Home Selling in Eaton>Question Details

Bj, Home Seller in Eaton, OH

Does ceramic tile and hardwood features in a home increase the value of a home?

Asked by Bj, Eaton, OH Fri Oct 24, 2008

Does a complete ceramic tile bath (with high quality ceramic tile), ceramic tile floors, and hardwood floors add to the value (price) of a home in comparing it to a near comp that does not have these features?

Answers

10
The short answer is yes.
Depending on how much you pay for buying and installing nice flooring as opposed to carpeting in kitchen, baths, hallways and living areas, you can make out handsomely.
A shabby old carpet in a bath is about the worst way to show your home.
Not all upgrades can net you money, though. You should discuss it with a Realtor who can see the property to decide whether it will pay for itself or net you money, or if won't pay off.
The exact value is somewhat difficult to gauge, but can easily be several thousand dollars more than a comparably outfitted carpeted home. If nothing else, it will make your home the first choice of buyers when they compare carpeted to tiled/wood floor properties.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
Yes, ceramic tile and hardwood floors are seen as a special asset in our area. Carpet needs replaced every few years while tile or wood is considered permanant. Also, if you have ever had to remove old carpet you can see that it is just a sponge for dirt.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 24, 2008
Hi BJ,

Well, that depends. I think the "value" it brings is more for "appeal" than price.

It's like curb appeal for example. If a home looks good on the outside with new paint, some nice landscape and so on, it makes it more "appealing" for sure. Did it cost money to improve those things, of course, but did it actually make the home more "valuable"?

So, does it increase the "value" of the home to do cosmetic improvements inside the home?

My answer is, likely very little $ wise.

With this current climate, most people are looking for a "Deal" and worrying less about tile and flooring upgrades.

Ultimately, the buyer will decide whether it has value or not.

Best of Luck to you,

Stew Keene
Inspire Realty Group
Web Reference: http://www.stewkeene.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 24, 2008
it sure does, exact values differ depending your area, style home and price range.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 24, 2008
This is an old question, but I'll answer it, anyway, from a home buyer's perspective. I've bought three homes and about to sell and buy a fourth. When it comes to hardwoods, that definitely adds to the value. It's a rich look,and they can be refinished if damaged. But nice looking laminate will suffice, for me. As for ceramic tile, the problems I've seen include poor installation or a color I don't like. So many people go "artsy" with their tile colors. Turqoise or bright green or red or cobalt blue. All lovely colors, but not neutral and may be colors that won't work with my decor color scheme. That would mean an expensive tear-out, for me.. Even cream or beige can present a problem. I like white in a kitchen. Hate cream. I would consider a cream backsplash as one I'd had to tear out. I'd prefer a plain wall behind the countertop; I can paint it any color, or tile over it, Cream/beige tile in a bath is less of a problem for me. There are vinyl tiles that look like ceramic, so if those are in the bathroom, that's fine. If I don't like them, I can lay a new floor over it inexpensively without a tear-out. The exception to odd tiles is the retro bathroom. Those are often odd colors, but that's acceptable because it's a period statement, and the professional installation is usually excellent. It's also just cool, even if it doesn't fit into the house's new color scheme.
A tile bathroom may be the reason that your is chosen over another. However the subjective nature of an appraisal may limit value differences between similar comps. It is best to consult a knowledgeable realtor about your project to confirm return in your market.
Hard woods definitely do add value to homes. Ceramic tile can also increase value to a home if it is replacing linoleum.
Web Reference: http://centura.ca
Bj, seeing as it is about a year and a half since you asked this question, I am curious what you decided to do. Did you put in the ceramic tile and hardwood? If so, do you feel it increased your value?
I am considering vinyl that looks like ceramic tile. When you install it, what do ;you do when ome tile cracks? With an active home and heavy kitchen use (things dropping can be an issue. Changing you look requires pulling up the tiles whicl can be a chore. some vinyls can look good