Mdn31, Both Buyer and Seller in Milwaukee County, WI

Competitor Realtor nosing around my property! How common is this: So I have had my house on the market for roughly 3 weeks. Good showing activity

Asked by Mdn31, Milwaukee County, WI Thu Jun 20, 2013

but no offer yet. For a few of the showings I park down the block and wait. In the case of the showing this AM that was what I did. One car came, the man looked around the outside for quite awhile, then entered my home with the code. No one else showed. He left. I looked up the Realtor name to learn that he has a listing (same type, size, price) within a few blocks that has sat for a year. My guess is he was snooping the competition. And I cleaned my place and left the house early in the AM for him to do this. Frustrated! Is this common? What can I do, if anything, about it?

Answers

5
SNOOPING!!!
How dastardly!!!
The competition; really?
You think you are in competition with the house down the block?

When I do an Open House, I invite the Realtors from proximate Listing to hold one at the same time!
Is this keeping your enemies closer?
If I had to rely only on myself, to sell all my own listings; I would be in trouble.
Other Realtors are not my enemies.

Also, when I'm getting ready to show some houses, I always pre-view them: I want to know everything I can about the competition.

Did this guy disguise himself to look like a Realtor?
you're funny!!
Flag Thu Jun 20, 2013
It's very possible that this agent was meeting a client, and at the last minute, the client didn't show. Since the agent was probably aware that you had cleaned the place for the showing, rather than just leave, he took the opportunity to view the home, to put it in his "mental inventory" in case a potential buyer should ask him about it.

Or, perhaps, as others have suggested, he was "previewing" the property. Maybe he told the person he made the appointment with, that he was previewing the property... or maybe he forgot. Either way, it was good that you cleaned the place for the viewing, as a preview from an agent is every bit a "showing" as a regular showing with a client.

If you'd known it was just an agent... would you have left the laundry on the laundry room floor, or dishes in the sink? I know that being on the market is hard work, and can be frustrating. But this is part of being on the market.

What can you do? You can have your agent call the agent and thank him for previewing your property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 21, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
What can you do about it, Mdn31? You can ask your agent to call this agent for feedback.

Here in Seattle, when we call to tell a seller we're planning a visit, we inform them as to whether it's a preview (just the agent) or a showing (with a client).

In either event, we recommend to our sellers that the home look fabulous, because that first impression is the lasting impression, and we remind them that many visits will be from agents that have competing listings - but those agents may wind up selling the home, because they may get calls from buyers who don't like their listing and may be interested in others in the neighborhood.

So what you "can do about it" is to roll with it, and appreciate that at least someone is interested in your property. It will sell soon, if it's priced well enough.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 21, 2013
Debbie Rose hit it right on. In addition, there is a slight chance that he was supposed to meet a buyer there and the buyer didn't show.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 20, 2013
Hi Linda! Nice to "see" you!
Hope all is well!
Flag Thu Jun 20, 2013
You can't do anything about it.

Perhaps, as a courtesy, he should have said he was "previewing the home", and told you he wasn't bringing a buyer with him............but..........he wasn't "snooping" - he was doing his job - staying on top of the local market....especially his listing's "competition".

Besides - maybe in the future he will have a buyer for your home..........someone who doesn't like his listing.....now he can show yours!

I hope your agent has seen, and continues to preview, all the houses that are competing with your home, too!

Best wishes...........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 20, 2013