Cailineire, Other/Just Looking in 60614

Do dogs reduce the value of a condominium building?

Asked by Cailineire, 60614 Tue Jun 16, 2009

Answers

11
I would like to add something though, when it comes time to sell your unit, make sure dogs (all pets actually) are out of the condo unit. Some people are allergic to or do not like dogs/cats. You don't want them to get a bad vibe off the top if they do not like pets. We just sold our place, and I made sure to take out our cat and litterbox for every showing/open house that I could. To prospective buyers, it was as if we did not have pets. So, yeah, it is good if the building allows pets, but you do not want it to be a zoo either.
This is an old question that seems to have come back up, but is still very relevant. For dog lovers no. But for those with pets, it sure can if owners are not picking up after them or if the dogs are barking day and night
In my opinion it's a personal preference. There are many people that own dogs and have a difficult time finding a place to live. On the other hand, if someone has allergies or is simply not a dog lover, then they probably wouldn't see the value in it.
Since so many people today have dogs, I think it is a plus for a condominium building to allow dogs and gives it greater exposure to potential purchasers. The main thing is to keep your unit clean and free of clutter, with no scents that would turn off buyers.
Many people love pets but this is a catch 22 because some people have allergies. It depends on your preference for pets or now.
In most cases allowing dogs means exposure to more buyers, especially here in Denver. Having an actual dog and not taking the proper steps to maintain a clean home will obviously decrease the value, as will any animal (humans included).
There are pros and cons. Allowing dogs will increase the amount of potential buyers who do have pets ans are looking for a new condo. IF the condo is run well, the affect of pets aka know as their waste, is cleaned up promptly, dogs are on leashes and they are seen and not heard through the walls. It is when barking is heard by neighbors and waste litters the common area that value can fall fast.
The pros and cons to all the issues probably even out to a net gain of zero.
There is no evidence that supports a reduction or increase in price in buildings that allow pets. I would say that since Chicago is a dog-friendly city, not allowing dogs in a building decreases the buyer pool.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013
My opinion....no. Think of it this way....in a perfect world when you go to sell your place you want to be marketable to 100% of buyers in your price range. If you live in a building that does not allow dogs you won't hit that 100% since all dog owning buyers in your price range will not look at your building. Now, you can counteract that with a non-dog owner who will be more excited that your building does not allow dogs and might pay a slight premium to own in your building. But overall it will just not have an effect on value in either direction in my opinion.

Good Luck!!
No, except in rare cases. Allowing pets (especially dogs) is more likely to improve sales.