Home Selling in Brooklyn>Question Details

Trulia Brook…, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

Do fruit trees generally increase the desirability or resale value of a house?

Asked by Trulia Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY Wed Feb 13, 2013

Answers

7
Based on my experience I would say that it will not have an effect for homes sold here in Brooklyn. With trees in general, the shade they produce is usually appreciated by buyers, plus trees often times will filter out street noises making the house quieter. With fruit trees, when the seasons change they can be messy (imagine berries all over the ground) and if they fall into the property next door the neighbors may not like it very much. I would also point out that in some cultures and/or religions, it is against their beliefs to remove a fruit bearing tree. Hence if the buyer who had these beliefs didn't like the fruit trees for one reason or another, they often will opt not to purchase the property or ask the homeowner to remove said trees before the closing.

All in all, I think it balances itself out, some buyers appreciate it and other may not. In my opinion, it is nothing to lose sleep over.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Good call on the messy factor!
Flag Wed Feb 13, 2013
As with anything in real estate, if it looks good, then it'll add to the desirability of a house. Well maintained fruit trees add a lot of value in prime neighborhoods.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 13, 2013
I realize you're in Brooklyn, and my opinion here in Los Angeles would be a little bit different (we don't have deer in my neighborhood), but most of my buyers eagerly point out fruit trees when I take them to homes. Whether it's a novelty or not, most consider it a plus rather than a minus.

Trees in general can raise property value by up to 10%. Fruit trees won't necessarily bring more or less than that, but if they're well places and properly maintained, they can make a property stand out more than a common Carrotwood or pine tree would.
I think that trees so add to the aesthetic value, but can't say if it will have a profound effect on price. One thing to consider is that sometimes a tree placed too close to the house or concrete can cause problem as they grow, and this clan adversely effect the value
No. They are a novelty and should be put there only if you want them. Through my experience they can be very dirty if not maintained properly. Try going for a low light type tree or one of the many varieties of evergreen. they shade, easy to maintain and adda tough of class to any home.

This is New York City, you want fruit, go to an open market on the weekend...
They're all over the place!

Luke Constantino
REMAX NEW YORK
(212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
261 4th Avenuue, Brooklyn NY 11215
Lol... Fruit trees that attract animals (deer etc) may not be desirable in some areas but won't hurt a sale. Does a fruit tree grow in Brooklyn?
In Brooklyn, not many fruit trees in front of the house but honestly whatever the market value is on the house that's what they can get even if there were three fruit trees. I had sold a coop that had a cherry tree by the window it was beautiful but the apartment I sold and the one upstairs who had no cherry tree access were in the same price being sold. What some people may like others may not care. But I'm sure it would look pretty. Jeannette Batsikas