Home Selling in Minnesota>Question Details

Amb28, Home Seller in Minnesota

Can I prohibit a certain realtor from entering my house when it goes on the market?

Asked by Amb28, Minnesota Sat Nov 6, 2010

There is a certain realtor in town who does not think the ethics apply to him. I do not feel safe around him, and I certainly do not want him in my house. When I list my house, can I prohibit him from entering it, even to show it to a client? Can I request that my realtor be present if he ever wants to see the house, or can he just show up and get into the house with the lockbox on the door?

Answers

8
Amb -

The best way to handle this situation is to have your house shown "by appointment" with the Listing Agent. I would be careful about eliminating one specific agent. (S)He may have a well-qualified buyer who is ready, willing and able to buy but you are not allowing that buyer an Equal Housing Opportunity to make an offer and possibly buy the house.

Discuss yoru concerns with your Listing Agent / Broker so they understand and can handle any issues that may arise.

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner & Certified HAFA Specialist
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
We NEVER DOUBLE-END Transactions in our Brokerage. There is NO benefit to the Seller or Buyer and only benefits the Agent. Also, NEVER use your RE Agent / Broker as your Lender or vice versa. Also, be careful when using Real Estate Broker-owned Escrow and Title Companies - they can be loads of trouble.
888-391-5245 Direct Cell
THOM@THOMCOLBY.COM
DRE# 01398570
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
You can absolutely request your Realtor be present. You can also say no to anyone who requests a showing. Just make sure your Realtor knows that you want them there and that you don't want a certain person to show or preview the property. I would also insist that your Realtor use an electronic lock box and that they have a "CBS" code attached to it so that the agent has to get the code from your Realtor in order to get in. I also highly recommend that you make a formal complaint with the department of Commerce.
Web Reference: http://homesbyhoughton.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
Wowee, Amb28! That's a VERY strong reaction to this agent. I'm sure it's warranted. I'm so sorry that someone in our industry offended you in this way. It's a black mark on ALL of us when one agent treats someone poorly. We all get painted with that same brush, unfortunately.

Yes, you absolutely can request that agent not to show your property! Make sure you are very clear with your listing agent about your instructions. It should be written out on the showing instructions for your property so the people at the front desk won't accidently confirm that agent's request to show.

Now, let's hope that agent doesn't have a serious buyer for your property! It's a tough time to be turning anyone away at the door, but I encourage you to have the courage of your convictions!!!

Good luck~
Absolutely Yes! Make sure you put IN WRITING your concerns to the Listing 'Broker', your Realtor, the Listing Contract and the Listing advertisement, in case a buyer is using this unwanted Realtor unkowingly, that way, everyone is on notice.But be careful with slander and such in doing this.
Just make sure you are not legally harming this Realtor and his reputation by exagerating your concerns about him/her and I suggest you speak with a RealEstate Atty, prior to excluding him, which might be considered defamation of character and harming him from making a living, which is most likely his only way he is paid, by commissions only from selling homes.
I had an experience with an old jilted Boyfrind years ago, who excluded myself from showing his home years ago, and I actually had a REAL authentic buyer. His home eventually foreclosed due to his angst about me breaking up with him. Sometimes you just need to know, frankly in these days and the economy, MOST people are NOT ethical I hate to admit, and it is not against the law to be unethical, as shown by the past 3 years in the Banking industry and most all business's and thier practices. Sorry.
The key word to your answer here is---> Real Estate Lawyer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
Amb28,

Absolutely you can request that a certain realtor or company not show your home. You are the seller after all. When you list the home make sure your realtor understands your wishes very clearly, and that whomever is setting up showings for them will not allow a showing from said other realtor or company (whichever you and your agent choose).

As an added precaution, when you list your house instruct your realtor that you want to approve all showings prior to them happening. When your realtor's office calls to tell you that you have a showing request, make sure you ask the person calling who the agent is that wants to show your house. If somehow they slip past your first line of defense you have every right to deny their showing request at this point.

As a final step of caution, make sure your realtor places an electronic lockbox on your home. You will then be assured that the unethical agent isn't able to gain access to your home by having someone else request a showing and receiving the combination to the lockbox as a result. Make sure that your agent patrols the records of who accesses the electronic lockbox and if by some remote chance this person does use their key to open the lockbox without your permission, you can make sure they get a fine by reporting the violation to the local board of realtors.

I'm sorry that you are facing this situation. Good luck with the sale of your home.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
Yes, it is possible to restrict a Realtor from showing your home. I have seen it happen several times in my career with small realty companies that had a bad name.
Web Reference: http://joeniece.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
I don't know about prohibiting someone from seeing or showing your house when it's on the market but I understand your concern. I think your best bet is to make sure your realtor be present for any showings that the other realtor would be at.

Also, if you haven't already, I would call the local board of realtors to express your concern about that person.

Patrick Howard
Web Reference: http://Patrickdhoward.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
Any request has to be on writting. I will say yes.
I had once a listing that Seller requested a pre approval letter and proof of funds to be presented before showing the property.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010