Alma Wetheri…, Home Seller in Mohave Valley, AZ

Does it help to have a garage staged as well as the house? Should it be empty?

Asked by Alma Wetherill, Mohave Valley, AZ Thu Jan 10, 2008

The home is on two lots and has an attached garage as well as a detached garage. The attached garage is used for parking and the detached garage is used for storage. The detached garage is unfinished, ie doesn't have electricity and the walls are unfinished inside.

Answers

6
Empty it!
You might have a great staged home and a packed garage. Buyers tend to think there isn’t enough storage in the home for their stuff. Or a great car in the garage may distract a car guy or girl (like me), you don't want the last thing the buyer to say “great car in that one house”, it is better to have them say "Great
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
I agree, the garage is not critical to stage, but the same rules apply there as in the rest of the house. It will help greatly to show it as neat, fresh and very orderly (not empty...Might give the illusion of "they didn't need all that storage, why would we?), but if this is the only option for storage of additional house items, better to unclutter the house and clutter the garage. AND staging the garage a bit may appeal to the lady of the house because her garage is currently a disorganized mess, and mutters a few choice words for her darling, but messy husband every time she gets in and out the car! (not that I am speaking from personal experience or anything....... :) ....Every little bit helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
I know it sounds silly, but an empty, or at least clean and organized garage (as well as basement) is a huge asset when showing. And a nice shiny coat of grey floor paint on the garage and basement floors can go a long way too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Yes, it should be as clean and empty as possible. As far as staging...you might want to put a shiny new BMW in there, just so the new buyers can visualize themselves there :). I just spoke to my wife, a home stager, and she suggested a coat of paint, too. But she also observed that women make virtually all the home purchasing decisions, and they don't give a...well, a fig...about the garage. That might overstate the case a bit, but she's got a point.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Does it help to have a garage staged as well as the house? Should it be empty? Yes, it may be an inconvenience for you, and it really is not a deal killer.

The problem will be with the home inspector, they will want to check the Garage floor for cracks. Once they find no electric, or wall boards, they will want to know more.

You don`t want to surprise your potential buyer

Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Sellers often neglect spaces like garages and basements when preparing a house to sell--big mistake. Glad you are giving it some thought. You absolutely need to clean, organize and de-clutter the space. Buyers want to see they will have adequate space for "stuff" and the ability to park cars there. I'm not sure what the costs would be to finish the walls in the detached garage. If it is not significant, it could be worth your return on the investment.