Home Selling in Oregon>Question Details

CSum, Renter in Oregon

Does OR State law require you to pump your septic tank before selling your property? I know WA does, right?

Asked by CSum, Oregon Thu Mar 31, 2011

Answers

8
As Lana said, there is no law. I would recommend doing it anyway though, because it can be an added bonus when someone is looking to buy your home. Having your septic tank pumped can also help your system run more efficiently.
http://www.swenvironmental.com
I'm not sure if they do or not. I would suggest calling your city and asking them. They should be able to help you with everything you need to know. They could possibly give you recommendations on who you can hire as well if you're required to do it. http://www.triplepsanitation.ca/en/
Flag Fri Feb 20, 2015
No in Oregon you do not. The only thing required is if you have a well to do a purity/nitrate/arsenic test. I hope all goes well for you!
A lot of places do require you to pump your septic tank before moving. I was not aware that Oregon actually doesn't have a law like that. That really makes it a lot more convenient. http://www.earthsafeaustralia.com.au/products-and-services
Flag Thu Oct 23, 2014
Thank you so much! I was stressing about how I would do that as we live very far out and all the bids we've had so far were a little out of our price range. I hope my luck stays up as we put our house on the market, we're hoping to sell in the next month or so. Again thank you for your answer! http://www.dixiedrainfields.com
Flag Wed Sep 24, 2014
Do the state laws about septic tank pumping differ? I bought a house with a septic tank system recently, and I want to make sure that I do everything correctly. I don't plan on selling my house soon, but it would still be safer to know. http://www.allcountyoperations.net/Services/
Flag Thu Aug 21, 2014
CSum, there is no requirement in Oregon for a selle to pump a septic tank before selling. Some sellers do it because they want to or because it needs it. However, it is a buyer's option to have a tank/system inspected in the inspection process prior to purchasing a home. I advise my clients contracting to buy property on a septic system to have it inspected. Pumping happens at the same time. It is a matter of negotiation as to who pays for the inspection. On one transaction I did, the seller was to pay for the inspection/pumping up front and then the buyer agreed to reimburse the seller at closing, in the event the buyer went through with the transaction. The seller accepted this as reasonable because the inspection/pumping was a benefit to the seller, and the buyer did not want to risk too much money up front on that particular property which was in poor condition.
Right, Thesa. The drain field is the big problem, I see many folks have livestock in pastures where the fields are and wonder why the system has problems. Winter weather and soft ground can pack the dart over the field and case problems. The new sand systems have many more working parts and these can have broken pumps. The tank is only part of the system. But the city folks that are the lenders feel a empty tank at closing, within a short time before closing, is at least this items has been checked by someone to be working right. But standing water near the drain field when I'm there as appraiser, just before closing, could be a major problem. It's a cost the seller should pay, not the new buyer.

HLR a rural appraiser that sees the problem all the time.
Drew - first of all - I do not think you understand a septic system and if your answer could give a lot of confusion - a septic tank only works when it is full of liquid - a tank will fill in a matter of a day or two with the water that we put down our drains. When a septic is pumped and inspected during a real estate transaction it is generally done so in the beginning of the transaction - so regardless it would have the seller's waste as you put it in the tank - a septic tank is not something you go out and check and when used properly can go years and years without pumping.

Today we have ruined many systems with the antibacterial soaps, grease, and other stuff we put down our drains that ruin the bacterial break down of the solids -

C Sum - remember the drain field is important - make sure it is not being driven over or anything like that
This is a lenders requirement, neither state Requires it to be pumped. The few working parts can not be checked to be working right unless the tank is cleared out. I'm appraiser and has worked both states and neither one requires it. The lender or investor, requires it, as it can be rather costly to fix or replace. Something a new buyer was not counting on, but then after being in for only a few months have to put money into to repair.

Best to you all.

HLR
The real question is, why would you NOT pump the tank before moving out? Would you want to move into your new home only to discover half the septic tank is filled with other people's waste? I figure being courteous is the best way to go.
there is no law pertaining to the pumping of a septic system prior to a sale - however a buyer should have the tank pumped and inspected - and the drain field checked - in my area the tank is not the bigger problem if it has failed you are looking at about $2500 - but if the drain field has issue - you can be looking at much bigger dollars -