Home Selling in San Jose>Question Details

Home Owner, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

Do fireplaces increase or decrease a home value? What do buyers think about gel or electric fireplaces instead of the traditional wood burning or gas?

Asked by Home Owner, San Jose, CA Thu Apr 12, 2012

Answers

36
Wood burning is most popular but if it has a gas starter that's always a plus.
Are you adding or changing your existing fire place?

There is a romance to the sound and look of a fire. Wood, then Gas, Gel and Electric have never been on my buyer's wish list for a fireplace.
Web Reference: http://www.TerriVellios.com
Yes, definitely. A fire place is an option other than traditional heating via a gas furnace.

A wood fire place is better than gas, but a gas fireplace is better than none.

A gas fireplace with mantle and a good screen, generates at least $10K to $15K in value.
A wooden fireplace with an exquisite, Mantel and screen can generate much more depending
on the Area in San Jose.
But a broken chimney costs you $10K.

A fake fireplace are great for decor and staging, adds some value if well placed in a corner.

Ruth

http://www.ruthandperry.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 18, 2012
Fake is not popular, in fact, it causes some disappointment.
Increases in value - yes, also home insurance premium...

Irina Karan
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
Fireplaces increase homw values. The amount is difficult to pin down.I've found that they want a real flame even if it's gas. A crackling fire on a cold wet night can't be beat. Now we have to contend with "Spare the Air" days. A Buyer has to understand that there are maintenance costs to have the chimney cleaned and inspected especially after an earthquake. There is also the cost of firewood and/or gas .Very few people use them for heat anymore but for atmosphere especially over the holidays, they add to the "Homeowner experience".
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
Personal preference. That said, if you mean by electric (fake) I don't think they have any value whatsoever. I have two fireplaces in my home. One has an insert. The insert is great and produces a lot of heat. In fact I don't even have to run the forced air heating when I use the FP. It radiates all through my home and it's 4500sf.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
not all electric fireplaces are the same, some now look more realistic than gas fireplaces
Flag Fri Apr 11, 2014
Buyers would tend to go with wood burning, then electric, then gel,but quite frankly none of my buyers have ever a fireplace as a "must have" or a deal breaker. With that said a tastefully done fire place does add some value if it really accents the room.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
Certified Distressed property Expert
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
A fireplace is alway preferred by the buyers, I will also go with the same as below, wood and gas.
If you are adding one to your home, make it functional, and scale to the room/area. Sometimes fireplaces seem that they don't fit in the room or don't belong there. Good luck with your remodel.

Monica Goyal
Coldwell Banker
DRE 01781926
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
Gas and wood are good. Electric / inserts are a pain to deal with.

Jim Mauldwin
Intero Real Estate
408-482-0992
DRE # 01125280 since 1991
Web Reference: http://jimmauldwin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
I think that for the most part, having a wood burning stove is the most liked option. I have found that they give off more heat, so they are more effective. I would say that you should probably look into getting a good wood burning stove, because that will probably bring in some good attention to your home, and probably also some more value! http://www.alpinefireplaces.com/find-a-showroom/boise-id/

It is a wash nowadays with most of my buyers. Most of them are not looking for a fireplace of any kind.

Arpad

Arpad
I think it really depends where the location of the property for sale is. If it is within an area that definitely requires a fireplace during the cold season, then obviously having a fireplace pre-installed would increase its value. However, if the area can actually make do without the need for a fireplace, then having one already installed will only reduce the property price as it is considered as a liability which will incur costs should the new owner need to remove it or have it filled and closed.
I find that Buyers most ofter prefer the natural gas fireplaces. However, I do believe the gel fireplaces may become more and more popular as people become more aware of their existence.
In my area, new homes do not have wood burning fireplaces due to pollution issues. It's expected that the fireplaces will be gel or electric.
A fireplace is definitely a positive. Some buyers in our area have one on a must have list for buying a home. A wood burner with a gas starter is great, as a future buyer can add gas logs if they like. If you are adding a fireplace to an exiting home, a wood burner wood be too expensive, unless you are adding a room. In that case, we suggest a fireplace with gas logs, venting outside preferably.
Depends on location and buyer. Electric or Gel fireplaces don't add any value and in some cases add negative value If you're going to bother do wood or gas. Honestly this is the type of improvement that you'll be lucky to get a real return on.
I'll answer this from the perspective of a potential future home buyer. My preference would be for a wood fireplace. In fact, I would like more than one wood fireplace in the home. My reasons for liking wood burning fireplaces over alternatives is that I like the sound of wood burning, I like the thought of not having to depend on a gas or electric fuel source, and I simply enjoy chopping wood and lighting wood fires. http://www.artisanmantels.com
The replacement cost of a fireplace can be adjusted to the home value.
It seems like it does add value, but I wonder how much longer before wood burning fires are banned completely in urban CA like in many European cities?
Fireplaces are popular in the Northeast and can be a make or break item. From what I have observed it is most often a plus.

However there are consumers who are very concern about pollution especially with a wood burning fireplace therefore it could be a negative.

The type of fireplace is a personal choice so I don't have an answer to that.
Any type of fireplace will enhance the value of home. Otherwise it can be a deduction in value. It is the existence of the chimney which allows for the flexibility later alternation.

Sam Shueh
KW Realty, Cupertino, CA
\http://x299322.yourkwagent.com/
My vote! Wood burning fireplace all the way! Gas is good but a natural wood burning fire is awesome! I know because we have a wood burning FP in our Brooklyn home.
I think fireplaces increase the value of a house. It makes the home feel warm and cozy and could be a good focal point in the living room if designed right. I feel that electric fireplaces are becoming more popular as opposed to your wood burning fireplaces because it is easier to maintain, not a lot of clean up needed and starts with a flick of a switch. It does not produce the poisonous CO gases that could cause smoke inhalation and side effects. Also if you live on CA, sometimes we get quite a few Spare the Air days when this feature in a fireplace is great.

Amit Singh
http://Www.amitsinghomes.com
I couldn't imagine a situation in which a fireplace would decrease the value of a home. Fireplaces are essential features, especially in expensive homes. This article may provide insight for those who are seeking answers:

http://bit.ly/1cLQmc0

Gel and electric is also a viable option. Hope this info helps. :)
I think in the colder parts of the country a fireplace does add some value.
I can tell you my clients here in Minnesota view fireplaces is a must. I believe that appraisers will give you a certain dollar value for having them. However if they are not wood-burning or gas I don't believe there of any monetary value

Tom
Although I am on the opposite side of the country, a traditional wood or gas fireplace does add value. Tough to say exactly how much....depends on the size, quality of build (masonry, slate, etc), but a typical wood or gas fireplace in this neck of the woods adds about $3k - $5k in value. Electric or gel are not typical in this area and wouldn't offer any additional value.
Fireplaces do ad value to the property in the North East Part of the country. Gas or wood bruning is a personal choice
It absolutely increases the value of homes whether gas or wood-burning, especially in our area. I agree with Jennifer - It is a personal preference. More and more, I see buyers will NOT entertain a home without one, and it is almost always on their "must" list.
In my book gas increases value and wood decreases value. Gas logs do not destroy the flue of the fire place; I have had several deals go bad because the home inspector demanded the flue be relined at a cost of 2000-2500. Most people do not properly care for the fire place and if the home is 20 years or older 90% of the time there are issues.
These answers made me giggle! For ever agent answering that gas is better that is an agent that answers that wood burning is better. I think it is personal preference! Yes, a fireplace adds value...but only if the buyer wants a fireplace!!

Have a great day!
Please review your answers before posting. There are two glaring errors.
Flag Sat Oct 4, 2014
Fireplaces add value, preference is always on a fireplace with an actual flame, even if it's just gas.
The buyer demand is for a wood burning fireplace, even if that fireplace is never used.

There is always the possibility that the buyer could use the wood burning fireplace if the buyer wished to do so.

The wood burning fireplace does add to the Fair Market Value of the house.

The other types, do not any any amount of value that is detectable.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.
My buyers enjoy gas fireplaces, especially with good quality inserts. This is especially true now that there are so many "Spare the Air" days in the bay area. On these days, wood burning fireplaces are very limiting...and not good for our environment!

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors - Pleasanton
925-998-1284
sblaze@apr.com
Oh wait, I see you are in 925 CA area code. I realize you really know a lot about cold weather and wood burning inserts/stoves for fireplaces. LOL Your average cold temp is only 39 degrees. Please... put on long sleeves and truck on.
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
The modern wood burning stoves put out less bad gasses then most natural gas furnaces do. The modern wood stoves have a catalitic converter in the top of them that re-burns the gases as it washes it back over the front door. It is like a constant back draft when burning. The exhaust temps at this point are anywhere from 900 to 1600F. The forest fires that are now claimed "good" for the environment puts out more particulate matter then wood stoves do now. So exactly where are you getting your facts from?

Gregg Hicks
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013