Bill Herrera, Real Estate Pro in Stockton, CA

Can I list my house for sale in Trulia? I'm not an agent or broker. It's my own home. If so, how do I do that ?

Asked by Bill Herrera, Stockton, CA Tue Apr 16, 2013

Answers

23
NO, Trulia is not for FSBO...try Zillow or craigslist...or better yet...hire a Realtor.
Trulia is a waste of time for FSBO. I wasted 30 minutes of my life going through all of the BS questions and submitting information about myself. My instinct told me that this was a dead end, but the big button above my profile name that says "Submit Listings" kept leading me to the contrary. If this site is intended for agents only, it needs to say that clearly on the main page. What a waste of my time and a borderline fishing scam... I wonder just how much spam I will receive now that my email is in the system. Thank you trulia for this giant load of horse manure!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 19, 2013
Couldn't agree more, well said!
Flag Thu Aug 27, 2015
I agree! State for realtors only on the main page!
Flag Sat Jul 4, 2015
There are sites that will allow you to list as a FSBO (for sale by Owner), but not here on this wonderful site! You may have reasons for wanting to try it on your own. Research shows that most sellers don't try very long prior to listing it with a Pro.

Your time is valuable, and so is making certain you are making the correct seller disclosures to the buyer, etc. Correct pricing is so important to arriving ultimately at the best sales price.

Best of luck, and if you decide you would like professional expertise, I am volunteering to meet with you to see if my marketing plan will work for you.

Kat Tyree, Associate Broker
Tierra Antigua
520-730-5540
TucsonKat@gmail.com
I believe that you can list your home on zillow. National Association of Realtors came out with the stat the homes sold by agents sell for at least 10% more on average then homes sold by owner.

Check it out!!!
Sorry Trulia is only for Realtor professional. FSBO can get you material and set it up for you to list the home if you want to go that route. The marketing skills and tools of a Realtor are so much better than trying to go it alone. Even the owner of FSBO decided to list his home with a Realtor and got more money than what he was trying to sell it for by FSBO. There are also legal issues and forms that need to be done properly to protect you and your interests. That is why 98% of homes sold are sold by Realtors. Good Luck.
Hello Dr. Herrera,

Why would you want to try to sell your house without an agent? If you read many posts on Trulia, you have surely seen posts from For Sale By Owner sellers who are asking for advice *after* they have gotten themselves in trouble.

By exposing your house to more buyers via the Multiple Listing Service, and hiring a qualified agent to represent you, you will probably net higher sale proceeds, even after paying the brokerage fee, than you would by going it alone.

Donna Moulton
Associate Broker
Tierra Antigua Realty
http://www.SweetDesertHome.com
Hey Bill, Trulia is an agent platform and only agents can list homes for sale. But, working with an agent will, usually, sell your house faster, AND USUALLY FOR MORE MONEY.

If you are interest on getting information on how much I could list your home for, feel free to give me a call.
On average, the houses that I list, that are priced correctly, sell within 30 days!

Feel free to give me a call today, or whenever is convenient for you. I would LOVE to help you get your home sold! 480-275-9566
Trulia is an agent only platform at this time.

Chris
I think if anyhow you can list your house here, then also it would not be helpful for getting buyers here as this is not buyers and sellers place, I think you should consider Craiglist as there are many people looking to buy a house.
It is okay to sell your home by yourself, however you should be warned of some dangers of doing so:

http://www.realtypin.com/news/story/1046-the-dangers-of-sell…

I know based on advice you have received here, you might reconsider and decide using a Realtor.The following tips can come in handy when deciding who will be your Realtor:

http://www.realtypin.com/news/story/1095-how-do-you-find-the…

All the best
Web Reference: http://www.realtypin.com
There are a number of ways to get homes listed on MLS through limited services or limited service brokers. The buyers will likely have an agent and the agent will ask you to compensate him or her for bringing you a ready and willing buyer. So you will have spent some money to get the home on MLS, and you will have spent money to make sure that the Buyer has competent representation in this transaction. You will be funding the advantage that the Buyer has over you, so why would you not want the same advantage of representation? A good agent, representing you, can not only get you a better price, but can speed up the whole process, and increase your chances of actually getting the transaction closed. The AZ Department of Real Estate is actually considering a law that will require a realtor to be involved in all real estate transactions to make sure that they are done correctly and that no one is frauded or otherwise abused.
I suggest you interview a few agents before you make this important decision.
Doug Seemann
520-370-8907
dougs@longrealty.com
You have seen a lot of good reasons to use a Realtor. Another big one is 97% of the homes sold are sold by Realtors. The reasons are experience, marketing, and training. You trained to be a PHD, well Realtors are constantly training and actually have to have as much continuing education as teachers, doctors, lawyer, nurses, etc. They are the Professionals of the Real Estate Business.
If you needed an operation, would you do it yourself or go to court unrepresented? Food for thought.
I believe you to have your home on Trulia you must do it through a local MLS via a Realtor. There are numerous advantages to using an experienced Realtor. You home will be seen by more people, you will have someone on your side for negotiations, and Realtor sold homes sell faster. There are lots of legalities and traps home sellers can fall into unknowingly without a Realtor. The money you make could easily go to attorneys if you make a mistake, or you could end up with a buyer who cannot fulfill their obligation and pay leaving you with headaches trying to get your home back. Why take the risk?
Trulia is for agents, not the for sale by owners.
Bill,

I don't believe Trulia or Zillow have a For Sale by Owner section. Selling your largest asset really deserves to sold by an expert and I would recommend using a full time Realtor. I have sold homes myself before I became a Realtor and I am am still amazed. I got it done.

There are safety concerns if you advertise the home for sale and you have to be there to show the home. Do you really know they can even qualify to buy the home or are even real buyers?

Next, how do you get it marketed? How do you know you are getting the right price for the home? You can do it yourself if you are really good on a computer and can follow up every hour or so. But your access to millions of potential buyers will be limited. Realtors have hundreds of websites they subscribe to to get your home out there and followup at all times via smart phones. Pricing is critical to getting the home sold. Too high and it won't get offers, too low and you leave thousands on the "table". Rarely do homes sell just because there is a sign in the yard.

Now comes a a big concern and that is the legal paperwork. How are you going to find out what you need and how to fill it out? If you do it wrong or omit something, you could be liable for a lawsuit and in some cases you are liable "forever". In a court of law, "I didn't know". is of no help. Remember you are playing with your largest asset and possibly your future assets. The average sale file is about 99 pages of documents!

Realtors are trained and licensed to look after your best wishes and your liabilities. Yes they charge a fee but it is probably the best money you will ever pay. It will be done right to protect you and your assets and they will endeavor to get you the best price. That is what we do for a living.

So, it is about your safety, marketing, legal requirements and liabilities, and getting the best price for you home. It is not an easy job and your Realtor will be doing a lot of work for you before, during, and after the sale.

I and my Team are they to help you if you have any questions about the process just get in contact with us.

.Ric Mills
The Dan Adler Team
Keller Williams Southern Az
2506 E. Vistoso Commerce Loop #100
Oro Valley, Az 85755
Cell 520-548-8940
Fax 520-825-0001
http://www.thedanadlerteam.com
ric925az@gmail.com

The greatest compliment you can give is the referral of your friends and family. If you, or anyone you know, is thinking of buying or selling, please think of me and our TEAM.
If you put your home on one of the "for sale by owner" websites, trulia will pull some of them through - I've seen a few pop up from time to time. Or you can hire a "flat rate" real estate company to list your home in MLS and then it will appear.

My question is why would you not want to use a Realtor? Your home is likely your most valuable asset - not an area where you want to make a mistake.

I think most people considering selling on their own really don't understand everything that we do. I just got a call from someone two days ago that tried to go this route, are now in the middle of a transaction without an agent on either side, and the whole thing has deteriorated into a complete mess and is not likely to close. This is after both parties wasted almost two months thinking that they could handle it and now they will have to start over.

There are more "moving parts" to a transaction than people realize. For an introduction to just some of the things that we do, check out this article on the National Association of Realtor's website: http://www.realtor.com/Basics/AllAbout/Realtors/Why.asp?source=web

I'd appreciate it if you give me a call - I'd be happy to do a complimentary market analysis and go over the details of selling your home with you (no pressure, no hard sales pitch - I promise).

If you don't call me, please consider calling someone that is a licensed REALTOR before you decide to go it alone - at least you will have a good understanding of the process.

Best wishes,

"Tucson Dawn"
Dawn Heinemann
Associate Broker, Long Realty Co.
(520) 401-5874
DawnH@LongRealty.com
http://www.TucsonDawn.com
Hi Bill!

I don't think Trulia is the place to try to sell a home by yourself. If you want to give it a try, Craigslist is a good place to start, or even the local newspaper. Please be careful if you do that. Allowing strangers into your home and giving them a tour of your family, your possessions, and your lifestyle can be dangerous. Sad to say, but the world has gone mad - witness the happenings in Boston yesterday.

If you would like a comparative market analysis on your home so you have the correct price point to start at, let me know. I'm happy to provide that for you.

If you want all of the pitfalls of selling your own home, I can send that list, too! LOL It's not about paying commission. It is about protecting yourself and your family from crooks and thieves. It's about about having good legal advice as you go through the pounds of paperwork necessary to sell a home. It's about finding qualified buyers. It's about getting the highest and best price for your home.

If you want that comparative market analysis with or without the pitfall list, let me know!

Best of luck!

Jo Ann
Hi Bill

No, Trulia as this time does not allow FSBO (For Sale By Owner). You may want to check out Zillow.com they do.

Course there will be no shortgage of agents asking for your business. You may want to look at their recommendations on here and give a couple a call to see what they charge and etc. You have options.

Just in the past 6 months, Tucson has become a "Sellers market", we were named as the #1 place to buy from Forbes last year and things have really picked up.

Wish you the best of luck.
Spirit

Spirit Messingham, PLLC
3rd Generation Full-Time Realtor®
Tierra Antigua Realty
Direct (520) 471-6900
Fax (866) 365-5208
SpiritRealty@cox.net
http://www.TierraAntigua.com
It's your lucky day! Time to call the "area specialist" right away to get it valued and up for sale! I'll wait for your call & contact & house info! You can email me the address of your house you wish to sell with # of BR's, # of baths, estimated Sq. Footage, etc. Hopefully, I'll talk to you soon!

Peace & Blessings,

Evan Harris, REALTOR
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
evancharris@comcast.net
evan.harris@azmoves.com
520.481.2580-direct
520.219-8837-fax
I am not aware of a FSBO sight that syndicates to Trulia.
You can do your own electrical wiring and wrestle aligators too;
but if you don't know HOW TO; why would you try?
Hi Bill,

Trulia is not setup for this. There are other platforms that cater to this. I would love the opportunity to tell you how hiring a Realtor like myself will save you more than the commission you will pay. I guarantee this to all my clients. Please give me a call or shoot me an email today!
Why would you want to let complete strangers who are not pre-qualified enter your home, preview your possessions and get any information about your lifestyle? It is actually dangerous these days not to use a Realtor. Give me a call and I would be glad to give you information about how my commission structure differs than other companies- you will be pleasantly surprised! I would be glad to assist you in any way!
Melissa Key 6015965400
Woodland Realty