Keeping LowP…, Home Buyer in San Tan Valley, AZ

Carpet/Floors - Need advice from potential buyers / other sellers / prof's - thanks

Asked by Keeping LowProfile, San Tan Valley, AZ Sun Jun 1, 2008

I'm getting ready to put my house on the market - will be painting, etc. Would like other sellers and buyers opinions on the following: The carpet, although only 2 years old, looks pretty worn/dirty in certain areas. I'm inclined to just have them professionally cleaned so they are presentable, vs. us selecting a new floor as I think the new owner would probably rather pick out their own new floor. Thoughts??? Thank you for reading this.

Answers

11
you need to know the competition at your price range. if most other houses out there have hardwood floors, and you have carpeting that is kind of worn out, then you have two options, the first is to reduce the price to make it a little more attractive, or change the floors to something that falls in line with the competition, i think your better off cleaning the carpets and pricing aggressively. Doing too much work is always a risk in this market.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 27, 2011
would try Mr. K's Carpet Cleaning. They are pretty affordable and do a nice job. I've used them for years.
Marty Remo
Broker/Owner
Remo Realty Group
845-738-8115
Web Reference: http://www.RemoRealty.com
Someone once said that "life is a stage." Well so is your home when it is on the market. Get tips from staging professionals. I have a home staging coordinator as a part of my Team. You should keep your costs as low as possible of course. Keep in mind the prices of homes are declining yet building costs & materials are increasing. Whatever you do, do it fast, do it nice, do it clean. Most importanlty price it right!
I would say it depends on how you are going to price your property and what comparable “For Sale” properties are offering.

As an example if many of the other competing homes have new carpet or flooring then you will need to do so too or sell at a “Lower Price”. I would suggest you interview a few local real estate agents and see what they think. If you’re selling on your own I would suggest you go look at what else the buyers will be looking at to compare your options. That’s what your buyers will be doing!

You rarely get a second chance to impress that potential buyer. You’re not just selling carpet you are presenting the entire package. Step back and look at your home as a buyer might look at it and then decide.

Good luck with your home sale and if I can help please contact me.
Dan Trembulak, licensed real estate broker, Buy-Sell Realty Inc. Seminole, Florida. E-Mail: RealtorDan@Juno.Com or 727-393-6500.
If the rugs aren't too worn out, clean them. I saw a home where the rugs were dirty and I was completely turned off. It seemed to amplify the other defects I saw in the home.

And in reply to "Most sellers do not have vision...", that is incorrect. Every home I have seen, I have envisioned how my life and stuff would feel in it and what I could do with it.
Keeping
I like your answer to yourself. Clean it, if it looks okay, fine, if they ask for some $$$ for new carpet (called a carpet allowance) that would be fine.
I would be more concerned about your other staging needs. Sort of like "now it all looks fine, if I paint one room then all of a sudden I need to paint the entire home. It sounds as though you need a Realtor to do a walk through and give you some feedback. A picture is worth a thousand words...and we don't have one photo
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
It does not hurt to get the carpets professionally cleaned, but if they still look so so I would suggest that your agent let buyers and buyers agents know this is negotiable. You may be able to negotiate something in the offer...just depend on your listing agent to make sure it is done the legal way.

I always say that you have to be the best priced and the prettiest penny on the block to sell in today's market, so you really may just want to move forward with a nice new carpet, not top of the line, but something that looks nice. I have had sellers who have gotten carpet and padding that is quite inexpensive, but man of man it should did make the house look totally different! A nice neutral color usually works very well.

I think if you just go ahead and put in new flooring it is less of a negotiation for a buyer and hopefully getting you a better price. If you don't want to gamble though I would leave it as a negotiation. That is up to you.

I hope this information helps! Best Wishes!
Web Reference: http://www.gomelinda.com/
Thanks for everyone's opinion - it helps a lot... unfortunately, the floor underneath is sub-flooring. Sounds like if we go with installing a new floor that hardwood/Pergo would be preferable over carpet.
Most buyers have no idea what they are looking at as long as it is shiny, new and smells good.

Home depot as prefinished hardwood floors that look sensational. If you already have wood, sanding and polyurathane finish is wonderful.

Most buyers do NOT have vision...stage it to sell it.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
If you want to get top buck, it must look top shelf. It's either beauty contest or a price war, you need to decide what end you want to play.
Web Reference: http://getprequalified.com
It depends on what's below the carpet, if you have wood floors (which are highly desirable) then I would advise you to rip out the carpet to highlight the wood floors. If the floor below is sub-flooring then I would do as you proposed, have the carpets cleaned so they will look presentable. Either way good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.shoookie.com