Bumblebeany, Home Seller in 14610

Does a closet have to have doors to be considered a true closet? I'm thinking about replacing my broken bi-fold doors with curtains.

Asked by Bumblebeany, 14610 Fri Apr 13, 2012

Closet requirements

Answers

14
If you are selling, I would recommend spending the money on the doors. I have sellers who have curtains and I always ask them if they could reinstall the doors. As a seller in today's market, you need to take away as many objections as possible before the first potential buyer walks through the door. Having an experienced realtor on your side during the process of getting it ready to list is invaluable, and can help you figure out which items you should spend money on and which items won't be as important. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
Keep in mind that closed doors/bi-folds will always be more appealing to any potential buyer....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
You'd be better investing in $60-80 bifold doors ( mirror doors if the room is small) since drapes will be a turn-off for a lot of potential buyers. however, it's still a closet!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
Thank you for the question.

It is for the most part a convenience for people not to be able to see in.

If you decide to not have it you may want to put one in if you ever decide to see.

Have a great weekend
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
you should be able to have casing molding, framing, drywall and doors installed around $500 or less (depending on labor costs in your area) and see a huge return from the appraiser of the space conversion to a bedroom.
Great question! Yes. Even with curtains, the space would still be considered a closet, however, most buyers will want to have doors if you are looking to sell the house. It is a bit of an investment to swap out the bi-folds for solid doors, but would be worth the expense in the long run!
I have been wanting to replace my closet doors for the longest time. I saw that my neighbor put in some brand new ones in his home and they look good. They're not bi-fold like you're talking about either. My wife has been nagging me to do it as well so I guess I better get started on it. http://www.comfortking.ca/doors.html
That is a good question. I think the answer to your question is no. All you need is a designated space for clothes. Depending on the price of the property you may wish to install doors before selling. It would probably make it more appealing to potential buyers. http://www.amjbifolds.com.au/bi-fold-doors
not typically, the doors can be replaced when the home goes on the market.
Not technically, but I think the buyers will appreciate doors. They are very cheap and easy to install. I personally prefer bi-fold doors. I think this will be much more appealing to the buyer. http://www.superiorwindows.com.au/content/Products/BifoldDoo…
There is a lot to be said for having the doors on the closets. Curtains might be something they want, but having the doors there initially is a good idea. My parents took the doors off of closets after they had moved into their last home. Potential buyers like to have options.
http://www.sunblindsandcurtains.com.au/curtains
Flag Tue Dec 2, 2014
The answer to your question is no. All you need is a designated space for clothes. Depending on the price of the property you may wish to install doors before selling. Ask your agent if it will bring you in more money or a quicker sale.
I was thinking the same thing Cathy, installing closet doors could potentially help sell the house. A lot of homes have bi-fold doors installed in the closets. I don't know if there's a standard size, but I have seen a lot of 6' wide closets. When it comes to selling a home, you want to make sure the house is in good a shape as possible. Once again, great point Cathy! http://www.amjbifolds.com.au/bi-fold-doors
Flag Tue Nov 25, 2014
It will still be considered a closet, but when you are ready to sell, it is very possible that the potential buyers would like to see doors on the closets; they may need to be replaced at that point.
I think bifold doors could be really helpful to have for closet doors. It makes it really easy to keep the doors out of the way of the room. It's easier to place furniture, because you don't have to worry where the door swings. I just think bifold doors can be really helpful in a lot of different situations. http://www.amjbifolds.com.au
Flag Tue Dec 2, 2014
Closet doors are not necessary to be considered a closet. Curtains or drapes are likely to be a turn off. If you are selling doors are the norm expected by todays buyers. If there is a small room with no closet it is not generally thought of as a bedroom....Doors generally hide the fact that many closets are too small for todays standards, so organizing and putting on doors may show better for any sale....Best to you..enjoy this great weather
What will happen if you use the curtains is that whoever is looking at the house will automatically say "we have to put a door on this closet", so they will add it to the list of negatives about your house or condo. When it comes to appraised value, they don't give value to whether you have closets or not, it is only the square footage that counts. What your house is worth to someone is a different story.