Home Selling in Irvine>Question Details

nadinekash, Other/Just Looking in Irvine, CA

Do you need a professional stager to sell your house?

Asked by nadinekash, Irvine, CA Mon Feb 11, 2013

Answers

13
Hello Nadinekash,

Stagging is only a plus to show a home in its best possible light. However, if the home has beautiful floors and has a nice floor plan - light stagging is best. I would be happy to take a look to give you my opinion then.

I look forward to your reply,

Sheila Nadine Tucker
949-943-4934
SheilaTucker.Realtor@yahoo.com
Hi Nadine,

We are in a sellers’ market so I don’t think staging is necessary unless the property has a very odd layout where staging could help a perspective buyer visualize their own belongings in the home.

Steve Colvin
Premier Cal Realty
steve@premiercalrealty.com
Hello nadinekash,

No, you don't need one. Clean your home, remove personal items such as pictures and religious objects, and don't have any clutter. I hope this helps.

Melchor Perez
I would not say you NEED one, but they do help.

Think of it like shopping in a clothing store. Do you find the clothes look so much nicer when they are place on a mannequin all color co ordinated an well put togethert?

I may not buy a bright red scarf with flowers on it, but if I see it staged with a cool sleeveless dress i just might.

Much success to You!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Need, no....does it help make a fabulous impression, yes.

Whether you need a professional or not depends upon the condition of the home and how 'in demand' it is. Home tend to be selling rather briskly right now...so if you're in an area where that's true, than no, you probably don't need a pro.

If however your home needs some TLC, or you are trying to get the very max dollar you can out of it, the hiring someone may indeed help you get where you want to go.

Best of luck to you.
Hello Nadinekash;
Well it always a good idea to stage your home when selling. It is not a must if your home is already well decorated. I always give my seller tons of great ideas at no or minimal cost. I also do some of the staging myself at no cost to my sellers.
Here are some simple tips;
1- keep your home in a clean and tidy condition during the showing times.
2- Make sure you clean the stickers, personal notes, post cards and pictures off the frig.
3- Try to keep the kitchen counters as simple as possible.
4- Keep the kitchen sink clean at all time.
5- Keep the shoes in the Garage (avoid having all shoes around the house)
6- Have a boiling water on your stove top with couple of Cinnamon sticks in, during showing.
7- Finish all the incomplete remodeling projects before listing.
8- Keep the lawn, front and back yard clean and fresh
9- Plant some fresh flowers in front and back yard
10- No pet or kids toys left around the house to make the buyers trip over it.
I hope these 10 tips will give you some head start.
Best of Luck
Shadi Kian
DeltaMax Mortgage/Realty
949-510-1955
Hello Nadine,

You do not need one if you have a limited budget, but it definitely helps for pictures . It's all about first impression. In my opinion go see some of the open houses how agent presents the home to buyers. Get some ideas, most of the stuff you can do it your self . Who does not like nicely organized closet & clutter free kitchen area or any other area in the house.

Please contact me if you need any help.

Rekha
949-202-6106
Hi Nadine,

The short answer is no. However, professionally staging a home can lead to greater buyer interest and potentially more/higher offers. As part of my marketing services as a listing agent, I stage my clients' homes at my expense. First impressions are always important, whether it's through photos or an open house.

Joe Van Fossen
(714)584-7154
joe.vanfossen@gmail.com
Hi NadineKash,

If you do not have the funds to hire a professional stager or your agent does not offer one, then may I suggest you ask a friend, family member, or co-worker with impeccable home decorating skills to make suggestions?

More importantly you should make sure that the property you are selling is clutter free and very clean-- that includes the yard, kitchen cabinets, bathrooms, closets, etc.

Minimize as much as possible. Small details like background music playing, fresh cut flowers, home baked cookies and bottled water available may help.

If this is your primary residence, then keeping it "staged" may be difficult. You still need to live in your home! But if you can remember to put the toilet seat down, take the trash out (especially if it smells), keep things tidy (such as putting the shampoo, conditioner , and tooth brushes away) it makes it a more pleasant experience for the buyer.

Keep in mind that the price, location, layout of the home, size of the property, etc. make a difference-- no matter how well stage the home is. The quality of photos are very important.

It may be a seller's market but it's always good to make sure that your product (your property) is presented best as you can. Top dollar sometimes require top effort!

Hope this has been helpful!

Louri Groves
Prudential California Realty
Hello Nadine,

Staging does help to present a home the best to potential buyers but in this low inventory market it may not be needed to sell. Many homes show well regardless but staging can help a buyer who can't visualize how the room/house would look furnished. I'm sure there is data a staging company can show you that states a staged home sells for more than one that is not staged.

There are also different levels of staging, you can do a little or a lot depending on your budget and the need. Your stager not have to be a professional stager but they do typically have access to more furnishings and can help show your home at its best.

You don't mention if your home is currently on the market or not. If it is and it is not getting any activity staging may not be the issue. Have your Realtor get feedback from other Realtors that have shown the home or feedback at a broker preview or at an open house.

Good luck with your sale,
Brian Wilson, Realtor
DRE# 01321478
949-933-0852
If you are looking for maximum sales price to take as much equity from the sale as possible this might be a great way to do it. We offer this service for all of our clients. Contact me for an interview.
Hi Nadine
I think the question really might be, do you need a professional stager to get top dollar for the sale of your house. My personal opinion is you need the advise of a realtor regarding this question (someone in the business who has seen the other homes and hears what buyers think). Some homes need outside help and some show well. We are all use to our homes and furnishings that work for the way we live (realtors included who have their own homes on the market). I think it's best to get an outside opinion.
No need to have it staged but will look better and presented better.
Look at the video and see if YOU can do the job as well.
Web Reference: http://youtu.be/NOzgCUnu7tg