Home Selling in Hershey>Question Details

Homebuyer, Home Buyer in Hershey, PA

Can a seller reject any offer?

Asked by Homebuyer, Hershey, PA Tue Jan 27, 2009

You were all very helpful in answering previous questions, so I have another for you - Can a home seller reject ANY offer that they get? Even if the offer is for asking price (or more)? Obviously an offer can't be rejected for discriminatory purposes, but otherwise?

Answers

10
EdithJasser YourRealtor4Life’s answer
Your are welcome..... It is always good to ask questions of the Professionals who deal with various situations all the time.... I think I can speak for everyone, we are glad we could give you the answers to clarify your dinner table discussion.
Take care!
Edith
edithsellshomes@gmail.com
Thanks for all of the answers. To answer the question about why I inquired - it was to settle a discussion at our dinner table last night. I thought that a seller could refuse an offer for any non-discriminatory reason but someone else thought that they had to accept an offer if it was at the asking price. This isn't something that happened to me, or anyone I know - I was just wondering. Thanks again.
Was it a CASH< FULL PRICE, and no additional 'conditions' offer??
I would add one additional caveat to what has been written- if they have receive a CASH, full price offer that meets all the terms of their agreement to list the property for sale, they may be obligated to pay a commission to the agents who have done their job and brought the offer. But that is an issue between agent and client, not between buyer and seller.
That being said, check with an attorney for legal advice re whether a seller has a legal obligation to fulfull an offer to sell.
Any attorney out there who would chose to comment?
HI HOMEBUYER FROM HERSHEY,

Yes, a seller can reject an offer. Some of the reasons why seller might not want to accept a good (asking price) offer would be:
-not sure if buyer really qualifies for a loan, their pre-approval sounds weak. If this is the case it might be helpful to get a different mortgage consultant that can do a better job communicating.
-seller does not want to accept a buyer with FHA financing or give closing credits.
-seller needs more time to move, and buyer needs to close quickly (or the other way around)
-seller does not want an offer with a home sale contingency
-multiple offers
The answers you received are all correct. The seller is not obligated to accept any offer if they do not want to. I am curious, is the property you are referring to listed with a real estate broker or is it a for sale by owner?
Yes. I can't imagine why they would reject something above asking price in this market, but until the contract is signed by all parties, it's not considered valid.
Total agreement. You can have a full or more priced offer, cash, no inspections or any other contingencies with a totally open closing date. If the seller does not like your last name of "Smith", they can deny the offer.

No, it doesn't make sense. But that is the way it is. Has this happened to you?
The simple and straightforward answer is yes......
All it is until the Seller signs it is an offer to purchase and not a fully executed contract...
Just curious why you asked the question...
Take care
Edith
edithsellshomes@gmail.com
GREAT QUESTION: Yes seller can reject any offer, based on a number of reasons. No to discriminatory reasons all homes are sold equal opportunity any listing agent or seller could potential lawsuit if refused sale based per state and housing regulations.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Yes, They do not have to accept any offer, they could just change their mind about selling. Once you have a fully executed contract it gets a little bit harder to get out of it. I do not know about PA rules but in FL that is the way it is.