Question Details

Prospect, Real Estate Pro in 19605

Does a Pre-Listing home inspection help expedite your sales?

Asked by Prospect, 19605 Wed Dec 19, 2007

Answers

7
Hi Josh, I agree with Deborah. I would only add that this does help you take care of any issues that may result during the buyer inspection. A pre-listing inspection would give you a "punch list" of issues that need addressing.

Usually the cost to remediate is often less expensive than what the buyer will expect to take off of the selling price after they inspect. So this may be lest costly overall.

George Antonopoulos
Shoreline Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Madison, CT

800-759-6936 Office
george@shorelineRE.com
I usually always get a pest report as my pest guy has a great eye for issues regarding the home. Since having a "section I" clearance or "certification" is desireable we do this. But when it comes to a "Home Inspection" I do NOT have them done as I want the Buyer to be led by the hand by an experienced, user friendly home inspector who is going to educate them to the home they are buying.
I've found just being handed a Home Inspection doesn't inform the Buyer enough. For best practices I just don't get a pre-home inspection. I let the home inspector, who is a licensed contractor, put his license on the line when he interprets data and advises as to remedies. I don't and won't do either.
If I am listing an older home I do recommend a pre-listing home inspection because it makes us aware of any huge issues that could be a contract buster once the buyer has their inspection. It is just being proactive versus receiving the buyers report and saying oh ____! I feel this does provide the buyer with some piece of mind to choose my listing over another listing that the condition is unknown. On newer homes I do not find it necessary.

In Georgia, I know many agents that have their sellers get an inspection, an appraisal, a termite inspection, and home staging...all to proper position the listing to sell in a buyers market. The homes are advertised this way and it works here in Georgia.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 19, 2007
Josh,
I quit doing home pre-inspections for two reasons. One the buyer doesn't always trust them and just does another inspection. In that case the seller just wasted their money. The other scenario is the buyer expects everything in the report to be fixed at the seller’s expense which was not our intention. I think offering a warranty is a better option.
Michael
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 19, 2007
If it is widely promoted in your area, buyers will see this as a positive. If it has not been widely promoted, it may raise more questions than answers. Along the Jersey shore, it is not common, and attorneys widely recommend sellers not inspect prior to listing. I have heard of areas of the country where it is common to see homes advertised as 'certified' because they have had a pre-list home inspection and sellers have addressed any issues addressed in the report.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 19, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
We do home inspection, natural hazards and other inspections as needed or required by law (e.g 3R report in San Francisco) plus offer warranty.
Web Reference: http://www.cimpler.com
ARTUR URBANS…, Real Estate Pro in Burlingame, CA
Josh, most definitely. More information you have, easier it is to sell. Also, you reduce the probability of sale falling through while in escrow, thus your cost. As a matter of fact this would be great is someone has statistical data on this subject to share. As, a matter of fact in the current "Internet age", more clients know before the sale, more likely they will move on.
Web Reference: http://www.cimpler.com