Home Selling in Waltham>Question Details

Concerned52, Other/Just Looking in Acushnet, MA

Can I rent an in-law after the parent has passed?

Asked by Concerned52, Acushnet, MA Tue Aug 4, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


Hello- Each town is different, with different bylaws. If I were you, you should covertly get a copy of the town's zoning and building bylaws regarding inlaws to see what kind of flexibility or gray area there is with this.

Most inlaws do not have a full kitchen- but they can have a kitchenette. They also need to have a common/ interior door- that can have a lock on it- that connects the main house to the in-law wing. Also, most inlaws are on the same heating system and electric meter as the main house- which differentiates it from a 2-family setup.
If you can rent it to someone under these terms- not a full kitchen, a common door with you and your family, and you want to pay for their heat and electricity, etc- then maybe you should consider it. But see what the rules say first.
If I can be of any other help, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,
Ken L.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 5, 2009
Yes, but this can only be done legally if it is a legal 2 or 3 family home. Call the town to check the status to make this determination ... depending on the location, you may be able to apply for a change of property use. Although it may not be legal, many do rent without this confirmation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 4, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer