Laughter116, Other/Just Looking in Hvre de Grace, MD

Do you need a real estate license to show houses in PA?

Asked by Laughter116, Hvre de Grace, MD Sat Mar 5, 2011

I'd be "working" for the owner of the houses, not a real estate company. I'm not sure it sounds legit to me.

Answers

19
Then yes Laughter, that would require a license. The fact that your being paid a commission after the sale would make this arrangement illegal in PA. Also, no you can not advertise without a license. In Pa you need to be licensed to advertise real property for sale or to advertise your services to sell such property.

Sorry probably not the answer you were hoping for.

I don't know your relationship with this person but if you hold some interest in the property then you would be allowed to advertise "your" property. Now this is where my disclaimer goes....

I am not a lawyer, any questions regarding PA law should be referred to your lawyer. My opinion should not be confused with legal advice.
Thank you for your replies, however, my question was answered two years ago.
Absolutely! Unless you are the owner.
Yes you must have a real estate license to show houses in PA, unless you are the owner of the property. Showing properties without a license can result in serious consequences so I would advise against doing so. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to call or email me.

Don DeGennaro
The Dale Archdekin Team
Coldwell Banker Preferred
ddegennaro@cbpref.com
203-215-8400
One does not need a license to advertise property that is "For Sale By Owner". Newspapers do it all the time and I don't believe they have a real estate license or a license to sell cars or anything else that is for sale by the owners of the property in question. As far as fees go; it cost money to advertise does it not? You can't expect someone (a newspaper, magazine, web-site, etc.) to advertise the item to be sold, for free!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
If you are not the owner, you cannot "act" like a real estate licensee. Period.
Does "Craig's List" act like a real estate licensee? What about The New York Times?
Does the Auto Trader need a license to sell cars? Of course not, why? Because they are not selling, they are advertising...the owners are selling.
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Sounds like a scam. If he wanted to sell he would at least find someone in the same state as the properties. People have developed scams to steal properties without the owner's knowledge. When the checks clear and the dust settles your name will be the only real name involved and you'll be going to jail by yourself.

You need to be licensed in Pa to show homes as well as to advertise the home for sale unless you own the house. When you advertise you need to have the name of the broker and telephone number in the ad. You can have your info but it is important to have the broker's info.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
You are correct in questioning this type of relationship. Everything about it indicates you would be serving as an agent without a license.......something that could result in serious consequences.
Actually, it was the answer I was looking for. My gut feeling is that this is some kind of scam, and I'm not looking to get taken in.
Thanks everybody, for all your advice.
Dear Laughter,
If the owner is selling the house, the owner should show the house, Otherwise the owner should hire a proper listing agent to list and sell this property. Real Estate laws are specific, so log on to your states department of Real Estate to be sure. I would stay away from this one, if I were you.
For an accurate answer consider contacting the Department of State, see link...
http://www.dos.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/licens…
Sounds pretty shady to me and probably a waste of your time on top of that if you don't even know how you would do it.

If you do figure it out let me know. I'm looking for buyers too???
with additional information you just disclosed, I think you need a RE license (and work for a Broker I think). Be careful with the terms you are using "commission", "showing" , "bring buyer", "advertising" etc .. Professional Realtors do those things.
OK, after talking a bit more to the guy... I wouldn't be showing the house, I'd somehow aquire names and give them to him. I don't know if he (the owner) would then be selling directly, or if he has a broker. I'm still not clear about how I'd get people interested, if I'm not showing the houses.. Can I advertise without a license?
And, to the last poster, no, I wouldn't be housesitting. I don't even live in the same state as the houses.
The guy I'd be working for is a flipper. So the idea is, he'd buy the houses, fix them up, and set a price. Basically give me a "commision" or bonus for bringing buyers to him. (If he sells the house to my buyer.)
You may need to dive a bit deeper in to the law or ask a broker. I can't remember exactly what all a non licensed assistant can do, but I believe they can show homes, pass out literature from the agent, relay messages and hold open houses among other things. What they can't do is negociate real estate or give information (opinion) to buyers or sellers. It's a tricky fine line so make sure you speak with your broker before such an arrangement is made.

I looked into recently and I'll revisit it later after the busy season. I hope to hire an assistant for next year so feel free drop me an email and we can exchange what we found to be exact.
Only licensed Realtors can show homes to buyers. It would help if you could provide more information.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Action
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com

Yes, you definitely need a real estate license to show a buyer a house that you do not own. The potential liability is through the roof for everyone involved if something happened and there was not a licensed and insured agent involved in that scenario. Many people consider circumventing Real Estate Agents, but we do have our place. A good agent knows more about real estate and transactions than you do. Agents go through strict background checks and testing and are overseen by the PA state real estate commission. It is a serious business and a great agent is worth his/her weight in gold. There is no value to going alone or using an attorney to write up a contract when there are many experts more than happy to help. When your car breaks down you go to a mechanic who is an expert. Use an expert when making the biggest investment of your life!

Jon Christopher
Web Reference: http://realestatejon.com
basically, you will be housesitting right ?? I heard Realtor in busy area do hire people to just sit some where inside the house to keep an eye out for personal properties. sounds legit to me :)