Home Selling in Batavia>Question Details

Christopher C…, Home Owner in Cortland, IL

Can your selling agent make all the difference?

Asked by Christopher C Weiler, Cortland, IL Mon Jun 6, 2011

Im speaking in general when I ask this question. Whether it be a condo or a SFH, does having the right realtor really make a difference? Everyone keeps saying "Sell Now! The Economic News Is Getting Worse! Mortgage Companies Are Changing Rules! Etc, etc". But are you saying this simply because you want the business, or because it really is true?

The inventory of stagnant homes, especially condos, is huge. And I dont see anything moving locally (2 neighbors have had almost identical units on sale for over a year). Yet I keep hearing if you price aggressively enough, you can sell in this market. So the question is, how? Are the realtors on the properties surrounding me just not doing something right? Does having the right agent truly make a difference in a market this incredibly depressed?

I know I ask a lot of questions...hope some locals answer this one. Thanks.

Answers

9
The market is still dropping. Condos are a dime a dozen and buyers know that. If you can interest a buyer in a condo then it will be a very low priced condo. Condos are a tough sell in any market but right now single family homes and townhomes, especially, are such great values that a condo isn't at the top of many buyer's lists. When you have a small audience of buyers you have very low prices. Take a big price reduction and get out. Why are the others not selling at their low prices? It can be the agent but what often happens is a property goes on the market listed too high, loses its fresh and new appeal, starts chasing the market down and ends up selling much lower than it could have if it were priced right to begin with. Damaged goods, been there, seen that mentalities crush home sale prices. Below is a link to another article outlining what is happening in the market.
Why would an agent take an overpriced listing? Because many agents figure business is business and it will eventually sell. Better the money in their pocket than in the pocket of another agent who took it and rode out the listing. I am being brutally honest here. I don't beat around the bush when it comes to real estate. It is what it is.

Lisa Otto
Baird and Warner
630-715-6152
Yes, your agent does matter... Any agent can "list" your home in the MLS. Most agencies offer reciprocity -- meaning they share their listings and cooperate with other companies in order to market your home to more buyers. However, the biggest concern for you should be to find an agent that you feel comfortable with (do you understand all the information that they're sharing with you? Do you feel comfortable asking them questions and with the answers they provide?) and that you are confident in their skills to market your home!

Diane Morales
Thank you for MOVIN' WITH MORALES!!
Keller Williams Fox Valley Realty
(630) 709.9882

Follow MOVIN WITH MORALES on Facebook!

I take great pride in providing honest, reliable, and professional services to my clients!
I am sensitive to your needs and will help fit the best scenario for your situation.
Never pushy, just dependable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Selling agents can make the difference between making your transaction easier or harder and can make the difference between getting a sale you may or may not have had. You want an agent who will pay attention to your listing and tell you the truth, not what you want to hear. Follow up and attention to detail is the key, but as far as making the phone ring, good pricing is what will tell the tale. The market is moving, but overpriced homes don't sell and homes in price ranges people can't afford are slow.

Competing with foreclosures is tough, but sellers need to look realistically at their next move and see if selling fast at a discount can pay off in the long run on their purchase.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Having a Realtor that is honest with pricing is key. Having a Realtor with great marketing and negotiating skills gives you a leg up on the competition but truly you have to have the right price.

Now is the time to sell as long as you can financing afford to do it. A Realtor won't tell you that to get business because they don't want a house sitting on the market forever anymore than you do.

Too often sellers list their homes too high and get frustrated with the results. You need to beat the competition and sometimes it's as simple as listing it for less.

I live and work in the Batavia area and would love to help you further.

Feel free to call me for a price opinion and we can even go see your competition.

630-730-4934
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Christopher,

You raise a good point....the reality is that good agents understand the local market and go after only the type of property that will sell....regardless of the market. They'll focus on desirable communities, types of construction, areas within a community, a specific price range, foreclosures, etc. They will build their business around what they undestand to be property that will sell if priced appropriately. They understand that to take listings that will not sell will be a waste of time, energy, and money.

So, if agents that know and understand the business are avoiding "condo" listings because prices have not reached the level that will attract serious buyers.....then who will take these listings? You will likely find that, usually, these listings are taken by the less experienced or individuals that do not yet have an appreciation for the RE market or a successful business model.

This is a generalization that may not apply to all scenarios but the fact of the matter is PRICE does drive the market. It may be that owners in your specific market have resisted allowing prices to fall to a level that is appealing to buyers.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Your Selling agent or Realtor should be the end all be all of selling for you. They should have rocked the selling world with marketing that sells your home quick. Be knowledgeable of all that can go right and wrong and be able and ready to do what it takes to correct all problems, or know of a professional that can if it falls outside the Real Estate Realm. They should make the sale go without a hitch and it should go like clock work. You agent will be making sure that all time lines and deadlines are met and that the closing will be exactly as set. They will make sure the buyers and their agent will be updated often and that all disclosure have been made and that all understand what has been said! Yes the Selling Agent makes the Difference!!!!!!!!
Can the right agent make all the difference? No. A good agent will make a difference, but even no so good agents get lucky sometimes.

A good agent can make your home look good, give you lots of exposure, and tell you a good price to list it at. If your home is still cluttered and you choose to list at a higher price, then even lots of exposure will not help solve some of these issues.

A lot of this business is all about finding one buyer. So an agent can list a home in the MLS, put no pictures up, and still sell the house in a day because the perfect buyer just happened to see it.

More exposure should lead to more showings and more interest, which should lead to a quicker sale at a higher price. A good agent will make a difference here.
Hi Christopher,

To answer your question, in many cases the listing Realtor and Broker make the difference. Do keep in mind that every market is different and just as important is price and location. Pricing a home is most critical. A Realtor must know any market area that they service! Equally important is that the seller must prepare both the interior and exterior of their home to sell. I encourage all of my sellers to have a professional stager give them an in-depth analysis of their home. There is no cost to the seller unless they elect to use the services. A staged home sells quicker and for more money.
Perhaps the home needs updating or painting? I do a thorough analysis of each home that I list and make recommendations looking through buyer’s eyes. Once listed, taking good pictures are critical to selling a home. I also advertise on over 350 websites and in local Real Estate magazines. So a good listing agent will market your home aggressively.
As far as the national news is concerned, it always doom and gloom and that scares the general public. I can honestly say that it does not apply to my market area and many others. A good Realtor will give you facts on your specific area and know it well. The township where I sell the most is Buckingham Township in Pennsylvania. The average price of homes increased by $40,000 per home in the last 12 rolling months versus the previous year. Adjacent townships have done better, some worse and some equal. My point is that a Realtor must be knowledgeable of those statistics when pricing a home or representing a buyer.
In closing I will say this. Just like any industry there are Realtors who service their clients over and above the norm in terms of marketing, negotiating and getting the job done. There is a difference!

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
CARTUS Certified Relocation Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x103 (office)
http://www.FrankDolski.com
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.Com
Christopher;
If you ask agents you are going to get answers that mostly are self-serving or obvious.
There are success stories and nightmares that come with fsbo'ing and listing properties. The pendulum swings a little towards success when you list your property; but, no matter which way you choose, it will happen if it was meant to be.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com