Home Selling in West Village>Question Details

Dawn_NYC, Home Seller in New York, NY

Does anyone have good sites for marketing a FSBO apartment beyond Craigs List and Street Easy?

Asked by Dawn_NYC, New York, NY Sun Mar 17, 2013

Answers

12
Kelly Killian’s answer
You may be able to find a syndicator that would put you on a lot of sites, but the issue is that FSBO's only attract about 10% of the market even if they advertise everywhere they can. More traffic = higher price due to the competition for the property. The issue is that 90% of buyers have agents. 100% of agents use the local mls system which all brokerages buy into and have co-broke agreements via the system. So it is a trusted system.

Some brokerages will do what they call open listings and advertise you on their sites and general sites. But did you know that they won't co-broke with other agents, nor can put your apartment on their mls? Therefore statiscally, you are still advertising to about that 10%.

What does it take for agents to work with a FSBO? A lot of work. They need to see the unit, meet you to see if they will trust you, get a commission agreement signed if they bring you a buyer etc. It is much easier to use the local, trusted, and guaranteed mls system. Considering buyers will see 20-30 properties before purchasing a unit, can you imagine how much work that is, vs. go to a trusted system with guaranteed commission rates? Agents know what they are getting into and can trust that they will be paid, the agent/owner won't try to steal their buyer, the agent will co-broke, and you will end up attracting 100% of the market?

Nationally properties with agents make 9% more than properties with out according to the National Association of Realtors which you probably know. More than makes up for the commission rates charged.

I may be an agent now, but prior to becoming an agent, I bought an sold various homes over an 8 year period. I always used an agent, understanding the 90% statistic. Now as an agent, in my last 30 deals, only 2 have been direct buyers and one of those direct buyers was actually a real estate agent. I think that you are super strong to be a FSBO. Good luck. If you can sell on your own in any market, now is the time with the load of buyers in the market and the really low interest rates!

Kelly Killian
Charles Rutenberg
Manhattan
kkillian1@gmail.com/954-675-9915
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
I am King , Age : 22 , from Viet Nam...good hacker , good seller , good stuff , vaid 100% ,sell online 24h,verified cvv seller, buy cc with bitcoin

_Mail : tienthu5268@gmail.com

_ICQ : 612930592

_Yahoo: online.business24h

Sell cc,cvv, cvv2,snn,cnn...dumps with bin, my cvv new update, cvv 2014 ,forum and shop ,supplement,where to buy good cvv 2015.
I only sell cvv & dumps quality,high balance,good fresh and cheap all country live 100%...PM exchange
I sell cvv,dumps : us-uk-denmark-france-germany-brazil-spain-italy-canada-japan and inter vbv and non vbv need buy add my ID.
I have sold to many customers worldwide and has created reputation for them.
I need customer business long time with me, buy cvv from me only good..never bad , good seller cvv review,buy fresh and cheap cc on tool
You're understandably going to be getting a lot of flak from brokers here, and perhaps you should consider one like they suggest because you are asking this question...

HOWEVER, it's easier than it's ever been to FSBO in NYC. I have a friend who only paid $399 on http://www.hauseit.com to list on StreetEasy, OLR (which is the dominant broker-to-broker database in the city), the Manhattan MLS, Realtor.com and all the major sites brokers advertise on. They also gave her multiple, free managed open houses!

Nothing against brokers, especially for homeowners who don't have a clue. However, for those with a bit of time and knowledge it's really not that hard these days...just my humble two cents
Hi Dawn. Your question will chafe the hide of many Realtors and with good reason. I highly doubt you'll get great responses here and if you think about it for a second, why would a licensed agent or associate broker be giving it away for free?

I've done quite a bit of editing as I don't really want to be rude. Let's look at a couple of things;

First, the West Village is a highly sought after area in Manhattan. Since there is usually very little inventory there, this will be even more pronounced as there is a shortage of listings everywhere in Manhattan now. With that in mind, you should be able to get top dollar.
Second, You need to be able to price the property reasonably correctly. I know how I do that but how do YOU do that?
Third, be ready for a bunch of calls from Brokers looking to list the property. we are constantly looking for FSBO's.
Four, Be ready to deal with strangers. You'll be talking with disembodied voices on the end of the phone. Think of it as a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get, Forest.
Lastly for now, do yourself a favor and save yourself the headache of dealing with folks you don't know, who want to come view at all hours of the day and night and most likely are not ready to make a decision to purchase.

I strongly suggest you interview brokers and find someone you can trust to market and sell your property. If I can be of service, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am glad to give you a comparitive market analysis and consultation. All my info can be found on this site. whatever you decide, Good luck.
You realize that you are asking the very people who make a living by listing properties, what is the best way for you to circumvent paying us and undermining our livelihood. Strange forum to ask this question, don't you think?

I suggest you speak to a realtor who can actually help you sell your property quicker and to a much larger and more qualified pool of interested buyers than people searching on Craigslist.

You are aware that when you post this question here on Trulia you are talking to Realtors.... right?
Well if you are selling by owner, this is exactly what you need to do, find out for yourself, where a for sale by owner can post their home, at a good bad or not so good price etc. etc. Try your luck and see
how it goes, when you realize that it is a lot of work and that has not even touched the problem to find
a well qualified, ready and willing buyer and make sure the contract protects you the home seller during the process and forget having well prepared your home and seriously compared it to other recently sold homes, then you may decide down the road to list your home with a reputable, experienced listing arent in your area of New York. I and when you need a recommendation feel free to get back to us here.

I wish you the best....
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Dawn --
Why don't you try http://www.forsalebyowner.com ?
It sounds logical.
You are aware by now that the vast majority
of FSBOs wind up using a real estate agent
anyway; why bother wasting the time?
Use a good agent right away.
William J McBurney Jr
wmcburney@elliman.com
http://www.elliman.com/wjm
Dawn_NYC,
I think the question you really need to ask is not where to advertise as a FSBO, but why you would want to. It is the least effective method. Most FSBOs fail and eventually list. Those that do succeed get significantly less for their property than had they listed with a real estate professional, even with the commission factored in. The marketing capability of a big company far exceeds anything you could hope to do on your own because you do not have the access, resources or technology to do a state of the art marketing campaign.
Don't you really want to get the most money in the least amount of time?

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
Since you are asking agents the question, are you sure you are up to the task....
Dawn,

Good Luck, Unfortunately, If you have to ask "what are good sites for marketing your apartment" ? Your marketing is already inferior to the marketing that an experienced local broker at a major real estate brand provides.

The price you get is a function of the marketing you choose.

Mitchell Halll
Senior Associtae Broker
The Corcoran Group
917-312-0924
mhall@corcoran.com
http://corcoran.com/mhall
http://nycblogestate.com
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Dawn,

The best sites are those that only a Realtor can provide.
Hi, I can meet with you and place your Apartment on the citi-habitats website which has over 100,000 unique visitors monthly. My name is Sandy...my number is (646) 831-1955. Please give me a call or text to discuss.