Debbies, Home Buyer in Queensbury, NY

Can I be home during an appraisal that a buyer's bank is having on my home?

Asked by Debbies, Queensbury, NY Thu Jun 3, 2010

Is it ok for the seller to be present during an appraisal from a potential buyer's bank?Also am I allowed to ask the results of that appraisal?
Thanks.

Answers

6
Your agent can best answer your question--Yes, you can be home for the appraisal, however if you don't have to be home for that half hour or so, don't be, unless otherwise advised. Generally--it is not customary to ask for the results of the appraisal as the actual appraisal work isn't necessarily done during the visit--they do review data regarding recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 3, 2010
Yes, you can be there. You know the house best and can answer any questions the appraiser may have.
Yes you can be there if you wish to be there but you are not going to learn anything. The person who pays for the appraisal will know about the appraised value. Some sellers get an appraisal before listing their homes.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Debbies

The previous answers are correct you can be at your home during the appraisal but it is not advisable and the appraiser will not tell you what the value is. What I may suggest is you have your realtor there with several comps of homes in your area that support thae value you are selling it for. Withthe new appraisal rules it is not unheard of to have an appraisal from another area come to your home with little to no knowledge of the area who then submits an apprasial that comes in under value. I'm sure this is what you are trying to avoid.

Good luck with the sale.

Christopher Lyon
Debbies,

Yes, you can be home. The appraiser will not have any results he is there to measure and compare your home to the other homes they have selected as possible comparables. He may also inspect some items like heating, flooring, holes in drywall etc. I would suggest that you not be present and let them just quickly do their job and leave.
Debbie it is alright for you to be home for the appraisers visit. They are not going to be there long anyway because most of the appraisal work is done in the office.
You are allowed to ask for anything but the appraisal by law can not be shared with you by the appraiser or the buyers lender, but you can ask.