Rfalcone,  in Thousand Oaks, CA

Can I get an appraisal of my home using Trulia?

Asked by Rfalcone, Thousand Oaks, CA Sun Oct 31, 2010

Answers

13
Barry Shapiro’s answer
Here's the updated quarterly Market Snapshot. It appears the home price range is now in the mid-300s to very low 400s, depending on amenities, location and condition: http://www.topmarketer.net/MSReport/RTMSMain.aspx?cnsmr=1&am… I hope this report helps.
Rfalcone,

I will simply refer you to Carls response with one proviso between Agents. Zillow estimates do not have no value. Zillow is a resource people use as a rule of thumb and come into play in real estate discussion becasue they affect peoples perceptions of value. This is HUGE.

For instance a seller interviews a broker and sayd "Zillow says my home is worth $450k and you want to list my home at $350k?!?!?!" The broker explains that zillow has no value as Carl describes and the home gets listed at $350k"

The broker is now doing the first open house and the buyer comes into the home and says "I say the Z-estimate on this home is 350k, it was such a deal I had to see it!" Now the broker has to tread lightly. Is the broker really going to say to a buyer the Z-estimate has no value? Is saying that the zestimate has no value a factual statement? This is the agents connundrum.

Zillow shows buyers all local values so one can look a cluster of data and if the person is analytical, make a reasonable assessment of the calidity of the data. Zillow estimates are absed on title record averages and are a reasonable barometer of market values like non-comp home sales across differing neighborhhods. It is simply one additional opinion of value and is a valuable tool if used properly (read => not for concrete assessment of a value of ones home)
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
Rfalcone:

Like Anna, I am curious as to why you are asking this question if you are a broker …

Need an appraisal? Hire a qualified appraiser in your area.

Need a CMA? If you are a broker, you should be able to do this yourself. If you are not, talk to a few local Realtors.

Need a Guesstimate? Trulia does not have a program like Zillow, and I NEVER recommend using Zillow’s Zestimate platform … here’s why:

Zestimates: Zany, Zesty Z-Evaluations With Zero Z-Value
http://bit.ly/a5vBuc
.
The short answer is no. And as a certified appraiser, i have never used Trulia or Zillow for help. If you truly need an appraisal, hire an experienced appraiser. If you need to get an idea of how my much you should list your home for, hire an experienced Sales Agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 31, 2010
Hi Rfalcone:

I suspect you are thinking of something like Zillow's "Zestimates." For the most part, such automated estimates are fun, but have little use in determining the actual value of a property. The last time I checked, Zillow claimed their Zestimates were within 10 percent of the actual value of a property about 50 percent of the time, which means they are pretty worthless for making real world decisions.

I don't believe Trulia has a similar estimate system. You can ask a real estate agent for a comparative market analysis (CMA), which should give you a good idea about the market value of a property, but an appraisal can only be provided by a licensed appraiser.

Ron
You can pay for your own appraisal but you will not be able to use the report for anything other than personal information. If you need an appraisal to purchase or refinance a mortgage, only the lender funding the loan can order the appraisal.

If your objective is to help determine market value, you can ask a loan officer you work with to run an AVM through their credit reporting service. There are different levels of AVM's. The full version comes with an appraisal value and those cost approx. $20 bucks.

All the Best,
Barbara
As the other Realtor's have answered, you will need to get your appraisal through a licensed appraiser. If you would like a recommendation, please let me know. Have a great day! Cynthia Gates 310.713.1011; cynthia.gates10@gmail.com
You must used a liscensed appraiser for this .
If you are a broker as stated under your name--why ask such a question........
No, in the state of California you can only get an appraisal of your home from a licensed appraiser. Looking online may give you a general indication but an appraisal is a thorough expert opinion that can be relied on for a variety of purposes.
Web Reference: http://MintProperties.net
I will be happy to email you a Market Snapshot report which is personalized: it charts market activity-- current up-to-the-minute --with homes in your area, including such data as sold homes, properties for sale, inventory counts and even days-on-market. It will include a map, as well. Here's a sample report: http://www.marketsnapshot.info/MSReport/RTMSMain.aspx?cnsmr=…

There are many 'intangibles' behind this data, such as whether homes were fixed up or not, special amenities and the like. I have the local market expertise to help you interpret this information fully. Additionally, for a fee, Steve Gould with Keller Williams is both an agent and appraiser -- and has appraised homes for me prior to listing. If you are refinancing, the appraisal will beordered by the lender. We specialize in long distance and paperless transactions using DocuSign for our client's convenience.
Realtors cannot give you an appraisal, only a licensed appraiser can do that. But an agent can give you a analysis of sold and listed properties in your neighborhood which will give you a good indication of what your home would sell for in today's market.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
You can obtain a market analysis of you home from a local Realtor. This market analysis will be based on recent sales in your neighborhood. In most if not all cases, the analysis is free for the asking; but you may want to also consider hiring a local certified appraiser at a fee.