Jandre, Home Seller in 33914

Can the listing agent sell the property they have listed? My experience is they take a listing and sit back and wait for someone else to show and sell

Asked by Jandre, 33914 Mon May 2, 2011

Answers

34
Jackie Maurer’s answer
Jandre,

Real Estate is a numbers game... the more agents we expose the listing to the higher your chance of receiving an offer. If we promorte the listing to 3,000 agents and there buyers you have alot of potential prospects. Each lsting agent does have a database of past clients and future prospects to market to but not all of them may be in your homes criteria or price range. The most effective agent will use tech savvy marketing approaches including social networking to expose the listing to as many people as possible. Many owners believe the agent is taking a listing and just sitting back, but there are many things the agent may be doing in the background that you may not be aware of that are purely web based. With so many buyers searching the internet first prior to conatacting an agent it is crucial for your listing to be exposed. More than likely the prospective buyer may not call the listing agent directly, although I have had a few who did, because they feel they want to be represented by someone not sharing both sides interests. In Florida we call this a "transaction broker". Therefore your agents proactive web marketing campaign may of indeed found your buyer, they just chose to work with another broker to view the property.
If you are looking for an agent who is tech savvy and knows the Cape Coral area give me call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 2, 2011
Yes a listing agent can sell their own listing. However, if the property is being marketed properly and on the MLS then statistically it is more likely that the property will be sold by the non-listing agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 2, 2011
Hi, the listing agent can absolutely sell the home. they should attract buyers through their marketing efforts, website, etc. It's not recommended that a buyer contcat the listing agent directly because the listing agent has the sellers best interest at heart. This deters many buyers from doing so unless they aren't aware of the technicalities of representation. I always let me seller know my marketing plan for the property so they can see I do alot more then just post it on the MLS and wait for someone else to sell it. You should ask your agent to detail their plan for you.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 2, 2011
Simply put...

A listing agent can bring buyer's to the table however, once they do, they are representing the transaction and not the seller.

It happens a LOT (you'll notice many yard signs have the listing agents direct phone number) and there is no conflict in doing so as both the buyers and sellers review the paperwork accordingly prior to closing.

The reason someone else usually comes along and sells it is because your listing agent knows 100 people... but has access to 10,000 who each know 100 people. There are much better odds of actually selling a property when the property is marketed to the whole market.
Yes they can... anyone with a license can sell the property... Not all agents do that, some elf us really work hard in selling homes we have listed since that is the way we get paid... other wise nothing would sell and we'd be paying for advertising that went no where.
Hello Jandre,

Yes, the listing agent can sell as well as list a property. Even though every agent I know would love to both list and sell a property, the odds are against it. Just the shear number of agents working with ready and willing buyers verses the listing agent. It's just plan math.
Unless a seller locates their own buyer all they do is market the home, usually by listing it in the MLS. Besides listing it they are the middle man when someone submits an offer and counter. That about sums up what they do for you. Some people may prefer to have an agent do this for their commission, I personally don't think it's worth anywhere near what most charge. Many will say it's proven agents get you more money on your sale even with their commission, I don't buy that. Not one has shown proof or anything that would support that statement. They probably would post an article from the National association of realtors which for obvious reasons would be very biased. I've personally have been watching the market well prior to my purchase and found many listings with an agent with price cuts and FSBO sell on their own within the same price per sq ft.
Yes, the listing agent can generate their own buyer and sell your property to that buyer. In fact, that is how I structured my entire business so that I can generate the buyer and then offer my seller a break on the commission. There are 3 factors that sell your home....1. Price. 2. Condition of the property. 3. Exposure. I dedicated my business model to giving my selling clients an extraordinary amount of exposure to increase traffic and offers. If you or anyone else reading this is interested in seeing my listing demonstration in the form of video, or in person, I'b happy to oblige. Or I can simply give you the name and phone number for some recent clients who can share with you what I did for them to sell their home quickly.

Find your home's value here:

http://swflhomevaluesonline.com/
Yes the listing agent can sell the home and most times they will give you a break on the commission. If you are interested in listing your home I would love to list your home.
Call Arleen today 239-645-3749
Question posted May 2011

27 yes's or have your own representation should cover it.
Oh goodness! It is actually perferable and more profitable to sell your own listing! It is also more stressfull :)
I would rather sell than wait as I am sure most agents would as well.
Yes they can. In fact it is in their best interest to do so. A good listing agent will actively market your property to potential buyers through many different forums, as well as allow other agents to bring in a buyer. The listing agent's first responsibility is to get a qualified buyer to put an offer on your home.
If your agent does nothing more than list your home, wait for the phone to ring, and then ask you to drop price with no other effort, fire them. When a client asks me to list their home, the appreciation I have for their business forces me to work hard to sell their home. Simply listing it, isn't working hard. Most likely the buyer will be introduced by their agent, but we owe our clients a process to give their home exposure, and not just count on them reducing the price.
I think this is a great question! The answer is yes, but you need to be sure you hire the right real estate agent for the job first.

This is the first of 12 Tips on How to Sell Your Home Fast which can be downloaded from our free eBook library.

If you are trying to sell your home quickly, one of the most important things to consider is choosing the right Realtor in Cape Coral. If you are eager to sell, you may find an agent at an open house or through a friend’s referral. Sometimes it is possible to stumble on a good match this way, but it’s not necessarily the best way to find the right person for you.

To save time, you may also be tempted to just go with the nicest looking ad. But remember – anyone can pay for an ad. You want to base your decision on the personality, professionalism, and specialized skills of the agent you’re interviewing.

Yes, you should “interview” all prospective real estate agents! Selling a home is not only one of the biggest financial transactions you will make in your life, but it is also a life “transition”. The person who earns your business should be knowledgeable about real estate, but should also be able to provide you with a level of comfort and communication that makes you feel at ease and excited about this next step in your life.

During your “interview” with prospective agents, make sure you ask the following questions:

Choosing a Cape Coral Realtor Photo courtesy of Flickr User tulvur e1347025460103 1: Choosing a Cape Coral Realtor How many years of experience do you have in the local market?
What are the current conditions like?
Have you sold other homes in this price range? How many?
What is your commitment and availability? (Are they full-time or part-time? Are they available nights and weekends? How long will it be to return phone calls or emails?)
What is your ability to sell my home quickly?
What is your plan to market my house?
Do you see any reasons my house may not sell quickly?
What are reasonable goals for a timely sale?

Your agent should be honest and up front about reasonable time frames and a listing price that satisfies your needs, but is also competitive in the market.

After the interview is over, take stock of the answers, but also make a note of how your interaction with the agent went. Even during the quickest house sales, you will be spending a lot of time with this person. It sounds like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people have complained about agents that simply weren’t a good personality fit for them.

12 Tips on How to Sell Your Home Fast 232x300 1: Choosing a Cape Coral Realtor Working with someone that you feel comfortable with will make the experience much more enjoyable. Do you have a sense that the agent is honest and trustworthy? This is absolutely essential! You’ll need your real estate agent to give you honest assessments, explain any complex real estate terms, and develop the smartest sales strategy for your home.

With the right person as your agent, you’ll be much more likely to sell your home quickly.

If you’re searching for a dependable Cape Coral Realtor, I’d would love the opportunity to help you sell your home. Simply call me at (239) 565-7867, hit me up on Facebook, or visit http://www.AckermanSWFL.com/contact. Not ready to contact me yet? No problem! Download my free eBook to your right to learn more.

-AJ
- See more at: http://www.capecoralrealestateinformation.com/1-choosing-a-c…
Some could do that....you need to interview your agents....see what they will do for you and what they spend on marketing. http://www.capecoralflhomesearch.com/home-value/

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.capecoralflhomesearch.com/
Between online marketing, buyer cultivation through calls and emails, and open houses, I sell a large percentage of my own listings. The key for an agent to be able to both list and sell a property is to engage in a greater level of proactive searching for buyers, as well as a creative mind to find a way to put a buyer and seller together to make a deal work in a way that does not immediately seem obvious. That being said, when a property is listed in the MLS, it is viewable to all agents within that MLS board and you vastly increase your pool of buyers. Resultantly, that is why homes often sell through an agent other than the listing agent. If you're looking for an agent to both list and sell your house, there are documented arrangements that you can make so that the listing agent only receives a commission if they produce the buyer. I'd be happy to go over some different listings options with you if you find that your agent is not performing at a satisfactory level.

Mike Lombardo
Mike@mikelom.com
239-898-3445
Web Reference: http://mikelom.com
Do you want to sell your home fast? A.J. Ackerman has resources to help you:

Watch A.J.'s Free Video Series:
Sell Your Home

Download the Free eBook:
12 Tips on How To Sell

Buy the Book: Sell Your House
Fast for the Right Price!

Choosing a listing agent to assist you in selling your home is an important piece of the real estate puzzle. Real estate professionals educate you, the seller, as to the "fair market value" of your home. They also understand how to list your home appropriately so it will sell.

When it comes to "curb appeal" and "showcasing" the best features of your home, your listing agent will give you a list of ways to enhance the outside and inside to improve the probability of a quick sale. A thorough cleaning, making needed repairs, and "staging" will help you prepare your home for the market.

Helping you understand the listing agreement, marketing plan, and your rights and obligations are only a few reasons why a listing agent is so important to have on your side.

You will enjoy all of these services when selling your home with A.J. Ackerman as your listing agent!

Contact A.J., The Real Estate Professional, today! Or call 239-565-7867.

We serve Southwest Florida: Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Captiva, Fort Myers, North Fort Myers, Sanibel.
Trust me they are trying to sell it. A good listing agent spends a lot of time, effort and marketing on their listings. It is there job to market the property to bring you buyers. If buyers are coming to see your home and someone eventually buys your property. The agent has done their job. A good listing agent usually spends over $2000 out of pocket to market your property.

Joanne LaFleur Broker/Associate
Jones & Co Realty
(239) 634-0982
Yes a listing agent can sell the property....The property for the most part is on the MLS and every agent knows that. If another agent has a customer or gets a call , then great , its ok let that agent sell the property....I don't think a listing agent should get lazy, just because he or she feels "I got the listing so now I just sit back and wait" I believe in working hard and the money will follow you. Its about people first, then money will follow.

Darryl Eyerman
Jandre,

A listing agent walks a very fine line and I like to believe that all real estate professionals do their absolute best at properly representing their clients. While I work mainly as a buyers agent I do take listings and of course market them beautifully on the internet where over 85% of all buyers find homes prior to contacting an agent. Of course I am going to do everything in my power to accommodate any potential buyer and make arrangements to show them the property. Once we do meet and there is a sincere interest on their part I have a difficult decision to make; should I be representing both parties in a transaction?

In almost all cases, if I have a buyer who is sincerely interested in my listing after I show it to them I will refer that buyer out to someone who will solely be working in their best interests. In other words, I do not want to be working both sides of a transaction. As a listing agent my allegiance should remain firmly in place with my client. My job is to sell their property for the most amount of money in the least amount of time. When I am working with a buyer my job is to negotiate the absolute best pricing and terms on their behalf. How can I do both?

I often have potential buyers contact me on a listing or from the internet and tell me they prefer to only work with the listing agent because they feel they will get a better deal. Many buyers feel this way and unfortunately they are almost always making an expensive mistake. Any buyer should demand to have a professional Realtor® on their team looking out only for their best interests.

So as a listing agent do "I sit back and wait for someone else to show and sell"; absolutely not. I am working extremely hard to properly market that home to create as much interest from potential buyers as possible. I will also go out of my way to schedule an appointment with any prospect to get them out to view the home. But again, if it appears clear that the property is of interest and may in fact meet their goals in almost all cases I will be picking up the phone and calling an agent I know will properly represent them. Believe me both my client, the potential buyer and the other Realtor® all have a much deeper level of respect for me and the real estate community for doing what is right for each party.

I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com
It's all about the art of doing business. Alot of people do 1/2 a job and not the other half...The old 80/20 rule stands. We beleive that marketing and being available is the key in marketing and selling listings. YouTube, Virtural Tours, Direct emailing to top agents, out of state/country is also key. If have flexible options in listing/selling your home, please give us a call!

Patrick Raymond, Realtor
Nautical Realty Group, Inc.
4706 Chiquita Blvd
Cape Coral, FL 33914

239-738-5766 Direct
Yes they can sell it. Sorry for your experience......I am guessing this is more venting than question?

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Bonita-Estero-RealEstate.com
The listing will most likely be sold by another agent. Statistics show about 70% of listings are sold by other agents through the MLS. I think it's better that way rather than having limited representation with dual-agency.
Of course they can. First, they will make twice the commission, or more, if they do and; second, they should have an easy time working with the selling agent, in this case. However, the listing agent is doing his job if he has anyone showing the house. It means he is getting the word out so that the agents working with buyers who are looking for the type of property which you are selling are aware of it.
Jean Starkey
Broker-Associate
When experience matters
Prudential-The PropertyPlace
http://www.JeanStarkey.com
321-427-5060
Much more is involved when listing a property than you can imagine. Don't believe great myths

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I noticed a couple of references in the below comments to "dual agency" - in the state of Florida dual agency is NOT allowed. Here we can work transactional and handle both sides (buyer and seller) - however when we do that we can not put the intererest of one party above the interest of the other party. If the agent working for the buyer works for a different company than your listing agent does, then the buyers agent is trying to get the buyer the best deal and your listing agent is trying to get you the best deal as your listing agent is working for you. Also, keep in mind that alot of smart buyers know this and will not call the listing agent - they will choose to find an agent to work for them.

Of course your listing agent should do everything possible to market your home...it should be shown all multiple web-sites such as zillow, trulia, realtor.com etc...If you already have your home listed for sale I recommend you talk to your agent and address any concerns you may have and see if you can get them resolved. That will also be a good time for you to find out how and where the property is being marketed, view the pictures that are posted etc...

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE, Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
cell: 239-707-4575
Jandre, the listing agent has a duty to their client to effectively market the listing. Just sitting back and waiting for someone else to show and sell it isn't effective marketing. In some cases this is exactly what happens, and in many cases this may be the appearance, but it really isn't the case.

A listing agent also has a duty to serve the best interests of their client. Since the role of a real estate agent involves advising clients, not just selling something to/for clients, representing both the seller and the buyer in a transaction jeopardizes the best interests of both clients. Although many agents welcome this scenario as a way to collect twice as much commission, others refuse to be a dual agent due to the conflict of interest. Even if the listing agent is unwilling to be a dual agent, they can and should be willing and eager to show their listing to buyers. In the event that a buyer becomes seriously interested in the property, the listing agent can refer the buyer to another good agent who can effectively represent the buyer.

A very active agent quite often simply doesn't have buyer clients whose preferences match their own listings. Also, many agents specialize in listing, and not in representing buyers at all. The work involved in representing sellers is in many ways very different from the work of representing buyers, and not all agents have the same skillsets or schedule flexibility. A listing agent can be very effective at attracting buyers to their listing without bringing buyers themself. Expecting the listing agent to also have the buyer would be similar to expecting a buyer's agent to go out and get the listings for properties that would suit their buyer. Occasionally an agent has both the buyer and the listing that match up, either by chance or by very tight specialization, but this is far and away the exception, not the rule.
Web Reference: http://www.NoDualAgent.com
Jandre,

Yes, the listing agent can show and sell their own listing. Your listing agent should be doing many things in order to get your home sold. You should always ask the agent to explain their marketing strategy to you. Each agent/company have different ways of marketing. Check out our website to see the different marketing techniques we offer!
Yvonne Cruz
Hi Jandre,
Yes, a listing agent can and should try to sell their own listings. They should work hard for you and of course they should know your home better than any other realtor. If you would like to know more about how I can sell your home or have any other questions, feel free to contact me. I specialize in the Cape Coral area.

Margie Birch
Selling Paradise Realty
239-691-1303
mbirch1@comcast.net
Jandre,

They had better be out there trying to sell their listings. If not, they should not be talking any listings. A listing agreement is a promise that the Realtor will do their best to market and promote the property to find a buyer. If there is no fulfilling of that promise, the contract is void. Before ever signing an agreement,, find out what the agent will do to market your property. Ask about their advertising budget and what they do to promote their listings and themselves. Remember, if you are working with a sales associate, that is different form the broker. The agreement is with the broker, make sure you know who they are and what they are going to do for you.

Check out what my company offers at our website. You may also have seen my television ads. Times are tight, many people just do not have the funds to market and advertise.

Shawn
Web Reference: http://www.4capecoral.com
Good Morning Jandre,

Yes, a listing agent can sell your property. I recently sold one of my own listings at 4334 SW 25th Pl. If you would like to talk about how we help people market their homes. Please call me at 239-565-7867. =)

Beware of people that just list house and sit back. The goal is to get as much exposure as possible to other agents and buyers. Have a Great Day! Good Luck!

A.J. Ackerman
Century 21 Sunbelt Realty
239-565-7867
Web Reference: http://ackermanswfl.com
Hi Jandre,

Absolutely the listing agent can sell and should work hard to sell your property. A listing is a great way for an agent to get more visibility in the market place and the harder an agent works their listings, the more money they make, simply by the generation of activity alone.

Any Realtor who takes a listing and does not try to sell it is missing out on both the opportunity to service their client but to also create a possitive image of the the industry as a whole. Sometimes listings just dont go anywhere and that is just the market these days, however, if the property is marketed properly and the price is right, there should at least be activity.

I would be happy to show you our marketing plan and stratagies if you require assistance in selling your property.

Please feel free to contact me at any time:
239-848-7773
roy@fglrealty.com
Yes they can sell a property that they have a listing for. They must be carefull to serve both the seller and buyer fairly and equally, not giveing any information away that may help one party unfairly over the other. THey should work harder to sell their own listing (fairly) as they may be able to double their commission in such a sale.. At least that is what a good agent will try to do. How else may I help you? Respectfully Ray Knowles
Yes, they can - when the listing brokerage represents both seller and buyer, it is called "disclosed dual agency" here in NJ. In our office, we routinely pull in another resource to assist during negotations so that both parties feel fairly represented. As the prior poster said, the listing agent's primary duty - and it is a fiduciary one - is to the seller.

I can tell you this - when I list a home, I work very hard to sell it, by my own hands or other agents'. I do not sit back and wait for others to do my job - it takes hard work to get a home sold in this market. Getting it on the MLS is the easiest part of the process.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com