Home Selling in Woodside>Question Details

Joan, Home Seller in Woodside, CA

Do you have any suggestions for getting realtors and buyers up to the Skylonda Area. We have a beautiful home, but no lookers.

Asked by Joan, Woodside, CA Tue Mar 2, 2010

Answers

12
Is it staged? If it is staged, make sure you have EXCELLENT photos on the MLS. Most real estate photos are really poor and you would be amazed at how that makes an otherwise sellable home difficult to sell. Always have a good, clear photo of the front as the lead photo. Virtual tours done by a professional are great too.
Web Reference: http://www.showhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 2, 2010
I remember riding my bike up in the Skylonda area! I believe you will need to market very personally and creatively. The weekends at Alice's restaurants would be a good time to clearly sign open house events; also I would promote to the equine community in that area as people who like horses like to be in that area.

In the winter months, there is a lot of Christmas tree traffic, so you might say something like "visit the house and get $5 off of Xmas tree park," and get with the Xmas tree park to get a coupon because they like the business too.

Additionally you want to just FLOOD photos so maybe 35 to 45 photographs of the home showing every single angle so that people who are considering visiting will get that feeling before they have to make the drive.

Then I would make sure to publicize to every agent who has represented a buyer or seller in Skylonda for the last 24 months. Because if they have, they may have other buyers who they can "wake up" by sending them information about your home. I would extend this into Pescadero and down into La Honda and possibly Woodside.

I would also give the house a story. Something interesting, do the research (or your agent can do this). Figure out how to talk about it so it sounds extremely interesting. Historical facts that will set it apart. You may not have those, but if you can find anything out about it that makes it unique and different, this is an attractive thing.

Then also post on craigslist every week for at least six months. Because you never know when it will catch your buyer's eye.

And finally I like to get a "sold" rider and place it inside your bedroom so you look at it every morning. I know that is slightly unusual but seeing it "done" is a good way of opening up to opportunities and getting clear.

I wrote a blog about clearing clutter, that is a timeless bit of wisdom you shouldn't over look.

I love that area of Skylonda and rode my bike a lot in that area as a child. It is so beautiful!

give away a free helicopter with the sale of your home.
Hi Joan,
As a neighbor and a Realtor who intimatey is aware of the Skyline Market, the Skyline Area has been very tempermental over the past 12-16 months. Last year sales were low as buyers simply perceived the value of the offer Skyline homes to be overpriced. This is truly this issue that seller along Skyline are facing.

I recommend looking at your price point and then look at the competing homes in Redwood City Hills. If your home shows nicely (free of debris and pet eveidence) and is priced correctly, your home will sell.

There are many buyers who want the "country" life style... but don't want to overpay.

I hope this information is helpful. Kindly, Athena
Hi Joan,

Your question was duplicated on our site. You can thus find additional answers via the link below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
The Internet is a very strong tool to sell homes. Hopefully your agent has your home listed on other sites other than just the MLS, although that's the best.

Because the market has changed so much in the last 2-3 years, it takes longer to sell properties than what we are used to. Try and be patient.

Location, condition, and pricing are very important in any market. Since you are located anther 15-20 minutes from Woodside, the pool of buyers is probably smaller.

This is what you should ask your agent to do. Ask them to have a REV, it's a revue of your home by local agents who know your market well. Maybe your agent can host a lunch, and then offer the agent who comes closest to the selling price a gift for $100-$200. This will allow the two of you to go over the pricing of the other agents that have no emotion or anything to lose and will give you their honest opinion.

The worst thing an agent can do is to over price a home. In any market. If your agent is using the Internet, holding open houses, and hosting broker tours, It's probably not your agent s fault your home is not selling.

You might also ask your agent is he has a "Ping" system to they can email your listing to all the other agents.

Hang in there.

Tap
Cashin Company
http://www.DavidTapper.com
http://www.TeamTapper.com
650-403-6252
Hi Joan,
I haven't seen your home & how it is listed.
Are there lots of attractive pictures (most MLS sites allow up to 25 pictures) of your home & any views?
Does the home show clean, uncluttered, in good repair & free of 'smells'?
Has your agent placed it on popular websites sites with lots of pictures?
Are the showing instructions simple? i.e. 'Call First & Go Direct' or difficult 'Appointment Only' or/& 'No Lockbox'?
Are you willing to help the buyer out & pay closing costs for them?
& probably most importantly: IS IT PRICED TO SELL? When was the last time your agent gave you a CMA to show you how your home compares? If it has been 2-3months, it is time to do one again.
Properties are selling, even in 'unique' areas.
Good luck & hope that helps!
Trevolyn
Joan
You might want to look at the link below.

It looks as though homes are selling, however not yours. It also appears that home values are dropping about one percent per month.

I would ask your Realtor to show you how many homes, like yours, have sold since your home hit the market. Buyers are looking for value. When sellers need to sell in a buyer's market, that means that if you are not getting showing activity, buyers and their Realtors do not see enough Value in your property.

The easiest (but not the only) way to increase value is to lower your price. If the link below is accurate, and you need to sell, it would be best to sell sooner than later. Note that it is common for the commission rate to be higher than average for properties that have issues, such as accessibility, condition, or other features that might be negatives to getting Realtors to show your home.

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Joan,

You might want to have a look at the blog attached to the link below. While it's directed to FSBOs, you may find some ideas in it to supplement your agent's efforts even if you are reresented. If you do have an agent, consult with him/her before doing anything on your own, and always use the agent as the contact person. Good luck.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/08/thinking_about_…
Hi Joan

I can see that you are discouraged about the lack of activity on the sale of your home.
The market overall is still sluggish.
In times of difficulty and uncertainty, people tend to opt for the familiar, for the safe comfortable choice.
Skyline and Skylonda is not for every buyer.
Many find the drive up La Honda Road difficult. Commutes to work are longer from Skyline than from the flats.
Families with kids may prefer to be closer to schools, shops, Little League practice, and AYSO soccer.
The trend the past 10 or 15 years in real estate has been for people to desire "close-in" locations - where they can walk to stores, schools, restaurants etc.
So the buyer pool for Skyline is more limited than for other more "conventional" locations in the flats.

So your home must be very attractively priced and show very well to attract any interest.

Your agent should have a virtual tour and lots of photos of your home and property so that buyers can look without taking the time to drive up and see your home.

Perhaps you agent could hold a broker's tour and offer a $100 gift certificate to a few realtors who come take a look.

If you property offers outstanding value compared to the same house in the flats, then a buyer may trade the nicer house for the longer commute.

I started selling real estate in 1978 out of an office in La Honda. For years, I was up and down Skyline showing and selling property. And I can tell you, buyers for Skyline are a special bunch - they need to want something different and be willing to deal with the cons of living on Skyline in exchange for the benefits of living in such a beautiful area.

So be sure your home is priced aggressively, shows well, and is marketed properly. Be patient.

Contact your agent and review with him/her what their marketing strategy has been so far.....you may
have questions for them and realize that there are a lot of variables for marketing a home in your
area ......... what prompted you to buy your home??? what were the attractions for you??? And appeal
to that market......Best of luck to you. Donna Black
Web Reference: http://www.donnablack.com
I am the District Chair for the Menlo Atherton District of Realtors. We used to have a tour day once a month for properties in the Skylonda/La Honda area so that when we went on tour, we could see all or most of them at one time. Why don't I see if we can put that together again and ask the agents/Realtors who have listings in that area to try to put them on tour on the same Tuesday of the month. Does that make sense? If it is easier for the agents to see the properties, the more of a chance they will tour. Hope that will help and thanks for the question!
Lisa Keith
Web Reference: http://www.redhawkre.com