Carrie Mcgui…, Home Buyer in Ripley, WV

Does a home have to be up to code to sell it?

Asked by Carrie Mcguigan, Ripley, WV Mon Jul 29, 2013

Answers

7
Carrie,

It's all about disclosure! If you know of a code violation and fail to disclose it to the buyer there could be legal issues down the road.

But to keep it simple and just stick to your question...no, you do not have to address or repair the code items.

I gave you the wrong website address. Try this one
It sure makes it a lot easier if it is but moreover it really depends on what you mean by "Up To Code". That's a pretty open ended question. There's code violations and there's health and safety code violations. More info would be helpful.
Hi Carrie,

No you do not have to bring the home up to code, nor do you have know the various code requirements. The only exception to this rule is you must strap the water heater to code and you must install all required smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to code. Your local and state code requirements may vary in these areas. In such cases, the more restrictive code requirement should be followed. Lastly, you must disclose any known code problems in your Transfer Disclosure Statement when selling your home. I hope this answers your question.

Warmest Regards,

Matt
http://www.matthewbartlettrealestate.com
I don't believe so. You just have to disclose the condition of the home. Codes change from decade to decade - I've sold many homes that were out of date/code in some aspect.

Good Luck.
Carrie,
I wouldn't think so, maybe WV is different. Codes get changed and interpreted differently by different inspectors. Home inspectors are generally aware of building codes, but they are not code enforcers. If there are safety or health issues, they should be addressed. I have railings in my house that are not up to code. When I bought the house I knew they were too far apart and a child's head could fit through them. We had no problem buying the house and will be changing this when we rebuild the deck.
Absolutely. However as a listing agent I would have my seller disclose this information.

Rocky G.H. Hawrysz
Prudential California Realty
(209) 444-6610 Direct
(209) 433-2000 Fax
(209) 915-6209 Mobile
rocky@prucalifornia.com
http://www.TeamHawrysz.com
License No. 01468373