Bob, Other/Just Looking in Cullen, VA

Customary practices selling real estate in GA

Asked by Bob, Cullen, VA Mon Jun 1, 2009

I'm used to the practices of selling real estate in both NY and NJ, but do not know what is usual in GA. Commision negotiations, whether or not attourneys are usually used, binders, deposits - those kind of things. I'm used, for example, to negotiating agent's commissions here, yet, a friend in GA tells me her agent says that isn't done in GA.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Answers

1
Arlynn B. Palmer’s answer
Hi Bob,

It is a usual and customary practice in other jurisdictions NOT to use an attorney for closings. The real estate agents handle everything from the offer through the closing! I'm not familiar specifically with Georgia practices, but I can tell you that in Florida and Arizona attorneys are not consulted by either the buyer or seller. Additionally, in other jurisdictions, the agent that the seller uses to sell the property will usually represent the Seller (much as we do here in NY), the agent that the buyer uses to purchase a home will usually be either representing the buyer (a Buyer's Agent) or the agents in both cases will act as a transactional broker (an agent that puts the buyer and seller together, but does not actually represent either one of the parties). Are you thinking about buying or selling property or a home in Georgia? If so, I could inquire and get answers for you from one of the brokers in my network of REALTORs for you. If you are thinking about buying or selling a home in NY I can assist you with that as well!
If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly by phone at (516)410-3594 or by email at Arlynn@ArlynnPalmer.com.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon and answering all of your questions.
Arlynn

Arlynn B. Palmer, ESQ, SRES, CBR, CMS, CNS
Coldwell Banker Claire Sobel
(516)410-3594
Arlynn@ArlynnPalmer.comj
Web Reference: http://www.ArlynnPalmer.com