Melanie, Home Seller in 54915

Can I list my home with two different realtors at the same time to double my exposure?

Asked by Melanie, 54915 Sat Feb 6, 2010

Answers

25
Kristian Alekov’s answer
No, the local MLS would not allow two agents to list the same listing in it. But what you can do is call as many agents as you know and let them know about your home being for sale, invite them to take a look at it and etc... The more exposure, the better! They will still get paid the Buyer's commission if they were to bring a Buyer!

Affinity Title, Fort Myers, FL - Your Short Sale Expert!
Well, as long as you don't mind paying 2 commissions.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 6, 2010
There, it's done. I listed a property that I own and I listed it with another broker, too. Metro Milwaukee MLS #'s 1336605 and 1269149
You don't need two agents who are mediocre and unmotivated ..

you need ONE Great Agent who understands Marketing and who is committed to working on your property!

If you feel you need more market saturation, offer to pay for some print advertising and additional direct mail, outside of what your agent is already paying for.

Statistics have shown that most homes are sold by other agents with buyers. You might also consider offering a higher then normal commission to your agent, then they might be able to pass along to the buyer agents as an incentive.
No, but you can find an agent who has a "team" of people that he or she works with.
If the one agent does a good job in marketing your home....putting it in the MLS, syndicating on websites, etc......how do you figure a second agent would double the exposure.....and who would you pay in the event the property sold....In FL, most experienced agents refuse an open listing.....if you want an experienced agent to invest their time, energy and $ in marketing your home, they expect to be paid when it sells.....not have the commission in jeopardy at the end! By appearing in MLS, the home is exposed to all agents that are members of the local association, not just two, and the selling agent shares the commission with the listing agent.

HOpe that helps
You can, it's called an open listing and only the agent that finds a buyer gets paid. However I would not recommend it, as no agent is going to spend any time or marketing dollars to advertise it properly. It would make more sense to interview several agents and get references in order to hire the best agent to sell your home.

Marco Gomez
NY State Licensed Associate Broker
Keller Williams Landmark II
Mobile: (917) 734-2012
Fax: (877) 817-9101
marco.gomez@gmail.com
This is true. But most companies/brokerages will not allow agents to enter into an open listing contract.
Flag Thu Apr 24, 2014
The answers below are all great answers. One thing to keep in mind is that almost all nationally recognized Brokerage firms will have maximum exposure. Our company subscribes to something called the IDX system (Internet Data Exchange), which allows our listings to filter out to many other websites, thus creating even more exposure for our sellers. More then 50% of all buyers start, and often find their home, on the internet. So interviewing agents and picking the one that can get the most exposure for you is key. Although, there are many other elements that go in to getting your home sold. Any agent can get it on the internet for you, but not all agents will be able to sell it. So do your homework and ask your friends and family for referrals.

All the best to you and the sale of your home.

Carey Maurer-Pellegrini
Century 21 Acre Realty
Appleton, WI
(920) 740-6280
I would mimic some of these responses as well but would differ in that a larger, more "National" franchise would be best for the most exposure.
A good up and coming Wisconsin Real Estate Firm is Mossy Oak Properties, they are doing quite well is Southwest Wisconsin, and South Eastern Wisconsin.
RE/MAX is another... Web Exposure is by far the most important thing a successful real estate company can posses. Also look for a firm with good solid values. The golden rule prevails in all things.
Melanie- I understand your wanting to get as much exposure as possible, we'd all like to get the biggest "bang for your buck". Speaking from experience I will tell you that two agents/companies is a recipe for disaster. I did this about ten years ago when the spouses could not agree on a Realtor (or anything else), so we had two signs in the yard, two property descriptions, two companies trying to schedule showings...YIKES. Finally it was too much to handle for the sellers and the other company pulled their sign. I could go on and on about this subject but your best option is to sit down and discuss your needs with a qualified agent that will listen to you.
Hi Melanie:

I have seen people sign a listing agreement with two agents - whether they are with the same brokerage or different brokerage. However, most of the time it's due to the fact that the owners either know both really well (friends, family members), or the agents work together as a team, or the owners have different ideas and can not come up with an agreement (divorce, ..etc). In one case, we even see two signs on the front lawn, which made it look a bit of strange, if you asked me.

If I was you, I would interview a few agents (by referral or now a days, you can get to know some agents by their online presence), and get the best one to represent you. You will get undivided attention and loyalty, the same MLS presence and make sure they have great online presence and work well with your style. That would be your best bet.

Sylvia Barry
Marin, Sonoma
Frank Howard Allen Realtors
(415) 717-0293
http://www.SylviaSellsMarin.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Novato, CA
While there is such a thing as an "open listing"... (where multiple agents will list your home competing to see who will sell your home first), in most areas of the U.S., they won't be allowed to list it multiple times in the MLS, thereby handicapping your listing by keeping it out of one of the best methods to expose your property to agents (and therefore their buyers)... so rather than "doubling your exposure" you're really "hampering your exposure"... it's not really something I recommend.

And most agents (not all) will balk at taking an "open listing", which basically means "I get to spend lots of money and effort on listing your property, and someone else could jump into the fray at any moment, and sell the house out from under me".

Most agents will not want to enter into such an agreement, and I think you can probably understand why.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Melanie,

You are right about improving your chances of selling your property by involving as many people as possible....this is called market visibility and is inclusive of a good comprehensive marketing plan.

Our recommendation is to list your property with the agent(singular) that can provide you with a well defined written marketing plan that includes the exposure you are seeking.

Thank you for your question...it has certainly stimulated an interesting dialog.

Best wishes with your sale.

The Eckler Team
Melanie,

I think you get the point based on the answers below. A listing is an agreement to pay a commission if your property sells. Multiple listings are agreements to pay multiple commissions!

In order to get the most out of your listing you want to list with an agency that has the resources to promote your property is the broadest possibe way. You also want to select an agent that is willing to do the additional marketing that will get your home viewed by potential buyers. (Not All Agents Are Created Equal!) That agent should also be skilled in a way to negotiate for you! After all, you want the best possible price, best terms and a closing within the timeframe that works for you. Interview and find an agent you trust and then follow their advice to get the job done.

I hope this helps!
Ahhhh Mack - thanks.................I stand corrected.................open listings would allow for that.......of course, one could question whether an open listing is truly a listing!!
You can list with two different brokerages if you don't want it in the MLS.

Open listings are perfectly legal, they just aren't much more than commission agreements.
Eric - hah ........... loved your answer!!

Well, Melanie........... I guess you got the point - no, you can't list simultaneously with 2 agents.

Select 1, and follow their advice!

Good luck with the sale of your home!
Your broadest exposure today will be by having your property on they key Real Estate Web Sites that
you and/or your Realtor are aware of. Having your property listed with a local Realtor belonging to a Multiple Listing Service (MLS) is a good idea. An MLS will have Systems that provide strong exposure to properties in that specific area and generally share much of this information with other Real Estate Web Sites in an automated fashion using technology know as Internet Data Exchange. Focus on finding the Company/Agent that will do the best job for you.
You would NOT be doubling your exposure. However, each agent has a marketing plan that should go above and beyond what their company may do. You owe it to yourself to meet with 2 to 3 qualified agents to determine what has worked well for your particular home within the market setting. Always remember that it boils down to the 3 Ps----Price, Promotion, and Presentation. If any one is weak, the other 2 will suffer.
Melanie,
These are challenging times for buyers and sellers. All the previous answers to your question are right on. I just want to add a couple thoughts. You'll want to ensure your odds of selling by finding an agent you can trust, that will work hard for you (and only you), and is a professional. Someone with marketing savvy as well as providing you with the top service.

The two most important keys to selling in this market are beauty and price. By that I mean your home is in good condition and has good curb appeal. The other key is price - priced realistically within your market.

Best of luck to you.
Web Reference: http://www.JeanHedren.com
I dont think you would be doubling the exposure with 2 realtors, they can only put it up on one MLS.
Web Reference: http://www.lennyfrolov.com
NO MLS will block the listing. Why ? what would be the point. All agents have MLS access

Lynn911
Melanie
Very interesting question.

A couple of thoughts for you to consider:

1. Why would a Realtor take a listing, knowing that they had a 50/50 chance of actually selling the property?

2. When I take a listing I am investing a great deal of time, effort, and resources to market a property. To put this in terms that might help you understand, how would you like to invest $1,000 into a project with the odds 50/.50 that you will not only recoup your investment, nor make a profit?

3. If your Realtor has an excellent marketing plan (just for the record, not all Realtors are equal-only about 35% of Realtors are full-time) then they should be able to help you understand why they do what they do and how it will help you sell your property for top dollar.

4. A minority of properties are marketed and priced correctly. I am going to use stats from my MLS to make my point: Listings that sell within 30 days sell closest to asking price. For the month of January listings sold for 100.99% of asking price. 36% of the listings that sold. That means that the rest, 64%, sold for less than asking price. At 120 days that is 93.6% of asking....and that is AFTER price reductions.

So you need a Realtor with a marketing plan that you can understand, and one that values getting your home sold for the highest price, which means all of the marketing must hit at the same time. This requires a plan, organized execution, and follow up. Skills that only a very small amount of Realtor possess.

90% of the time listings sell to buys brought by other Realtors. Realtors who know price, value, and have buyers that are qualified.

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Technically, if your agent is a member of the MLS (Multiple Listing Service), and your home is being featured in the MLS, all of the agents who subscribe to the MLS are working for you. The only time that this is not the case is when a potential buyer is coming through your home, and that buyer is under contract for representation with the agent who introduced them to your property.

The MLS is like a library of information which consists of all property that is currently available, failed to sell, and sold within the marketplace. Everything that is included there is very meticulously catalogued (thanks to your Realtor) and sent out to websites who will share that information with the world. I can't imagine there being any better exposure than a cooperative effort through the MLS.
Web Reference: http://www.scwihomes.com
Most MLS if not all really don't allow it--and it would serve no purpose as you would be paying double the commission,--unless of course both agencies agree to co-broke and split commissions. Choose your agent with care-- price your property on target for today's market, make sure it is neat, clean and clutter free, remember to always show it as a property to remember.