David Parrish, Home Owner in Maricopa, AZ

Doe's it make sense to stage a home for a real estate sales brochure if the home is going to be sold empty?

Asked by David Parrish, Maricopa, AZ Thu Feb 23, 2012

We are building a new home and will move into it prior to putting the current home on the market.The home is exceptionally clean and well kept.

Answers

10
Staging with a few items helps online viewers get a sense of the space involved. You've probably experienced it yourself: it's hard to look at an empty bedroom and figure out whether a king-sized bed would fit comfortably in there or not. Bottom line answer: yes, opt for minimal staging.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 6, 2014
Hi David. I think it depends on the homes layout and flow from one room to the next. Odd spaces will throw off potential buyers as some may see "wasted" space versus "usable" space. In a buyer's mind functionality of homes are very important. I get homes staged that have obvious floor plan and layout issues, mainly seen in the older homes where rooms are compartmentalized and less open than the newer floor plans. Creating visual cohesiveness is the goal. Thanks for the post and good luck to you.
I feel it helps add dimension and color for your brochure to add some accent pieces, decorative pieces on counters, colorful towels in the bathrooms, maybe some floral arrangements or greenery. If you choose to add a few pieces of furniture I would suggest keeping the lines clean and neutral so it looks pleasing to most buyers. Enjoy that new home!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
David,
A few accent may add some atmosphere.
I would recommend selling it without staging just a few accents in the kitchen, possibly in some of the areas where you would like to highlight height of the ceiling, or something else.
Web Reference: http://www.talktosteffy.com
This is a question on which you are likely to get many different answers. Everyone has their idea of what they think is best. I think that it is good to have at least a few items in the home just so it does not look completely empty. However, many homes are selling with nothing in them so it kind of comes down to what is easiest for you and what you want to put into the home. I am a local specialist in the city of maricopa. If you are not currently working with an agent then I would love to discuss some things with you that could maybe help you out.
I believe that a home properly staged is a good thing. While it might look bigger empty, you really want a buyer to picture themselves in the home. That is much easier to do when there is a chair they can see themselves in reading a book. It also could get them to think that they like this room but I would put the couch over there. It can also help them see uses for a room that they might think are unnecessary. For example a small bedroom could be a turnoff but to see it staged as an office could be a big hit!
If the Agent stages the home in the marketing photos, it is very helpful to show the home's potential to it's future owner. Vacant homes have been a challenge as it is hard to provide the Buyer the true size of the rooms (empty rooms appear smaller) and if you think of the model home centers for new construction, these homes are beautifully furnished. This allows Buyers to "visualize" themselves in their new home.
Web Reference: http://www.farhathomes.com
That is a 50/50 proposition. The home will look bigger while empty. Many home buyers do not have any vision on how furniture will be arraigned. If the home is not in great shape and is empty they look at all the imperfections in the home. If the home is stage efficiently, not cluttered then it will show as a HOME not a HOUSE.

I work with investors that do both. The homes that are staged show much better in person than un staged. Even if you are just using for brochures, it will show much better staged without clutter. I hope this helps you.

Ted Anderson

BY TIG Real Estate

573-639-6016

tedanderson25@gmail.com
I would recommend staging a few main areas at least. In pictures (an important online marketing component) empty rooms have no depth. I once had someone ask me why I took pictures of walls and corners and I wanted to say "what the heck else do I have to take pictures of", but I didn't... instead I said, "The pictures show the walls, windows, layout, flooring..." Taking pictures of empty space is hard.
It does not seem like a great idea to stage a home that no one will ever see furniture in, except in that brochure. Empty homes often look bigger and showing the buyers what your house use to look like doesn't seem like a great idea but it certainly is not a bad idea. I just would wait and take pics of it empty.