Home Selling in Apple Valley>Question Details

Stacy, Home Buyer in Hollywood, FL

Can I give less commission to my realtor for poor work?

Asked by Stacy, Hollywood, FL Tue Mar 18, 2014

Ok, my house is under contract the realtor did his job there. BUT since that doc was signed he has been terrible! He does not respond in a timely manner if at all, and I have had to all the leg work when problems with the buyer's financing arose. He did not even tell me, I heard it from my other realtor in a different state that I am buying a home with. I have had to call the buyer's lender numerous times as well as talking to the title company numerous times. Now it is less than a week before close and I do not even have a confirmation that it will close on time, actually he forwarded my questions to the title company and never responded to me. I do not want him to get full commission as he is doing NOTHING at this point. Feedback?

Answers

9
If you are unhappy with agent, have a discussion with him/her; if the chat proves unsatisfactory contact his/her broker owner and or, office manager and express your concerns. Since you state,
"had to all the leg work when problems with the buyer's financing arose. He did not even tell me, I heard it from my other realtor in a different state that I am buying a home with", how would that agent know such information--stop relying on heresay which may or may not be accurate, go right to the source. As to the commission, the question can't really be answered you signed the fee agreement, and for all we know, the agent may be doing much behind the scenes legwork in order to get you to that closing table; also be mindful that your agent may not be getting timely responses from those he/she questions for answers...
In short the answer is no according to the contract you signed with the listing agent and broker. However, you could meet with your realtor and their broker and discuss the situation. A Realtor's job isn't over once the contract is signed. He or she should be available to answer questions and follow up on any situations through closing. When is the appraisal? Did the property appraise at the purchase price? When is the lender issuing the commitment letter if it's in the contract? Are there any delays to the commitment letter and why? Following up with the title company to schedule the closing date and time? Final walkthrough? etc, Listing a home for sale and helping a buyer purchase a home doesn't end with the signed contract. It's building a relationship with those clients for future business and in order to get future business from those clients, a Realtor should follow up with those clients on a timely basis, no matter what the question.
You have to pay whatever amount you agreed to ..via your contract. Please read your contract so that you are sure of what you agreed to and signed.
Seeking to understand why there has been a lack of communication might be your best first step. If possible, a meeting with the Realtor and his Broker could help get clarification and allow you to explain your frustrations. Since the listing agreement focuses on the sale of your home, there are not usually any provisions that would prorate the commission for less than stellar service. Ultimately you may not be able to pay less commission, but you can choose not to provide referrals for your agent to your family and friends. Real Estate is a relationship and referral business and the Realtors that understand this, are the ones that should earn your business next time.
Stacy,
Will it be OK with you, if the BUYER OF YOUR HOME decides to not abide by the contract they signed?
They may say..."I've changed my mind, I want to buy your house for $50,000 less than what appears on the contract and close on June 32"?

If that works for you, then you might find the ability to not fulfill the commitment you agreed to in the listing contract you signed. You clearly see that in such an environment, anarchy would reign.

That is why contracts must be honored. Let there be no doubt, there exists an army of attorneys who look for opportunities to enforce executed contracts upon those who go rogue.

It matters not how thin you slice the loaf, there is always two sides.
I would like to hear from the other side.
Dear Stacy,

So sorry to hear you are not being given the service you deserve and are paying for. The managing broker, as others have said, should be brought into this now. Does your listing agreement with this broker state his duties? That might be your talking points with the managing broker, and that you feel that the agent hasn't met the requirements. Best of luck and I do hope you get to closing on time!
Sounds like others have chimed in and given you the right answer already, but no sorry to say you cannot since you signed a contract specifying the amount of commission % that they will be paid. And yes I wholeheartedly agree with what they said as well with contacting the agents office/broker. We are in a service industry to our clients, if we are not performing our duties correctly or up to par then the person needs to be told to shape up. With the biggest transaction of your life there should be nothing in your expectations that they shouldn't strive to meet. Sorry that you found an agent who's lacking in the idea of service, but I hope if in the future you need a Realtor again that it turns out much better for you.
The short answer is no, you are bound by the contract, however I would strongly advise a phone call to his Broker/Owner to share your experience and/or a phone call to the local Real Estate Board.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
Stacey,
Your contract controls how much his Office receives. Unless he's the owner broker, the commission is sent to the office where it is divided. The good news here is that your agent reports to a managing broker who's job it is to supervise, train and if necessary discipline him.
I would encourage you to take your concerns to the managing broker. They may answer your questions, step in and take over, assign someone else or find some other potential solution.
Sorry you're having difficulties. To the best of your ability document what you've requested, when and when/if the agent responded. This will help the managing broker understand your situation better. Best of luck.
Thank you Dan. I did end up contacting the broker who did nothing. I understand that you do not need to be a rocket scientist to be a Realtor/Broker which is very evident from some of the replies on here, but negative online feedback could destroy a business so I would think the broker and realtor should have attempted to make me happy. Not the case so I went to town on angie's list, yelp, google + and quite a few more. Not only do I feel the need to inform the public of my experience but he deserves to loose business over this. And for all of you that are going to jump on the slander band wagon look up the definition before you post. Business law was one of my favorite classes in my degree program. What was yours in your realtor degree program? Oh wait...
Again thank you to the good people out there that actually should be realtors and tried to help.
Flag Sat Jun 28, 2014