changed and 80%+ of people begin their home search online. That's why all of the agents are here answering questions. If your agent has a good online presence, meaning you can find her properties easily by address, she has a good website where it is easy to find her listings, and if you do a google search for homes for sale in whatever area she is currently marketing, you should see her name or website in the first 2 pages of Google. If not chances are she will be lost in the bunch.
The most important thing is the communication that you have with her. If you can communicate well chances are you will be able to brainstorm well when offers are presented and you want to try to find a way to make the offers work. If she answers your phone calls every time you call or returns your calls promptly chances are she will do the same thing when people call her from the yard sign. Most people will not leave a message when making a "sign call" and they may be lost forever.

Follow your gut!
Mike Schwiebert REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
Oakleaf Plantation Homes for Sale!
Web Reference: http://www.MrOakleaf.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 18, 2008
This is a tough one. Normally, I would say go with whom you like the best, but 35 miles is quite a distance. Does his or her office advertise in the area where your home is located?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 17, 2008
Most areas have a multiple listing site that agents go to when they have a perspective buyer who is interested in a specific location so I don't see that you have a problem as long as the listing agent is familiar with the area and checked all the essentials for the listing. If you feel most comfortable with the agent a little further away, I don't foresee a problem as long as she appears capable.
The listing agent does not need to be in the same town. A good agent can market a property properly from anywhere. Just being nearby does not make an agent better. If you like her marketing plan, she will probably do a better job. I have sold properties all across the state of Florida.

Amy Givoni
Givoni Realty Corp.
Phone: 561-361-8555
Efax: 786-345-5806
Email: amy@givonirealty.com
http://www.amygivoni.com
http://www.givonirealty.com
http://www.shortsaledepartment.com
Tanner,
Liking an agent is a good start. Beyond the distance which would present most realtors a concern . If that obstacle is solved with you agreeing to an electronic lock box. Your agent does not need to show up and open your house. In the safety of this gadget the agent can follow up with the showing and promote the sale on your behalf with little problem. A likable agent who does have people skills goes the distance. I would go with your gut reaction. If you would feel comfortable with the choice and this agent would be a person you would feel comfortable dealing with probably others would as well. I trust your good judgement and I like your perception in clarifying distance and service as only a small part of representation.

Gabriel
Interview more agents who live in your immediate vicinity. You might be disappointed by the lack of attention that your property will receive. 35 miles is indeed quite a distance. I have seen many properties who get very little attention because the listing agent lives in a totally different part of town. I am not saying that the agent you like won't do the job property. If it were my house, I would list with someone who works my neighborhood. Tough call. Good luck.
Check your realtors track record and her office to see if she has sold in this area. Check out the signs in your neighborhood, does she have other listings? The more signs, the more calls. The bigger the chance your house will a topic, when a buyer calls on your listings or others in the neighborhood. I get several calls a week off my signs, when the buyer says it isn't exactly what they want at least I have others to turn them on to.
Check your agents track record. How many homes has she sold in your area, how many have other agents in her office sold. Check out the yard signs in your area, does she have many others. Buyers call agents when they drive around, the more signs, the more listings, the more calls to turn a looker, into a buyer. I get several calls a week off my yard signs. If its not what a buyer wants, I turn them on to other properties in the same area.
Check your agents selling record, has she sold other homes in your area? Have agents in her office. Do they advertise in the area. 35 miles in my area doesn't work well for me, or offices in my area. Most buyers stop in because we are visable on the highway and they want to live in the 15 mile radius. A refferal from your agent to someone she could recommend cloaser to you would have them both working for the sale.
If you like her and she has a good marketing plan I don't see why not. It doesn't matter how close you are if you know how to market a home.
It depends on what you want from your agent. Being 35 miles away is a bit far--but this realtor may be willing to step up and perform.

Key questions--Does this agent know the area, and the comps? Nothing is more frustrating to a buyer's agent than having overpriced listings to show--I find that the homes listed from out of the area brokers tend to be higher priced, and consequently sit on the market for longer periods of time, and get little to no showings. If the house is not occupied, are they willing to periodically go by and check on the house--making sure that the doors have been locked, the lights have been turned off, and the ac hasn't been cranked down to 60! Are they going to put a lock box on the house, or are they willing to drive the 35 miles and show your home each time they have a showing? Also, have they sold any other homes in your immediate neighborhood recently?

When you say they have the best and most complete plan--what are they willing to do besides put it in the MLS, put a sign out front, and a lock box on the home? What are their "out of the box" marketing ideas? Hopefully, you are not only considering her because she gave you the highest listing price!

Personality is only part of the equation in getting your home to sell, especially in this market. You really need to make your decision based on who can SELL your house.
Go with your gut. 35 miles is not that big of a deal if she has been successful before, has a great reputation, and a good web presence. before you list your house, tell me about it. I have a customer looking in that area.
email terry@marianschaffer.com with some details.
Marian Schaffer
The Schaffer Realty Group
877-866-8388