Jeff, Other/Just Looking in Livonia, MI

Do Realtors usually avoid showing houses with the status marked "CCS"?

Asked by Jeff, Livonia, MI Thu Jun 18, 2009

I have a house listed for sale, and it hasn't been shown in 2 weeks since I accepted an offer. The offer has contingencies (inspection, financing, etc.), so the status is CCS instead of Pending. While a status of CCS is still technically on-market and can still be shown, do most realtors avoid doing so?

Answers

9
Sure they avoid showing it. If you have an accepted offer, nobody wants their client to fall in love with something they can't have.

I usually call the listing agent to find out why it is ccs. I don't use CCS for financing. I use pending, and don't allow showings.
Web Reference: http://miOaklandCounty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 18, 2009
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
the status here in the Chicago area is called CTG (Contingent)... and yes, we do avoid showing homes that are market CTG, since I don't want my client to fall in love with a home, that they may not be able to have.

If the initial contract finds no inspection issues, and gets their mortgage... we haven't much of a shot.

If my client insists on seeing it, of course we'll view it. But I don't voluntarily include those in our rounds.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 18, 2009
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
If I happen to find a CCS property that very tightly matches my buyer-client's criteria I may show them in hopes of creating a sense of urgency. It can let the buyer know that a) The home you want is out there and b) When it lists, it sells, so let's get serious!
In this situation I would explain to the buyer that you have an accepted offer with the above contingencies and leave it up to them if they want to see. 99% of the time my buyers feel it is a waste of their time, and they don't want to fall in love with something that they may never really even have a chance to get. I usually will tell the other agent to call me if the deal falls through. Then most likely unless my buyers have found something else already, they will want to see it. I hope this information helps! Best Wishes!
Web Reference: http://www.GoMelinda.com
When prospecting a new buyer, we do not include the CCS listings. If I was a buyer, I would ask , "why are you showing me homes with an accepted offer"

Tibbles Team, Rose Tibbles
Maureen said it best..you bet they do..all the theory and what they "should" be doing aside.
My answer would be avoid if possible with a big exception. I explain the situation to my client and it's THEIR DECISION whether or not we view the property. You can only sell your home once so even if I bring you a much higher offer, you can do nothing with it unless the first offer becomes null and void. Most contingencies are buyer driven - financing, inspection etc, so other offers will probably just frustrate you. Also re read your lisitng contract. It may have language in it to the effect that once your home is sold, your agent will not continue to market the property.
You should mark it pending if you have all parties having signed on the contract and you're simply waiting to close.

I think we, as agents, should be using contingent status for two things --

1. Inspection. During the inspection period, mark it CCS in case the buyer doesn't like the inspection results. As soon as they clear the inspection, mark it PEND.

2. Short sales. This is an appropriate time to use it because even though you have seller and buyer signed, the bank is the actual seller, and you're unlikely to get that quickly. Marking it CCS for financing I think is a good idea, as we can see it's a short sale, has an offer, and we can show at our discretion as many short sale purchasers aren't willing to wait.

We have enough complications showing homes with misunderstood statuses in the MLS...let's all try to clean it up a bit for sake of our and our clients' time.
Hi Jeff,
This status is called CAPA where I'm from. And you bet, I usually avoid showing these at all costs. Like they said below, I don't want my client to get wrapped up in a property that's under contract. Why get your hopes up and waste time when there is so much inventory out there! I will inform my buyers as to what the status means, and tell them, that based on my experience, it's not worth their time. But I let them make the final decision. If for some reason they just can't find what they are looking for and just HAVE to include this home, I will usually call the listing agent to get some details as to the status of the offer and what they expect to happen. It pays to be informed with all the details prior to showing one of these.