Dana, Home Seller in Corinth, TX

Can a seller advertise their home themselves and do marketing, or would that be a violation of the?

Asked by Dana, Corinth, TX Wed Feb 27, 2008

agreement
with the selling agent?

Answers

15
Yes, you can certainly advertise, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your agent should provide the necessary marketing of your home. If you haven't signed a listing agreement with a realtor, you should make sure that you understand the marketing methods of the listing agent that you choose.
I would ask your agent. In the agreement it should state what the commission will be if you find the buyer yourself. I guess if you are just trying to help the agent sell your home, even better. What are your goals by advertising yourself? Just to sell the home faster. I would say yes, but, of coarse please check with your agent first.
J.
Hi Dana,

I don't see it as an issue or violation because the main goal is to get your property sold. Are you wanting to market your property yourself because you feel that your agent isn't? Or is it because you don't mind chipping in and assisting your agent. I would look at your listing agreement and discuss with your agent.

Make it a Great Day!

Tamika A. Goree
Broker | Owner
The DFW Property Shop
Cell: 972.697.1178
Fax: 972.665.7148
Email: tamika.goree21@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 25, 2013
I believe that the best thing that you can do as a seller, is to talk up and pass the word to your friends and family. Since they likely know your home, they are good walking billboards for your home.
Your agent should be doing the advertising and the marketing. A full service Realtor (R) should be including that into their normal business.
Post on Facebook, as well as your agent likely will post on FB too. Share and get te word out!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 24, 2013
As everyone has stated, talk to your agent. If your agent isn't the person you feel comfortable with find someone who you feel has your best interest at heart. The purpose for hiring and paying an agent to help you sell your home is to let them take the bull by the horns and drive. Suggestions don't hurt. It's your property ultimately so if you did want to advertise or market in ways your agent isn't doing. Talk to them first and see if they can put together the wording for you and see if that avenue of advertising is a good avenue. There could also be a chance that the way you are doing it if your agent is not might not be effective. A seller and agent relationship is like a marriage...communicate your concerns, needs, and want.

Hope this helps

Senswella Mincey
Maitland, FL
senswellamincey.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
The homeowner is absolutely a partner in the sale of the home. Their job is primarily to maintain the home in a show-ready state, but it certainly doesn't hurt if they want to help in the marketing of the home. They know people in the community, too, and the more people who know about the home's availability, the better. I even had one owner who stepped outside everytime he saw someone take a flyer from the box. He would always offer to show them the house right then. Talk about grabbing the opportunity while it was hot! This isn't always the safest thing to do, but it was effective. The buyer was someone he invited in who had driven over to see the home after viewing the online marketing. The buyer can come from so many different sources, and many of those have proven to have better results than an open house.
Have a blessed day!
Ronda
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 12, 2010
Hi Dana

I doubt it is a violation of your agreement, but it is a little concerning to me that you ask this question. The reason for my concern is that I wonder about your relationship with your selling agent. You should feel completely at ease with the agent, and you should be able to discuss anything regarding the sale of your home.

If you have chosen the right agent, he or she should welcome all your questions and suggestions. The agent should be open to discussing all options for marketing your home.

Marilyn Stark
REALTOR®
Century 21 Heritage Realty
7740 N Oracle, Suite 106
Tucson, AZ
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 12, 2010
Let your agent provide the marketing materials. He will know what things you can and cannot say about your property. You can help distribute the materials if you wish and if he wishes for you to do so. A big part of the reason for hiring an agent is to be sure you don't have physical or finacial liabilities with you advertsing and showing of the property. Just be careful.

By the way, no single agent or office sells hundreds of houses in Corinth.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 12, 2010
Our real estate team works closely with homeowners to get their homes SOLD, not just listed. We encourage our sellers to market the property additionally and actually offer a "break" in fees if and when they bring the buyer on their listing. We sell 100's of homes here in Corinth, TX and find that pro-active teamwork paired with focused marketing gets homes sold. Good Luck and feel free to check out our website! This posted comment is not intended to solicit your listing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 12, 2008
Bruce nailed it, the more people that know your house is for sale the better your odds get. I live in Corinth have a home listed in Kensington Estates at 249,900 and have been showing all around this price range. Also have a client looking around 200 in Corinth too. If your house is currently listed for sale with a Broker you could post the mls# that way the local agents get to look it up and see if it fits a clients needs. Exposure is key in this market. Loads of inventory.

This is in no way intended to solicit the offerings of another Broker.
Web Reference: http://BuildBuyorSell.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
I think you should discuss with your agent. I typically don't see a problem with this and often ask the owner to assist with the sale. I email them the flyer for the property and ask that they distribute it to their email list. I also ask them to take it to their work, HR dept, etc to distribute. You might be able to put up and take down directionals to your property easier than the agent can on the weekends.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I agree with Jeff about asking your agent. You should have a good enough relationship with your Realtor, to know exactly what their responsibilities are going to be in the transaction. THAT is what you hired them for.
If you don't feel they are advertising in the appropriate media, suggest that they do.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
If you have an open listing with a realtor where "whoever sells the house first" where you don't have to pay realtors fees, however I would not recommend ever a buyer owner situation for you can be sued vs. a realtor errors & ommission insurance you fall under the agent e & o policy. There are State laws that mussssstttttttt be followed by all parties whether be for sale by owner OR a real estate agent. If you have a realtor they also know effective marketing that can assist you. I encourage my sellers to go and tell the world their house is on the market although we agressively market your house. If you are trying to save money on real estate agent fees you might consider a Seller Flat Fee MLS listing we do that for a flat rate of $795 for a listing agent fees that is all. therefore this option saves you $1000's at closing we post to MLS, Realtor.com, blogs, other listing websites to bring in buyers for your property. If we can be of any further assistance contact our office.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2008
Hi Dana,

I would love to discuss some options with you on seller advertisement. Please feel free to contact me any time.

Megan Petersen
(940)367-2911