Heather, Both Buyer and Seller in Morrisville, PA

Does Craigslist work to sell a home?

Asked by Heather, Morrisville, PA Thu Jun 4, 2009

I'm trying to make sure I cover all my bases to sell my home...don't want to leave any stone unturned!

Answers

19
Judy Sharma’s answer
Heather,

You have to try all your options because you never know where buyer of your home will come from. I alsways list on Craigs list even if though property is listed on MLS, realtor.com, Trulia, Centure 21 etc. etc. I did have some success with it. It is just like any other marketing process you use to sell your home.
Web Reference: http://www.judsharma.com
oops, wrong link . . . here's the right one.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/PatrizioRE/2009/05/beware_for_ren…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 4, 2009
Heather,

As you can see from the responses below, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (similar to choosing RE agency #1, then relisting with RE agency #2). Personally, I find more success with rentals than properties for sale.

Having said that, BE AWARE of the "FOR RENT" Craigslist scam where people copy your property listing and repost it for rent. Just last week, I personally became a victim of this scam . . . . I had people knocking at my door telling me that they were here for the rental and had been communicating via email with my dead Mother! See my blog (not very well written as I wrote it almost immediately after learning about this post)
http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Selling/Does_Craigslist_wo… or google "for rent" craigslist scam.

After researching and speaking to others who have also fallen prey to these scammers, it appears that the primary targets re properties that appear vacant.

Love and Peace,
Francesca, Realtor, ePro
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 4, 2009
craigslist is a great resource as is postlets.com.
Yes, you can use Craigslist to sell a home. Just make sure you deal with people in person and not through email. Scammers use email.
Craigslist is a stone you can leave unturned!

Mass exposure is not nearly as effective as quality exposure in all the right places.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
Sergio, have you tried Craigslist?
Flag Thu Dec 19, 2013
It's free and can't hurt to try...So why not.
Whether the home is listed FSBO or with a real estate agent it always makes sense to post the listing on Craigslist as well. There's nothing wrong with the additional exposure and a lot of people use Craigslist to find homes and rentals. One recommendation, is to also advertise the home listing on international classified websites as well because of the amount of foreign interest in USA real estate. Although, posting to international classifieds might be more applicable to real estate agents.
Yes, but note that the buyer that purchases your home will be brought by an agent about 90% of the time, assuming that it's listed by a Realtor.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Heather,
I definitely think it's worth doing, but I have to agree with JR in that the people who call from Craigslist don't usually pan out. I think many of them are looking for rentals, and call on a whim.

You know what it is really useful for? Advertising open houses. I have a really good response to the open house ads.

If you're a FSBO, sign up for postlets.com. It will give you a really pretty craigslist post, as well as feed it onto zillow, oodle, trulia, etc. You can also post to facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc. It's WONDERFUL. I've posted the link below.

Good luck! Let me know if you run into any problems and I'll help if I can.

Link below:
I definitely think it's location specific and I also think buyers use it to find unrepresented sellers.
J R,

I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you. I agree with Alan who feels that the efficacy of craigslist could very well be area specific regarding real estate. That being said, I also feel that some agents are MLS snobs and don't really have much faith in anything else. They find using craigslist too much trouble to use it effectively since that requires deleting and re-posting every 48 hours, and uploading different photos from time to time. I can also understand that being a problem for an agent with several listings, but a fsbo only generally has to deal with one. Just some more personal attention a fsbo can apply to their own listing that an agent might not do. :)
I don't know if it "works", but as a buyer, I do search through Craigslists to look for houses for sales.
That's great Rockinblu! I post all my listings to Craig's List and have to this date only received 2 calls, both from bottom feeders.
Heather,

Selling property in the most challenging market is all about price and visibility. If you fll short on either of these important issues you are left facing an uphill challenge.

The more people that know about your property the better the chances of successfully selling it. Our advice is to post it in as many locations as possible but don't limit it to Craig's List. Try some others:

hotpads.com
base.google.com
backpage.com
zillow.com
activerain.com
point2mls.com
wannanetwork.com

Best wishes
The Eckler team
Hi Heather,

My professional opinion is to be very careful with allowing anyone in to see your home that you don't know.

When buyers work with Realtors, Realtors have all of their personal information. When someone just lets random strangers into their home without knowing anything about them, its dangerous.

If you are thinking of selling your home, you should consider hiring a Realtor.

There are benefits to hiring a Realtor believe it or not. You just have to find the right one for you.

Do you not have a Realtor or do you have one and want to advertise on your own as well?

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION REALTY
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com Take a read of my blog. I am also featured on Trulia as Blogger Of The Week
Hi Heather,

Obviously all the tools that you can use to sell your home are valuable. Primarily, the internet and agents are your best resource. I would suggest if you have not listed, contact an agent to interview and ask them what internet sites that they utilize to market your home.

Leaving no stone unturned is true! You must properly stage/declutter your home so it stands out and use a broker/agent who can provide the necessary resources to market your home effectively. And yes, Craigs list if placed properly is a good resource!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Frank Dolski
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
Heather,

A combination of craigslist and Zillow is how our buyer found our house. Whether you are represented by an agent or not, the blog attached to the link below may be of some interest to you. While it is directed to FSBOs, even if you are represented, there are even some ideas in it that you could possibly use to augment your agent's marketing plan. Please if represented, always keep your agent abreast of anything you do on your own, and use your agent for the contact person. Good luck.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/08/thinking_about_…
Craigslist is an additional place to market you home. First you want to make sure the home is priced right (do not use zillow.com for pricing as those numbers are rarely right), second you want to make sure it is staged well and thirdly you want it all over as many avenues as you can.

Best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to email me sean.dawes@longandfoster.com

-Sean
Web Reference: http://www.SeanDawes.com