Home Selling in Batavia>Question Details

Georgia, Home Seller in Batavia, IL

Do I have any rights as an owner with a HOA?

Asked by Georgia, Batavia, IL Fri Jun 24, 2011

I've had my condo on the market since May 11, 2011. My Association had FHA approval for lending at the time of our listing. We received an offer and accepted it on June 15, 2011. My buyer needs to go FHA and we thought that wouldn't be a problem. We started looking for homes and found one as well. Our offer was accepted and we were set to close on July 30, 3011. We found out that our association allowed the FHA status to expire on May 31, 2011. After a week of trying to reach our HOA we finally got through to them to see if we could get this taken care of. My lender is a DELRAP underwriter so he could make this happen in less time than it would take my HOA to get it done with their Attorney. My lender is even willing to pay the fees to do it. Unfortunately, my HOA has declined to take this offer of help and they flat out said they didn't know if it would be ready by they end of July. I was wondering if anyone here ever came across this issue before?

Answers

1
Yes, Georgia, I have, and it's unpleasant.

Basically, you have to gently ask your Board of Directors to consider that getting FHA approval and getting YOUR CONDO FREAKING SOLD would really help everybody's home values, and that they don't have to do anything except say, "Yes," because you're going to pay for it and see to it that it gets done. And then repeat until they consent!