Bill, Home Seller in Staten Island, NY

Can I add a dollar value to the asking price of my 2800 Sq ft home if I tear out carpet & refinish the hardwood floors ?

Asked by Bill, Staten Island, NY Sat Oct 12, 2013

I have had a large number of buyers viewing home. They are stuck on the carpet throughout the home. They keep making low ball offers claiming they are worried about what the condition of floor is under the carpet. Since there are very good hardwood floors below the carpet, I want to tear out the carpet & then increase the price due to the improvement. I haven't done it to date as the house is furnished & I like carpet under my feet. My agent thinks I should just wait for a buyer that likes carpet. I'm tired of hearing about the carpet being passe. It seems many people like the house but think they can bargain a price reduction on any item that is no longer in style. If I do the work I want to get a return that reflects a price with hardwood floors. What would be a fair increase for hardwood? My agent thinks it's counter productive to do anything & that an increase in price would turn prospective buyers away . I told agent I would see what others have to say first.

Answers

7
Janet Pipes’ answer
You have real hardwood floors underneath! That's a dream for many buyers as opposed to do-it-yourself harwood flooring available at many stores.

You may like the feel of the carpet, but if you are getting a negative reaction it may be worth the small expense and inconvenience to take out the carpet and have those floor polished and ready to go.

Removing the carpets and showing the hardwoods will attract more serious buyers but it will not increase the value of your home. Your agent is right about increasing the price but may not be right about removing the carpets.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 14, 2013
If in fact the carperting is proving to be a hindrance, go ahead and remove it; however don't expect added dollar value for such a cosmetic repair...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013
What do similar homes in your area have? Carpet or wood? If buyers are looking at other houses with wood and yours without then they would naturally want to buy yours at a lower price than the others. Ask your realtor to pull up some active, contingent and recently sold homes and look at their pictures and descriptions. How is your home compare to them on the price and condition?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 12, 2013
Bill,

Do you want to sell? Tear out the carpet and finish the floors. Time is money. The speedier you sell, the more value the current asking price has.

No, you cannot increase the price for doing this. A house will only pass appraisal if it is comparative to recent sales (90 days) within the same school district and zip code and preferably, intimate neighborhood.

Do the floors and sell the house and get on with your life.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 12, 2013
The house will definitely show better if you remove the carpet and finish the HW floors. Of course it is more then HW floors affecting the sale of your home. Check with your agent and make sure it is priced right.
Hello Bill, why did you hire your agent if you don't want that agent's advice. The fact that your feedback indicates the carpet is an issue should answer the question as to it's removal. Your agent probably priced your home based on comparable area sales within a recent time period. The fact that you are removing undesirable carpet to display a positive - the hardwood floors does not warrant a price increase.