sa10, Home Seller in College Station, TX

Can the buyers/"soon-to-be" owners, request to visit property as and when they want?

Asked by sa10, College Station, TX Tue May 7, 2013

All contingencies are removed only step pending is the payoff and final escrow closing

Answers

3
Linda Moreau’s answer
If the home is occupied, then visits should only be with permission of and at the convenience of the sellers. Until closing it is THEIR HOME. In our area buyers always want to visit to "measure" or to "consider where I'll put the furniture," or "my aunt wants to see it." If the property is vacant, then, sure, as long as they are accompanied by their agent. Another aspect of a transaction that this question brings to mind is POSSESSION. We sell lots of lake/recreational properties with closings set for Friday. The buyers are thinking to move in for the weekend, but FUNDING may not take place until the next Monday or Tuesday. Agents for both sellers and buyers need to be on the ball about possession even after the closing, not just about visits prior to that date. lm
If you used the standard TREC or TAR contract form, you are allowed to do "inspections" of the property, including ensuring any repairs are completed properly. If you're just visiting so you can get the feel of the home, the answer would generally be no.
It's not a revolving open door policy, but if you are respectable of their privacy and time, most sellers are more than happy to accommodate you wanting to see the house again. They just appreciate notice of a few hours or the day before. They probably are not keeping it show ready now that it's under contract and they will appreciate some notice. You do have the right in the contract to inspect the property as many times as you want up to closing, but you do have to schedule it with the seller on their showing schedule which shouldn't be more than 24 hour notice. If I can help you in any way, call or email me. Clay Lee. 979-255-1839. Clay@claylee.com
Clay is generally right, in my opinion, but I disagree tha the contract gives the right to inspect the property "as many times as you want." That would be a great topic in itself for debate! lm
Flag Wed May 8, 2013