pazsint_maie…, Home Seller in Queens, NY

Can the board turn down my buyer bc he has a 14yr old son????

Asked by pazsint_maiellowedding, Queens, NY Tue Jul 17, 2012

Selling a large 1br coop.. have deposit, ,mortgage commitment, etc... apt empty.. newborn son, down to 1 income w 2 mortgages... and religious board president says no w/o interviewing buyer bc buyer has son & is single.. that he will bing women over& son will have nowhere to go.

All this over the phone, nothing in writing.

Is it legal???? What can I do?

Answers

5
Unfortunately boards can turn down whoever they wish, and in most areas, they need not give a reason. For any necessary legal advice, it's really in your best interest to consult with your attorney....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 17, 2012
If you can't prove he said it, then it didn't happen. You should have recorded the statements since the board "may" be violating federal fair housing laws...hard to say without more details.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 17, 2012
The Co-Op Board has such ridiculous power that they can reject an application without giving any reason. The Board member in your case exposed himself to possible lawsuit by mentioning the marital and familial status of the applicant.

Here's a link to the Top Dozen Reasons for Co-Op Board approval:
http://cooperator.com/articles/1450/1/Top-Dozen-Reasons-for-…

Suffolk County had adopted legislation that requires Co-Op Board to notify a potential buyer within 45 days whether they are rejected or accepted; and if they are denied, a written reason must be disclosed. The Long Island Board of Realtors has been actively pushing the same law for New York City and Nassau County.
I'm not exactly sure what the issue is as your question was a bit unclear. A coop board has the right to turn down any buyer they want without giving a reason. When working with a good agent, you could narrow down the reasons and appeal the board's decision. Though most of the times appeals won't work.
Hi Andres, I was typing one-handed with a newborn in my other arm and sleep-deprived to boot. My question was whether it was legal for the board to turn down a buyer for a 1br co-op simply bc they have a 14yr old son.. I did not get the president's reason in writing, btw, this is what he told myself and my husband over the phone so no way to prove it unless he would reiterate the reason if the buyer were to sue.. board president said if it was a baby or 5yr old he would have approved the application, but don't 5yr olds grow up to be 14yr olds?

It puts my husband in a $ bind as we're down to income, and the buyer has a signed contract for his own co-op and has to be out soon.. my attorney would not give us a clear answer as to whether it was legal. Even if it's not, it sounds like it would be very time-consuming and costly for the buyer to sue... and would no doubt result in the same end. :(
Flag Tue Jul 17, 2012
i have the neworn not the buyer.. we r really $ strapped.