Home Selling in Tampa>Question Details

Chekx9, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Do I replace my flooring to sell?

Asked by Chekx9, Tampa, FL Thu Oct 27, 2011

I have a 2 story house and getting ready to sell. I, however, have mauve carpets on the bottom and the top. Its in good shape, but its ...mauve. Is it worth the expense to replace to have it show better? It will cost approximately $7000K. I do live in a gated community and have good equity.

Answers

20
Antonio Vega-Pacheco’s answer
People like having choices. Anounce the listing with "seller will replace carpet to neutral color before closing or give buyer a $3500 allowance". Most people will go for the money and be happy buyer's thinking they got the best deal, and you end up saving half the cost of replacing. As long as you clean, declutter, and stage the home for sale, the color of the carpet will only be an upstacle until they see your "replacement/cash offer", then it becomes an asset in the buyers mind.

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011
Good Afternoon,

In today's market as in any market, you will always want to put your best foot forward when presenting your home for sale. When a buyer walks into your home, you will want them to visualize themselves in your home, and feel like they have just come home. Whether it is updating carpeting, touching up some paint, pressure cleaining a dirty driveway or roof, your goal is to grab the attention of any and all buyers. We all know the importance of first impressions. You want a buyer to be able to reference your home as the one with the clean drive way, clean kitchen etc, not just the thought of a mauve carpet. I too would suggest in making the switch to a more neautral color carpeting.

Good luck on the sale of your home.

Lila Lopez
RE/MAX Advance Realty
305-772-2521
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011
Before replacing anything, you should have a Professional Realtor come over and do an assessment on your home. If your carpet is mauve, replacing the carpet might not be the only thing that needs to be done to stage your home correctly in order to sell for the best price.

Michael Valdes
e-Pro Realtor/ Mtg Broker, TRC, CPMS
Certified in Distressed Properties
(800) 975-7205 Office
http://www.FlaPropertyFinder.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011
Hi Checkx9-

I agree replacing carpeting to freshen up the color would help the home sell faster, but don't count on recouping your "investment". The appraiser will not give your home more value because your carpet is beige vs. mauve.

If you are looking for an incentive to overcome a possible objection, I would offer the buyer a flooring allowance of $5-7000 (if you're prepare to spend that much anyway), say to Bob's Carpet or wherever. That way the buyer can have the opportunity to install wood, tile or carpet of their chosing - how exciting is that to a new owner?

I had one of my clients install all new carpeting in their home, just to have their neighbors tell them a week after closing the new owners had it ripped out & put at the curb so they could install tile.

Happy selling!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 27, 2011
Replacing the carpets may help you sell the home faster, which can often represent more money. I always recommend a more neutral color when you are getting ready to list.
it sounds to me that you are paying too much for new carpet. I do have a great carpet guy and it has never been $7,000. let me know if you need a reference. Change the carpet.
My best advise to you that I give my sellers in this market. Make your home sparkle and get it is clean as possible. Who knows? Maybe your buyer will like that carpet. It is not worth the investment.
I had a seller who was concernced about a flowery wallpapered room in her home and wanted to paint over it. I advised against it. And, believe it or not, that room was the favorite of the Buyer! You never know...Best of luck to you.
It is always best to have your house in the best of showing conditions. I would suggest talking with ShowHomes who is 100% a staging company. Contact Francene Lagree at 866-506-4023. She would be happy to help. BTW they work with builders, agents, even short sales. Call them ASAP for a consultation.
Hey Greg, The consultation fee to Sherry Tilghman (she in the Westchase area) will help you make the right choice about the carpet and other staging advice.

If you hire Sherry your only restriction will be on how high your house will appraise. I think I told you about my client that got a 3,344 sq ft Brighton plan home with a pool for $253k in St. Andrew.

Also if the proposed Bill in the Senate passes to allow immediate Visas to immigrants buying at least $500k of Real Estate with at least $250k spent on the primary residence, it should result in a higher demand and higher prices for a home like yours in The Eagles. Here's the Wall St. Journal article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297020375260457664…

This may not be the right time to downsize.

Alma
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Chek,

Bold colors, walls and floors can create problems for buyers. For this reason more neutral colors tend to help buyers view the property's potential more objectively.

In the case of carpeting costing $7,000.....mauve or any other color of a perfectly functioning and good conditioned carpet would remain "as is."

You should be able to replace the floors with "imported hardwood" for that amount.....consider getting additional estimates and shopping around.

Use a neutral color spend extra on the pad and go cheap on the carpet. Use an off the shelf IN STOCK product from a lowes or home depot at about a 1.00 per sq ft. Good Luck
Before you spend $7000.00 on carpeting, get the advise of a Real Estate professional. If the carpet is not abused, It might be better to market your property with a flooring credit at closing.

I too have sold many homes and there are many buyers who do not want carpet. Some may have pets, some alergies, others just don't like carpet in their home.
By offering a flooring credit, it allows the new buyer to get what they like.

I am sure once they know there is a flooring allowance, they won't even notice the mauve carpet.
Chekx9, having shown many properties, I have found most lookers do not have an imagination. Their initial reaction pretty much places the property on their short list or not. Working with a motivated Seller interested in presenting their property to its best advantage creates a terrfiic working team between you and the listing agent.

Needless to say, I would welcome the opportunity to work with you. I have personally renovated and sold over 25 properties. It is fun and creates a wonderful game of strategy and creates a project with the goal of achieving your maximum return on investment. By developing a brief and efficient game plan on paper you can establish priorities and phases of improvement while watching your costs. I think that it is just great fun.

Before you create a list of things to change and spend money, I suggest that you build your real estate team. Your projected expenditure of $7000 is significant and you want to obtain an overall view of your property and a comparision of those properties most similar to yours.

Spending money is easy. Spending it well and effectively is an art to achieve your desired results. Your change may not be the carpet it might be something else. Choose your agent wisely. Again, working with you as a motivate Seller would be fun. email@brockrealty-inc.com

It's your move.
Also this company is unbeatable for hardwood floors:

http://www.FloridaHardwoodFlooring.com

Richard Porupski 813.531.9179
$7k seems a bit high for carpeting.

You may want to hire a stager to give you a very good idea of where you should spend your money. It may be that a certain paint color may minimize the "mauve" color. Also because of the high demand for hardwood, laminate and tile flooring in Tampa Bay (and the inexpensive cost for nice quality laminate that looks very much like wood... go to Costco and look at the wood scraped wide plank laminate) you may get a better appearance and spend less money.

Here is a fantastic stager you may want to contact, she gave great advice to my client and they sold their home for more than the neighboring homes and the cost was minimal:

Sherry Tilghman, ASP IAHSP, Designer
Tara Designs II
813.41.4546
http://www.taradesigns2.com/home

If you've not yet chosen a Realtor, I would be happy to meet with you to discuss my services and plan to get your house sold for the highest price with the least amount of stress to you. If you're already working with a Realtor, I wish you all the success in the sale of your house.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty, Inc.
813.244.9898
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Yes I would either replace with something neutral or offer a closing credit of $7000 for new buyer to make it more attractive.

Liane Jamason, REALTOR
813-486-4997
http://www.LianeJamason.com/blog
Spending 7k in flooring it make your sale faster and smooth , however you won't recuperate the investment because your price will be the same compare with comparables in your community!!
Yes, other will sell faster!
No question on this one--the money you invest in replacing old flooring with new and neutral will be paid back in months of wasted time and price reductions!

I had a townhome on the market for nearly a year before the seller agreed to replace the (mauve) carpeting--we had an offer in three days once it was replaced!
Absolutely yes! You should recoup most of your investment and cut the market time drastically. Buyers are less and less wanting to come in and start spending money. in addition, the home will smell fresher and updated. Be sure to choose a very nuetral biege or tan so that it goes with most any decor. Good Luck!