Marie Kay, Home Owner in 75002

Can a real estate agent on inactive status sell their own home by owner in Texas?

Asked by Marie Kay, 75002 Mon Jan 31, 2011

Answers

11
Steven Miller, do you actually have something to add to this thread other than pure self-promotion?
Simple answer: Yes ... I would believe you should disclose have inactive license confer with the State for all the particulars confirm you have all i's and t's dotted and crossed.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 31, 2011
Marie,

If anyone can sell their property "for sale by owner" why wouldn't an agent, whether active or inactive, be able do the same?

If you are in inactive status that would mean to me that you are no longer associated with a broker.
If that is the case you should be legally able to sell yourself, but I would think you would still want to disclose
you were a previously licensed agent.
As almost always here and as a former agent why would you want to do this yourself?
Obviously you must have the knowledge on how to complete the paperwork and handle some of the other details, but you know the power of having a great agent behind your sell.
There's a reason brokers and E&O companies don't want you selling your own home under their supervision.
Why start now?
Go back to your old broker and convince them to take your listing......you'll likely sell faster and for more money and with many less headaches and less risk.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I do not see why you would not be able too but I would make sure you disclose that you are a Realtor/agent but currently inactive to any prospective buyers. Anybody can attempt to sell their home by owner in Texas. You would probably come out ahead using an active and experienced Realtor so your home can get as many eyes as possible in the MLS. They can also help you price your home correctly so you do not lose your best opportunity to sell your home quickly and for the highest possible price.

Good luck to you.
Absolutely - a principal can always sell their property. As you hold a license, I would disclose this as you make the sale, just to make sure you stay compliant with TRELA.
Marie Kay,
I also agree with some of the other responses regarding disclosure. If you are an Inactive Realtor and currently selling a home, you really should disclose that fact to every potential buyer.

Melissa Hailey
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
North Texas Top Team, Realtors
214-418-0180
Melissa.Hailey@ColdwellBanker.com
Sure, why not? I would make sure you have the current contract and disclosures and have someone (either an active agent or real estate attorney) review it to make sure you haven't missed anything. Contracts change all the time, and if you've been out of the loop for a while, you may need some expert advice. Good luck!
Marie Kay,
Any home owner in Texas could attempt to sell their home "by owner", however someone with prior real estate agent experience will likely be more informed about proper forms needed and what the process entails. However, if a person is not currently an ACTIVE Realtor, they cannot represent themselves as such in a transaction.

If you are planning to buy a home - you should hire a Realtor to represent you (and your best interest) in the purchase of your home. That way you have someone on your side that will help you know what forms to use and what the process of buying a home entails.

I hope that this information is helpful to you, however if you still have questions please feel free to contact The North Texas Top Team Realtors (with Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors) and we will be happy to assist you. Have a great week!

Melissa Hailey
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
North Texas Top Team, Realtors
214-418-0180
Melissa.Hailey@ColdwellBanker.com
Yes but you must disclose up front - I would suggest even in listing description. Check with TREC for more particulars.
I agree with Lynn, and I know of a few agents in TX who sold their properties that way.