Home Selling in Dallas>Question Details

Ibrahim, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

Can you negotiate commission fees with a Realtor?

Asked by Ibrahim, Dallas, TX Wed Oct 3, 2012

Can you negotiate commission fees with a Realtor? I'll be taking a loss from the sell, its an investment property (condo). What I paid for it and what I put into it I know I can't get with today's market.

Answers

12
Lynn911.com Dallas Realtor’s answer
Happy to work with you need additional details. I just listed a townhome it SOLD in less than 18 days. You might have other options to think about HOWEVER need fact find more info. from you.

Contact my office today

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Absolutely, a Realtors commission is negotiable. However, usually their firm will have certain guidelines as to how much can be negotiated.

I would pose this question for you though: If your Realtor is willing to give part of their earned commission up right off the bat, how successful will they be in negotiating the best deal for your property? Just some food for thought.

If I may make a suggestion, if you are planning on buying a property through them then it is customary to work out some sort of arrangement where you will be discounted to a degree on your sale pending your new purchase. Another route you could take is to set guidelines ie if they sell your property within "X Days" then you will pay them "X" which creates incentive for them to sell etc...

From a Realtors perspective I do not cut my commissions as I can't cut my liability. That being said, I do whatever it takes to make my client happy and always welcome to trying to come up with some sort of compromise...

Hope this helps...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
Ibrahim,

What did you decide to do with your property?

Brent Rice, Trulia Top Recommended Broker (Pro & VIP)
The Rice Group, Inc.
Website: http://www.ricegroupinc.com
214-808-3100
Brent@RiceGroupInc.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
In Texas there are no set fees - however, I'd be hesitant to deal someone who dropped their fee quickly. Perhaps they'll do the same thing when negotiating your sale price.
Why are you needing to sell it? Why can't you continue to rent it out until the market improves? There are other solutions you should consider. The ability of a broker to help you make a smart decision, even if it selling the condo becomes the best solution for your situation, is worth the commission so that you can sell it for the maximum price in the shortest amount of time. Experience is the key. Negotiating is also important. Can the property be rented for more? Can the expenses be reduced? Is seller financing an option? You should carefully review and think through all of these questions. Feel free to contact me if you have not already engaged a broker. By the way, most agents must get a reduced commission approved by their broker. Brokers have the discretion to reduce their commission if the circumstances warrant it. Let's discuss. Brent Rice, The Rice Group, Inc. Top Recommended Broker in Dallas. 214-808-3100. Call or text.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Hi Ibrahim,

all commissions are negotiable but you get what you paid for.

With lower commission you will most likely only get the property listed on the MLS and no other advertising.

Please let me know if you want to make a deal. You can email me at dixondfw@gmail.com

Dixon
JP and Assocaite
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
"Get what you pay for" is a violation of the code of ethics as it implies a lesser service for a lesser fee. This is not the case with many of our peers.
Flag Wed Oct 3, 2012
Yes, you can negotiate the listing fee with your Realtor. If you work with a realtor who specializes in investment properties you are more likely to get help with the discount commission and with selling your investment property.
Question to ask yourself when asking the agent to take the cut. Did the agent try to negotiate with me or did they cave right away? And if they gave in quick will they do the same when negotiating / working on your property?

Look for an agent that has strong negotiating and marketing skills .. they will probably be the one to get you the best offer.

Best of luck,
Bruce Erickson
Yes, you can. all commissions are negotiable. You'll need a full-market analysis to figure out what you'll get for it, etc. The commission is just a small part of the equation.
Kenneth pretty much nailed it.

Tom Burris
Mortgage Banker
DallasLoanGuy.com
(214) 763-4629 cell/text/nights/weekends(Really!!)
tomburris@dallasloanguy.com
Lending all across the entire Great State of Texas!!
NMLS# 335055
Search Dallas area MLS for FREE. No registration => http://www.ntreisinnovia.net/cgi-ntr/BR_login?0501134
Commission's are negotiable. Some will and some won't.

GOOD LUCK.

Kenny
TURTLE CREEK REALTY
The property is leased and cash flows well.