Home Selling in Saint Louis>Question Details

Catherine Do…, Real Estate Pro in Maryland Heights, MO

Do you think Door Knocking a Neighborhood is a good way to gain business? What is your experience?

Asked by Catherine Doyle, Maryland Heights, MO Fri Feb 8, 2013

Answers

8
Like Ted said, I would only knock if I had a buyer interested in the home. I have tried knocking and sadly for the most part the general public do not appreciate strangers knocking on their doors. I myself find it invasive, I do however do very fun and cute handouts during the holidys, and when my budget allows/time permits.

I make fun goody bags and leave them on doortsteps for people. It usually features an intro to whom I am, my business card, and fun trinkets for kids
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 12, 2013
No - you would be working harder, not smarter.

Gaining new business is really all about credibility. If a real estate agent, insurance salesman, or financial services professional came knocking on my door at 5PM - I would question how much business they have if they are spending their time like that.

I would focus more time building a significant internet/social media presence. That's where people go first when they consider selling or purchasing a home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 8, 2013
In today's time, I would not recommend. Maybe an apartment complex.
I am considering doing this in the neighborhood I live. My plan is to hand out baseball schedule magnets, since STL is such a baseball town and then introduce myself. It's part of an overall larger farming plan for my neighborhood. I not expecting to gain immediate business from it, but the hope is to have them get to know my face and have it hanging on their fridge.

If you do decide to go door-knocking, please update with how the experience went for you!
I have tried door knocking around the area where I have a new listing or will be holding an open house and haven't had any response.
Cathrine,
Door knocking is always an available option.
Some have forgotten how they got their start in the business 15, 20, 30 years ago.
For $15 and a few hours on a weekend, this is a low cost, low risk option.
---
The benefits, the classroom, that door knocking presents can be invaluable.
-
A successful door knocking campaign depends on the 'value' you deliver and the strategy or intent you have identified regarding what you REALLY want the homeowner to do. You need to anticipate what they are going to do before they decide to ever contact you. Be aware this changes dramatically based on your purpose. Are you after the 90 day market? Are you establishing a farm? Are your plans to become a consistent presence in that community. Is this the launch of your BRANDING?
-
Just like open houses, they can be successful or fall flat. It depends on the mental focus and energy invested by the professional.
-
Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL,
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Movie Tour
http://youtu.be/g1H-_ny-Mnk
Annette of door knocking is right on the money. Although it may not be the desisrable way for many agents, it truly can be successful depending on your mind set. It is no different than prospecting by phone, another avenue to attaining business that many agents shy away from because it requires consistency and tough skin. But once mastered both of these avenues can add to your business.
Flag Sun Mar 10, 2013
Not as good as properly holding an open house. When I first started in the mortgage business I frequently sat in open houses, every single time I closed at least one loan from meeting the people at the event. I’ll be in one this weekend and will invite hundreds of prospects in my dashboard to attend. I sort them by price range, 3000+ to choose from, I find it a lot better than walking neighborhoods. I have done that several times, never closed a deal from it. Good luck,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Web Reference: http://jamessimms.com/
I would say it is a good idea if you have a real Buyer who wants a home in a specific neighborhood. You can ask neighbors if they know of anyone thinking of selling.