Home Selling in Blakesburg>Question Details

Kimberly Reg…, Home Seller in Blakesburg, IA

Can I split my property into lots and sell them?

Asked by Kimberly Reger, Blakesburg, IA Sun Jan 20, 2008

Answers

3
can I split my property and sell the other part to myself
Kimberly.....

Depending on the city requirements the answer might be yes. I would check with the zonning and planning department to determine what they will allow. They will give you a minimum size and tell you if it is subdividable.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Kimberly,

Check with your local department of planning and zoning office to see what your local zoning ordinances allow. Whether you can “subdivide” the parcel depends on many possible factors such as, the size of the parcel and the population density in the area.

Hypothetically, if you have a 6 acre parcel, zoning may allow you to subdivide it but only if you provide utilities to the new parcels. Or, they may say you can subdivide it, but only into six, 1- acre parcels. Whatever they allow you to do, it can get a little expensive as you will need to have the property professionally surveyed, and you may also have to get the approval of local commissions. Again, it really depends on the size of your lot, zoning ordinances, and population density.

Just go to your local property assessor’s office or website, print out your tax information, and take that to your planning and zoning office. They’ll be able to help you out.

Frank Biganski, Realtor ABR