Tracey, Both Buyer and Seller in Colorado Springs, CO

Choosing a realtor for selling and buying in same town

Asked by Tracey, Colorado Springs, CO Mon Feb 16, 2009

I'm a little confused about hiring a realtor for both selling in one part of town and buying in another part
of the same town. Since Co Springs is big enough that each area is vastly different, should I choose one realtor that specializes in my area for the sale, the purchase or hire two different realtors?

Hi Tracey :o) Happy President's Day!

You ask a very savvy and important question. As you can see from the answers you received from others around the country, having a Knowledgeable, Educated and Experienced Realtor in your area is very important to ensure that your received the best marketing for the sale of your home and the best counseling for the purchase of your new one. You also want to make sure that the Realtor you choose is able to expertly counsel you on the myriad of choices and pitfalls involved with both selling and buying a property.

The 3 Most Important Questions To Ask When looking for a Professional:
1. Are you a Full Time, Full Service Realtor? (make sure they are a Realtor and not just a Licensee, Real Estate is not a part time job...especially in today's market)

2. What Real Estate Education and Professional Designations have you obtained and do any of them pertain to buyer agency or seller agency specialization? (CRS is the Highest Professional Designation awarded to Realtors and a good Realtor will attend at least 1 continuing education class each month in order to keep up with the changing market, technologies, and issues that can effect their clients successful transaction)

3. Do you have references and Testimonials from past clients and may I contact them?

Happily I have lived in Colorado Springs for over 15 years and I have become even more familiar with all areas of town not only through having evaluated thousands of properties a year for investment, but also through my work with local sellers, relocating members of our military and through my volunteer work with the City and County.

I was the first Realtor in Colorado Springs to obtain BOTH the Accredited Seller Representative (ASR) and Certified Seller Representative (CSR) Professional Realtor Designations for Seller Agency Specialization. In addition, I have also obtained the Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) Professional Realtor Designation for Buyer Agency Specialization. I have also been awarded the Certified Residential Specialist (CRS) Professional Realtor Designation which only about 4% of all the Realtors in the United States qualify to receive. Despite only making up about 4% of the Realtor Population, CRS agents complete over 25% of all the real Estate Transactions in the United States each year.

You can read testimonials from my clients here: http://www.brianwess.com/ClientTestimonials

Please feel free to look through my site as it has a great deal of information on it for both buyers and sellers. If I can be of service please contact me, and if not I wish you all the best in your real estate adventure.

Best Regards
Brian L. A. Wess
Realtor®, Broker Associate
Residential & Investment Specialist
Pat Newell & Associates, Inc - Metro Brokers
Colorado Springs, CO
Direct: 719-528-6672
E-mail: Brian@Brianwess.com
Web: BrianWess.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 16, 2009
Is there some reason you're asking this? Do you not feel comfortabe with the knowledge of your realtor?
Is there some reason your realtor is making you feel this way?

It don't take too many years doing real estate to learn about the different areas of this town. (maybe you need to ask how long they've been a realtor) It's part of your job to learn about the areas. In an office, we talk to each other all the time about different areas of town. I know Colorado Springs seems large to some people, but it really isn't that large.
When you find the home you want to buy, ask the realtor to pull some comps for the area you wanting to buy in. That should help you feel like you're paying the right amount. Make sure the comps are sold homes with in the last 6 months and in the same subdivision if possible.
I've worked as a Buyer's Agent and a Seller's Agent. You get to know your client very well. You learn what they like and want. I love working as a Seller's Agent and helping my Seller find just the right home when they are ready to buy. It becomes a relationship for years. As a realtor you want that relationship to last years. You become a tool for the family. Someone they can trust.
Hope this helps,
Gilda Baxter GRI, SRES
Web Reference: http://www.GildaBaxter.com
Hi Tracey,
Not to confuse any of the wonderful answers other Realtors have given you. Just talk to a few agents. I happen to belong to both the Pikes Peak Association of Realtors and Denver's Metrolist since I am on the border in Monument. And like many others have earned many designations. Frankly, I would start with the agent that is listing your home if you are staying in the Springs area unless you are not comfortable with them. But give them a shot, this market really is tough right now and everyone is earning every penny they make.
Valerie Kleinman, ABR, CRS
Prudential Professional REALTORS
Same as DFW we have been in real estate for over 20 years, not any part of Dallas Fort Worth area we dont know about. As with most realtors in practice for years most likely sold, listed homes in all given areas you have interest in.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Here in Colorado Springs you will find some agent's that work only as seller's agent and then you will also find agents that work only as buyer agents. There are those of us that also specialize in working with the seller's in getting their home sold and also working with them on the purchase of their new home. Such is the case of one of my current clients. I would like to interview for the job of selling your home and helping you with the purchase of your new home. I can also give you references for past clients whom I have successfully assisted in the purchase of their new home and the sell of their home. You can contact me anytime to set up an appointment. Allow my team and I to show you how we can get your home sold in the least amount of time with the least amount of stress. Have a great day. God Bless,
Pamela Weatherford
Keller Williams Hope Realty
It's most important to hire a Realtor who is very familiar with the area in which you need to sell your home. In today's market, you need a true expert who is savvy with marketing and networking, plus someone who is comfortable and confident about the neighborhood, market trends and how to set the price right from the get go in order to sell your home.

If the Realtor whom you select to list/sell your home is offered up the opportunity to also work with you on the future purchase your next home, then you will receive the benefits of having a very dedicated consultant and professional at your side. In fact, you'd be giving the agent even more reason to work harder for you and to ensure the home sells quickly and with as little hassle as possible. You are, in a sense, giving the agent the chance to earn two paychecks, not just one. And certainly buying a home in today's market is a lot more fun for everyone - so therein lies the prize!

When you have selected the professional to list your home, talk to them about how experienced they are with the area you are focusing on buying in. More than likely, unless there's something so unique about the property location or scenario (short sale for example), they will be thrilled to take the challenge on. They will also be more intimately tied to your particular "big picture" and the circumstances surrounding your move - on both the selling & buying sides. This can be a HUGE asset to you and the agent as well in doing the job most efficiently & effectively. You will have gained a lot more insight and guidance on where to price the home to sell so that you can take advantage of the buyer's market and purchase something at a great value.

I say - let the agent you hire to sell the home be your guide and #1 team mate on both ends. It'll give you a much greater peace of mind!

Kim Sandberg
RE/MAX Unlimited
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Ph: 904-703-4715

Hi Tracey,

It really depends on your Realtor.....
Many are very good listing agents and some are extra-ordinary Buyers agents, and many are extremely good at both...
I suggest unless the areas in which you sell and buy are vastly far apart it is a good idea to use the same agent, just simply because you will need to coordinate the sale and the purchase closing dates and once you have a trusted Agent, who already knows a lot about your tastes and needs, he or she will be able to do a great job for you on both ends.

Some agents will not go too far for the buyer clients and others will.... So when selecting your agent ask!
Tell them where you want to look for the new home!

Although areas are different, Agents have access to all the information as far as sold properties and market time etc. is concerned. A good buyers agent, will also preview homes in order to get a good feeling for the area you are looking in. Agents have the opportunity to look quickly a many homes during brokers open house days. You just need to make sure that you do have an Agent who truly likes to work with buyers and will go the extra mile on your behalf.

I do both and my clients prefer to work with one agent. If the area that they are looking in is truly too far for me to go and here it is more related to the commuting time, I usually recommend to my clients to work with a partner agent of mine, so that our communication and coordination on behalf of the clients is the very best - so think about it that way.

But I think that Colorado Springs is not as big as some of the metro cities like Chicago for example, and agents cover very large areas and many different towns surrounding the city proper here!

Hope this helps.... If you like for me to recommend an experienced Partner agent in Colorado Springs to you, just let me know and I would be delighted to do so.
Just e-mail me directly to edithsellshomes@gmail.com
Take care and good luck to you...
Edith YourRealtor4Life
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients...