Trulia San A…, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Do staged homes show better than empty homes?

Asked by Trulia San Antonio, San Antonio, TX Thu Dec 13, 2012

I guess it's unanimous! When a property is empty buyers often focus on minutia - since there's nothing else to look at they're looking at every small flaw. It's also difficult to judge whether furniture will fit. I can't tell you how many times I've had people remark in an empty bedroom that they wouldn't be able to fit their bed - but I saw it the month before the sellers moved - with a bed of course. It also works wonders when the floor plan is quirky in some way - a good stager will make the rooms work. Staging helps with marketing too since you'll get much better photos than you would of empty rooms.

Even though people will say "Oh I can see past the staging" they really do get drawn in when a place is well decorated. It's about creating fantasy and desire to some extent - you too could live in this beautiful space.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
Yes! I had a listing that was empty. I talked the seller into putting furniture in the home and it SOLD!! With furniture in the home people can get a feel for the space and get a idea if their furniture will fit the space.
Mark Couture MSgt, USAF Ret., Broker, Owner
Couture Real Estate
Not only does a staged home show better, it sells faster and for more money. This is certainly a tool any seller should use to get the most out of home sale.
A resounding YES ! ! ! !

If you have visited any of the model homes around town, you will have seen that the builders themselves have interior decorators stage the homes and arrange the color schemes to make the most appeal to visitors.

From my former years in the Marketing industry, let me remind you that the best way to sell a product is to 'demonstrate' it, much like info-mercials. One must show how well it works. Such is the case with staging a home. Otherwise people will look for the reasons why 'not' to buy a home and easily talk themselves out of it for simple reasons such as oddly placed electric sockets, color schemes or the layout of the house.

I highly suggest it to any seller with a vacant home on the market.
YES YES and yes....

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more or

Check out my website at
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
Always! You need to appeal to everyone. Some people are not creative enough to imagine where all their furniture can go and some people are. Staging a house makes it feel like a home!
Yes! It's almost a hands down, WOW! when home is expected to a shell of a home.

Why do you think model homes are first vs. a questionnaire of prospects needs at a new home development? They aren't running you off to see the empty shell. They want you purchasing their limited inventory based on your EYES not your pocket book. Now imagine your the 1 house who was STAGED? $$$,$$$ is right!

Probably 1:100 homeowners actually take advantage of staging unfortunately. Every time I walk a buyer into a staged home I think to myself "Now there is a REALTOR and SELLER who are communicating effectively together to a goal!" Never forget...You get 1 chance to impress a buyer!

Before entertaining a for sale listing I recommend a REALTOR take their seller prospect out to view the direct area competition (inside/out). Its so important to share with sellers what they are up against when buyers are window shopping your home be it from an in car drive by, in person walk thru, or even internet photos. You want your prospective seller to identify what their homes strengths and weaknesses are vs. the current market place. It can also help you the REALTOR identify reasons a prior agent may not have previously sold the sellers home or worse yet why a :"For Sale By Owner" idea didn't go as planned for your prospects. Now once back at sellers home I would ask seller to view their home from the perspective of a buyer getting out of the car AFTER leaving all those OTHER homes. Ask them to compare/contract starting from the curb. Take notes! Sellers almost always create their own homework at this point. Have the heart of a teacher and follow up on their progress. At that moment I would drop in a recommendation for how to their home from the competition...STAGING!

IF cost is an issue write into your listing contract that the REALTOR will pay staging fee's up front. When the home SELLS the sellers will as agreed reimburse the agent. Now that is a REALTOR who has literally into selling your home start to finish! This is simply one method of how to get it done. Negotiate REALTORS! Think outside the box. You will be required to do so for your seller IF/WHEN you get an offer from the buyers agent.

Goal: Combine the heart of a teacher with the focused willingness from your clients to help customize/design a sold package.

The best staging I have seen in person was from a company called By Design:
Resounding yes! I'm an investor, and recently renovated a 2400 sq. ft. 3/2/2 in the Eden Subdivision in NE San Antonio. I advertised it FSBO at $159,900, had it professionally staged, and held an open house; I ended up selling it to a couple who came to the open house - everybody who came through loved the staging, and I believe it was a key factor in selling the house that first weekend.
Yes! We live in a very creative world and people respond to "the looks of the home" when it is presented in a decortated stage. The monetary investment a seller makes in staging turns the property from a "house" to a "home" and homebuyers appreciate the efforts. Builders have been staging model homes for years......they know the value of the money spent to make their homes show well. Professional stagers have the talent to give a house warmth, give it depth, add current trends and accents and they can make a room "pop".
Yes, I just started hiring a professional stager for my listings this year. It DOES make a difference! She only made a few changes and in most cases the seller did not have to go out and purchase anything new so the cost was extremely reasonable for everyone!

Let me know if you would like her contact information if you plan on using a stager!

Amanda P. Herring
Realtor, Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
The answer is: Yes, absolutely! Staging can make all the difference in the sale of your home. Call me if you want to find out more.

Look forward to helping!

Pamela Rothe, REALTOR, CNE
210.861.7350 - Direct Line
My opinion is: Yes. But not all sellers like the idea.