Home Selling in West View>Question Details

Elizabeth, Home Seller in Pittsburgh, PA

Changing agents - how to do or even should I?

Asked by Elizabeth, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Nov 16, 2009

We haven't signed a contract but have been in email touch on & off with a particular REA the past 3 months. We told this agent we intended to use him to both sell our house as well as to buy a new one. But we've opted to build and now won't need this agent (unfortunately the agent didn't bring us to the builder so they will not work with the agent).

The agent isn't familiar with our area at all, and has said so. Agent is going to bring his manager over to help come up with comps and pricing. And the agent is just coming back into the field after a 20 yr absence to be with family. I'm starting to think I shouldn't use this REA, but feel badly that we already can't use him for the new build and verbally said we'd use him to sell.

How can I "break up" with him or should I just hang tight? His manager IS familiar with the area so maybe it will all work out? Or maybe I am just trying to be nice instead of doing business? Thoughts?

Answers

8
Wonderful that after all this time We as a Team got ya the Place that you needed!! Wondreful to work with you Guys

Neal Paskvan
Hello Elizbeth.. Great Question...

IMHO... You need to interview... Yes Interview... some RE Agents... After all... they are going to work for you!

When you feel the vibe may be right between the both of you and you feel can trust each other... Give it a try

Best Neal
Elizabeth - If the thought is in your mind that this agent is not for you then your instincts are right!! When you have someone that goes the extra mile and does excellent work you'll know. If you want to break up with this person I would recommend being straight forward with him and firm in your decision. He'll respect you for the honesty I think. If you do decide to go with someone else please consider talking with me. I can be reached through my website at http://www.eathompson.com . Please check out the "My Intro" page for some information about myself and feel free to contact me if I can be of serve to you. I'm from the Coldwell Banker North Hills office on Perry Hwy and very familar with West View and the surrounding areas.
The agent you choose to represent you is critical. Your situation does not sound like you have much confidence in that agent (and that is not good). There are too many part time agents or agents who are not really in the business making a living at it. I strongly recomend that you interview 3 experienced, top producing agents in your area and get 3 new opinions. You want to ask about: complaint history ( I like to see firms that are members of the Better Business Breau, A rating, 0 complaints), ask about what marketing is done and any professional agent will come with a marketing plan, how many deals have they done, do they have a showing desk call center open 7 days a week for agent appointments, do they syndicate out to the top 50 websites your listing, will they provide a virtual tour (a basic need in today's world), etc....

All in all you need to feel comfortable with your choice, so do your due dilligence. Your home may be you biggest investment, so take is serious.
Web Reference: http://www.johnkrol.net
My apologies for misinterpreting. The phrase "...now we won't need this agent..." stuck out real bad.

If you are willing to work with his lacking, then go with him. His manager should be assisting him anyway. AND, if the office is worth it's salt, he will actually have (depending on the other's experience) hundreds of years of experience between all of the agents. If a special situation comes up, someone will know hot to deal with it.

My particular office has over 350 years experience between the agents their and we all help each other out. As it should be. Remember, every agent starts somewhere. And It's not as if he's new. Just rough around the edges. Perhaps his negotiating skills are still up to par which is much more important than "knowing" areas. As long as he knows where to get the answers, then he should be ok.

On the other hand, if you feel that he is not at all good for you, then you need to do what you need to do. Just let him know that you're bowing out so that he doesn't feel thrown to the curb.

Hope that helps,

Terrence Charest, e-Pro
Terrence - I'm not asking IF I should use a Realtor, I'm asking if I should use this particular Realtor. I understand well what REA do, and because of that, I'm wondering if this particular agent is less qualified than someone who hasn't been out of the business for 20 yrs and who knows my area.
So, what you are saying is that you are not being represented in buying the new home? Really? OK.

Of the homes sold across the nation, 20 percent are sold by the owners, without a realtor. Surveys show that the primary reason is money; the sellers wish to save the cost of a realtor’s commission, which usually ranges between five and seven percent of the purchase price of the home. Unfortunately, many of these owners end up regretting their decisions, because it costs them that five-to-seven percent or more due to unexpected pitfalls in the sale.

First, there is a lot involved in the sale of a home. Realtors assist with the before-listing preparation; help you set a starting and deal-killer selling price (the price level you will not accept); setup and hold open houses; set up and coordinate all home inspections and appraisals; and set up and coordinate a real estate attorney and the closing. Realtors market your home to a broad base of interested buyers and other realtors, show your home or coordinate with you for other realtors to show it, negotiate offers, and close the sale. They even coordinate the timing of the sale, when you are buying other property that is dependent upon the sale of your home.

For buyers, realtors first help you to determine just how much you can afford to pay for a home — it is generally more than most people believe. They then weed through the myriad of homes that are on the market, matching potential homes to your purchase specifications. They arrange to show the homes to you, assisting in what to look for, what questions to ask, and after-showing discussions with you on possible problems or good points of the home. Realtors assist you in making an appropriate offer. They do all of the negotiations for you, representing your best interests — especially important when a seller has a professional representing them. Once your offer is accepted, the realtor may even suggest mortgage lenders and accompany you to your first meeting. Your realtor then works with the seller’s representative to ensure all inspections, appraisals, title searches, and permitting is properly completed, negotiating for you resolutions to any bad inspections. Again, working with the seller’s representative, the realtor coordinates a real estate attorney for you, as well as the closing.

Realtors know the right questions to ask — it is their job as professionals to keep abreast of the real estate market for their area. They handle any problems that arise, protect you as the buyer or seller, know what to avoid in real estate and during negotiations, and know what is/is not covered by the home warranty of the sale. They also ensure that all compliance and disclosure issues are dealt with properly, making sure that nothing is overlooked that could cause you a legal problem in the future.

Most importantly, a realtor maintains objectivity during an event that can be emotional for both buyers and sellers. Your realtor remains objective during negotiations, executing the best deal possible for you.

To avoid the pitfalls of selling or buying property, use a realtor, who may save you a lot of money in the long run.

Good luck with any decision you make.

Terrence Charest, e-Pro
Good Evening Elizabeth,

All you need to do is ask yourself a few questions from what you know through communicating with him;

Will he do all he can to help us sell our home?

Has he the knowledge and experience in our area to give us the best price?

How will he market the property?

There are other questions you need to ask yourself, however these would be the questions I would ask myself. When it comes down to it, it really is the agent that can get it done! I am sure you will make the right decision for you and your family.

Let me know what you decide to do! Good Luck!