Home Selling in Naples>Question Details

bluevet12, Home Buyer in Naples, FL

Can I sue a lawyer if he wasn't present when I signed a contract. The contract was made by the buyer and I did not know what was in the contract.

Asked by bluevet12, Naples, FL Mon Jan 7, 2013

Answers

15
Why would you sign anything that you did not understand? Why as a seller would you sign a buyers Contract? Good luck on that one.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Without knowing the details involved I'm going to say "sure you can sue anyone you want... but will you win?"

Did you sign the contract of your own free will?
Did you insist that your attorney be present, and yet sign it anyway?
If you didn't know what was in the contract, why on earth did you sign it?

Do you see a theme here... none of these things are your attorney's fault. Personally, if you decide to sue, I think a Judge would throw this out of court quickly, taking just a few moments to laugh heartily, first.

Sorry.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 7, 2013
thanks answer man. I do what I can.
Flag Mon Jan 7, 2013
Love this answer.
Flag Mon Jan 7, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Short answer...no.

If you are over 21, of sound mind, weren't threatened or coerced under false pretenses into signing, and weren't using the lawyer as a trustor...you signed your name and are now bound by the contract.

Official disclaimer...I am NOT a lawyer!
Yes. This is America. You can sue anybody for anything.
Sounds like you are repeating the same mistake here, why don’t you hire an attorney?

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
When you enter into a contract it is your responsibility to read it thoroughly. If you do not have an understanding of the contract you should hire an attorney to represent you and read the contract. You have to initiate your own legal representation. As a matter of practice I inform all my clients that I am neither an attorney or accountant. If they have a contract that needs any review that will impact them in those areas they need to talk with their representation or get some representation in legal or accounting
That's your fault; you should have taken the contract to YOUR lawyer before signing. Sounds like you did not read it either. KathyBC
Alan put it very well. Remember you are responsible for your actions. I'm not an attorney, my opinion is.

In florida, the looser of the suit pay's damages, even if it is you bringing suit. So you need to have a clear understanding of where responsibility lies.

Just remember, never sign anything you don't understand or your attorney hasn't reviewed or both.

Maybe your attorney can advise you on your next course of action, he maybe your friend and not your adversary.

Good Luck
Blue,
As someone has already mentioned, you can sue anyone you want to, but this isn't sounding like much of a case. How on earth could your atty. control something that he had no knowledge of (it sounds like) and if you didn't know what was in it, why on earth did you sign?

That being said, instead of starting out thinking you should sue your attorney, why would you not be asking for his/her help in figuring out what (if anything) you can do now that you made a bad decision.
Sometime, in the near future, the Supreme Court will hear a case which will lead them to render the following judgement:

"We find that from this day forward, individuals will be responsible for their actions: They will suffer the consequences of what they do, and what they fail to do. They will not be able to blame someone else for something that they did."

I hope I live to see the day!
An attorney consultation is your best choice. If you signed of your own free will, then no one is liable, depending upon other circumstances as Alan responded to this question.
I just wonder if you were working with a Realtor on this transaction...............
Our profession strongly advocates to work with a Realtor whether buying or selling, there are too many pitfalls and you don't really save anything in the long run when you journey into contracts alone.
Web Reference: http://www.maryhoresco.com
I am with Alan on this one. You can sue anyone but will you win or just pay the lawyers more?

Unless someone forced you to sign I don't see or understand the argument it could be someones fault that was not there when you signed of your own free will. I am guessing you should have waited to sign until you knew what was in the contract. Do you have recourse now might be a better question to be asking your lawyer.

This is not legal advice - Just Common Sense
I would ask your Realtor as they will have more information to details that occurred.......

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Domain-RealtyGroup.com
This isn't a legal website, you need to call a lawyer.

How could you sign a contract without reading it first ?
We would need more details in order to steer you in the right direction but this question is best answered by another attorney. People can sue for anything these days but in regards of what the outcome would be from just the information you have provided, I would think there isn't a very strong case. Once you supply more details, the answer might change.