Home Selling in Galveston>Question Details

lenabena9, Both Buyer and Seller in Galveston, TX

Can a realtor tell me what I need to fix on my house to prepare it for selling?

Asked by lenabena9, Galveston, TX Sun Jan 13, 2013

I do not want to spend a lot of money on remodeling, just fix enough to have it sell quickly. Thanks

Answers

6
Getting a home inspection prior to listing a home can be a good idea in many cases. It can really help reduce the surprises.
If your conversation with your REALTOR(r) involved, "Selling for the highest price possible" or "as quickly as possible" then your agents response is DIRECTLY related to your stated goals.
-
Since none of us know the 'broken down' state of your house, it is hard to offer much.
However, your agent KNOWS that FHA or VA sponsored buyers will require the house to pass rigid inspection criteria. Your choice, fix it now, fix it when if fails the inspection or elimimate FHA and VA buyers.
-
That leave cash buyers and conventional buyer and the always present..."Will you do a lease option?"
A broken down home PLUS cash buyer equals "Low Ball' offer.
A broken down home PLUS conventional buyer means a price beat down when their inspection report comes back.
-
Lena, you DO NOT have to fix your home.
Make sure your goals are set accordingly.

Best of success,
Annnette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
You have a choice
http://www.FirstLookHomes.us
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 24, 2013
I would be more than happy to walk through your home with you and give you some ideas of what can be done to help you sell your home.

Please give me a call and we can schedule a convenient time for you.

Susanna Mayberry
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate|Gary Greene
409-234-6618
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 13, 2013
Absolutely. In fact you should get a pre-listing home inspection so you can see what might come up in a buyers inspection.

Chris
It depends on what your selling goals are. To sell quickly you don't need to do anything, just contact me or some other "We Buy Houses" quickly person and we'll give you an as-is offer on the spot. You will only get about 80% of the current market value but it will sell within days.

If you are looking for top dollar return on your home then you will need to address everything a potential buyer might try to negotiate the price down. An inspection is for bank financing so if you're selling to people who will need to qualify for bank financing then yes, you'll need to address everything on the list (or most of them) and then expect to wait another 30-60 days for the bank processing to take place. If someone is prequalified for a loan that will help but it's still taking a really long time for most loans.

A Realtor is qualified to assist you to "stage" your home to make it more attractive to buyers, however, getting a Home Inspection for about $350 would be the best way to determine the things that need to be "fixed" on your home to sell it. If you don't do that first, the prospective buyer will ultimately get an inspection and you will have to fix things anyway and that will just delay the home buying process.

I would be glad to give you a list of qualified local inspectors if you wish to do that.

You may contact me at Galveston Real Estate Resource, 713-823-3248.