Home Selling in Milford>Question Details

Milfordcondo, Home Seller in Milford, CT

Does anyone know how to be released from a real estate listing contract in Connecticut?

Asked by Milfordcondo, Milford, CT Wed Apr 29, 2009

Answers

5
Dear Unhappy Seller,
We are still in a very delicate market. The sellers want to sell and surely any agent taking a listing wants it to sell also. Hang In there. Keep your property on the market and ready to show. With back to school soon, vacations ending and only weeks left for the stimulis credit the buyer you are waiting for is bound to show up! All The Best! Diane Murray, Realtor ERA Property World Milford Ct 203-915-5071
As the seller you are hiring the broker to sell your home. This is your call and you can cancel/terminate your agreement at any time. This situation came up in my office and the seller wanted to change brokers -- there is nothing we could do but to release the seller. Make sure the broker provides you with the release form. You should speak to the New Haven Board of Realtors. The phone number is: (203) 234-7700, website
is http://www.nhrealtors.com
You could try asking the broker to appoint a different agent. That way the broker doesn't lose the listing and hopefully you get an agent you like better.

If the agent and broker are unwilling to release you, then you have to fight it with an attorney, or wait it out. You could cancel the listing if you choose, but you will not be able to relist it with someone else until this contract expires or you are released.

I hope this helps
Web Reference: http://www.danrossre.com
Hi Jack, I don't really want to hire an attorney. The contract doesn't have any type of termination or cancellation language in it (is this common and customary).

I've called the CT Board of Realtors and they weren't much of a help. They said to speak to the broker in charge of the office and see what they can do. I did that and besides defending her agent's actions, she basically said I'm stuck and to wait it out.

I'm open to more suggestions, so please send your comments.
Depending on how complicatied your contract is, you might want to contact your attorney. If not too bad you can ask your agent to get you a release form from the board web site.