Home Selling in Tucson>Question Details

Guy Blume, Real Estate Pro in Alameda, CA

Do agents hold open homes in Tucson?

Asked by Guy Blume, Alameda, CA Sat Oct 6, 2012

My listing agent tells me Tucson agents don't hold open homes and that even if they did, there is no way for the public to know since open homes aren't advertised on the Internet. Is this accurate?

Answers

17
David Hopper’s answer
What your agent told you is not at all accurate. There are many open houses every weekend and some during the week. Some agents do not advertise their open houses at all, but many do. They can be advertised on many internet sites, including our local MLS, Trulia, Zillow and many others. Also, there is always a list of Open Houses in the weekend newspaper. Some agents also send out mailers and distribute flyers in the neighborhood.

Whether an open house sells a home is a debatable question. My belief is that a house will not sell without exposure, and this is one more way to attract potential buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Hello Guy,

Agents hold open houses every day of the week in Tucson. We can advertise open houses in the Multiple Listing Service. If you go to http://www.tarmls.com and click on the "Open House" icon, you will see 158 open houses advertised today. I ask visitors to my open houses how they found it, and most of the people who come to my open houses tell me they found it on the internet. I also advertise on craigslist, Zillow and Trulia. My listings go to hundreds of real estate websites. I don't know if the open house information makes it to all of them. I put out "Open House" signs on the sidewalks at six to ten intersections the day of the open house. I send postcards to 200 - 500 of the neighbors. I advertise the open house on my blog, and email a link to my blog to 800 people in my database.

Best of luck,

Donna Moulton, Associate Broker
Tierra Antigua Realty
1650 E River Rd., #202
Tucson, AZ 85718 http://www.SweetDesertHome.com
1-888-596-9087
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Open houses are not typically what brings us the buyer for your particular home, but they are held and advertised. I have sold homes at open houses during my 16 year career, but it is rare.

My own listings with open houses are advertised in multiple online locations, as well as in the newspaper.

The way I see it: if I have taken good listing photos and the seller has taken the time to prepare the home so it shows well, why wouldn't you hold it open? Every chance for your home to be seen increases the chance for a sale!

Kat Tyree, Associate Broker
Long Realty Company
TucsonKat@gmail.com
520-730-5540
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
I have three homes, all of which I would like to sell. Although not a realtor, I will show any or all by appointment. Just call me @ 520-909-3996 John
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
Hi, I work in neighboring Green Valley, AZ. In the early days of my real estate career I built my business through open houses-- and today am one of the top ranked agents in my area 4.5 years later. To this day I do Open Houses at least once a week and not more than 1/2 hour ago I received a call from someone who came through one of my open houses last May and now wants me to take them out to search for a home. I advertise my open houses all over the internet--biggest turnout comes from Trulia, Zillow and my virtual tour site.

Who cares what the rest of the agents are doing? Blaze your trail and enjoy the success you'll find along the way.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
It doesn't sound like anything your agent told you was accurate. While open houses used to be advertised in the newspaper exclusively, there are many other ways to advertise your open house. It sounds like they just don't want to do it!

Buyer's are incredibly savvy these days, they're using all the new technology such as Mobile apps and GPS more and more as tool for their home search. These mobile apps allow a buyer to pull up the map view and tells them when they are getting close to an open house.

Web - You can advertise your open house on Trulia and Zillow as well as other sites such as Realtor.com and Homes.com and your open house will show up on their mobile apps as well. Facebook is also a tremendous way for your agent to get the word out assuming they are well connected in your area.

Signage - Directional signs are also a great way to drive traffic, probably 75% of the traffic I get is from directional signs. At my company, we put 8 directional signs up for every open house and 2 balloons per sign (if the municipality allows it).

Mailers - I also send postcards out to the nearest neighbors telling them that there will be an open house performed that week. The neighbors are always the most interested in seeing the house that is for sale. They are also more prone to pass the word to their friends that there is an open house.

There are many strategies for open houses, these are just a few. Good luck with this one!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
90% of buyers use the internet to search for and preview homes.
60% of homes sold are sold via a co-operating agent.
70% of buyers stated that Open houses are one of the resources/tools they use to search for a home
40% of homes sold are identified by the buyer at the recommendation of friends, family and those in the community in which the home is located.

This data was published by NAR and is available on the NAR website.
It time to have a heart-to-heart with your agent.

Now, be aware, not all homes are open house candidates. If your home is one of those you agent will indicate why. Successful open houses do not resemble the open houses of 1993. Do it the right way, do it thoroughly, and be fully prepared for the response.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Donna
If you go into your listing on either Trulia or Zillow, both have an option for you to manually add any open house dates you have.

Best of luck.

Spirit
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Spirit, Thanks for sharing. I typically think everything flows through MLS into these sites! However, sometimes just doing it ourselves is good! Donna
Flag Sun Oct 7, 2012
Open houses are a good way to get exposure to potential buyers who may be driving the area. And those immediate neighbors stopping by aren't being nosy...they may have friends or family who have always admired your neighborhood and considered locating there.

I am holding an open house right now and have already had two neighbors stop by.

As Donna and others have said, I too list my open houses on the Tucson MLS, Trulia and Zillow, and do get many visitors who found me there. I also have about eight directional Open House signs out right now for today's Open House. Earlier this week I did a postcard mailing to about 200 neighbors and personal contacts who live in the area with an Open House invitation and directions taking them to an internet link to the MLS listing.

So, yes! Open houses can be a great investment in time and effort. I have found that there is not a lot of difference in the turnout for a Saturday or Sunday open house.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
It sounds like your listing agent is one of those that give realtors a bad name. There are agents all over the state that do open houses on a regular basis. There are also many ways to advertise an open house. The Internet is only one of those ways. I would say that they are telling you this because they are too lazy to do an open house or to get another agent in their office to do an open house. I would wonder what other things that they are slacking on. I understand that some agents are busy enough that they don't have time to do an open house but this is the exception and they should still be able to offer you open houses through another agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Incorrect on both counts. Agents do hold "open houses" and there are several ways to announce it on the internet.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Here in Tucson, Sundays are known for being the best day to visit open houses. Buyers who are just starting to look for a home will often grab the newspaper's real estate supplement and hit the town - it's a fun way to spend the afternoon and it's a great way for them to ease in to the buying process. Like Tucson Dawn says, open houses also are advertised on trulia, craigslist, realtor.com, etc. All of my listings and open houses are posted on Facebook, too.

Having an open house is also a great way for agents to get feedback on the houses that they are listing - people tend to be pretty honest with their feelings. That feedback can be very useful to the seller, who might want to make changes so their house shows better and appeals to more buyers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Yes, many agents do hold open houses as it is an excellent source of meeting new potential clients. Actually, open houses are posted on MLS and shown on listings. When I have listings on both Trulia and Zillow, I post on there as well when I have open houses.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
I hold open houses all of the time. I mostly do Sundays from 12:30PM or 1:00PM until 4:00PM.
We have open houses listed for the day and time under Open houses in the MLS.
Barbara Barth Keller Williams So. AZ 520-275-7265
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Of course we hold open houses - I'm in one right now! They can be advertised through the MLS, which is picked up by zillow.com, realtor.com, etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Agents hold open houses and advertise them in many different fashions.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Yes guy, many agents hold open house in Tucson. It's a great way to get exposure for the property since many buyers are just out driving neighborhoods on the weekends and if the house is open they will stop in.
John Powell
Help-U-Sell Galleria Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012