Mary, Home Seller in 20608

Does an open house help selling houses now in this market? and what iare the advantages? is it better to do?

Asked by Mary, 20608 Sat Jun 27, 2009

it on saturday or sunday?

Answers

6
There is no rule that it should be on a Saturday or Sunday. Why not do the open house on both days.
Have your agent invite your neighbors to the open house, he should hit up at least 20 houses.
That will surely create some buzz.
Only about 3% of homes sell from Open Houses.

I have personally sold many homes with Open Houses, but this is not the norm. I love property, I generally love doing Open Houses and no one is going to pitch and sell that house better than myself, the list agent.

If you are a homebody and really want to be in your home on weekends, tell your agent that you will pass. Do , however, allow them to hold it open for Broker Preview.

Good Luck selling!!
Hello Mary,
Yours is a good question. Open houses can't hurt, but I've found that open houses do little to sell the home being held open--and that has historically always been the case. As Andy has stated below, it's usually the nosey neighbors who stop by. In our current market, most open houses are poorly attended as buyers can search for homes on-line 24/7. If you're not already listed, search for an agent who can provide maximum Internet exposure on mulitple sites and can provide you with enhanced listings (up to 25 photos) on key websites. A virtual tour essentially provides a 24 hour open house to all interested buyers. Agents who have their own websites are generally those who spend money to give the greatest exposure to their listings.
Web Reference: http://www.MIHomeSeller.com
Hi Mary,
Open house is good when the listing is new. To whom an open house is suitable? It suitable to buyers that live in the neighborhood or buyers that drive by the neighborhood .After two or three open houses the most of the peoples that drive by the neighborhood and those who are interested already drive by .
If nothing happen after three open house I doubt that it will help to sell the home. As the previous answer say. Today buyers using the internet more then ever to look for houses .If they find something they like they will find the way to see the house. However, I like to do open house in the middle of the week not in weekend . I know that if someone take the time to see houses in the middle of the week, then they are very serious buyers.
They are not the weekend lookers.
Good Luck
Michael
Web Reference: http://benichayflorida.com
My agent suggested to do it on saturday but I thought sunday is better because most working people will look for houses on sunday but will see.
Hey Mary --

We had another post about this a while back, if you're able to search back you can get more input as well.

Personally, I don't think they're as valuable as they used to be before the Internet. Now, many of us agents put up to 20 photos online and/or virtual tours to help a consumer get an idea on a home. I've found if someone likes it after seeing it online, they'll call their agent to make a viewing in person.

I've found Open Houses to be more "nosy neighbors" than anything personally. While some homes do get a lot of viewings during the open house, I still notice the majority of them being done on Sundays still.

I've found good luck with doing an Open House on an unconventional day -- Like a Tues for example when you're not likely to have much competition.

What does your agent suggest?